Disgusted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disgusted

Ok so I don't read the news much anymore and I suppose this is the reason I choose not to read, people are horrible.
    So the article I am reading (is not available online for free, so I can't post a link.) Apparently a man was brought to the ER via ambulence because he was suffering from chest pains. The man had a history of cardiac issues, so it was sensible for him to go to the hospital and get checked out. The hospital (Beebe) Kept this man for about an hour before sending him home and telling him to call his primary care doctor in the morning.
    The man calles his brother at about 7PM tuesday evening, but his brother was unable to come get him. The man was waiting for a family member to check their messages or for the busses to start running again, not sure. But when he was still sitting there at 10AM Wednesday morning, someone finally decided to check on him. He had died of a heart attack in the night and rigor mortis had set in.
    HOW THE HELL TO PEOPLE GET AWAY WITH THIS CRAP!
    I cannot understand how this sort of thing can happen, maybe it's just me and the hospital I work in is different. How do you not know someone has died when they are sitting there in front of you? A person having a heart attack is not silent, nor are they not painful. The man had to be in a clear ammount of pain, and he was in a place that he could, AND SHOULD HAVE, been helped.
    People suck.
    /end pissy rant.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Re: Disgusted

Uh, heart attacks aren't necessarliy so dramatic. As a matter of fact, my grandfather's cardilogist told me that MOST heart attacks are painless. Numbness and shortness of breath are actually better indicators of heart attacks than chest pain.

I don't know the circumstances, but could he not have just died in his sleep? Yes, it's horrible... but this seems like just slipping through the cracks, unless this is a particularly common occurance then it's just unfortunate happenstance.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I don't know but it seems to me like something could have been done. The article states that the patient had a history of heart conditions, and if they had kept him in the hospital overnight for observation, someone would have noticed. Also painful or not, nothing excuses the inability to notice a dead a human being sitting in front of you for 10 hours. He was in the hospital, in front of the desk, where a nurse is always posted, from 7 PM when he was discharged until 10 AM when they realized he was dead. Did no one have any sort of concern for a man staying in one place without moving for that long? I know we call cabs for our patients if they can't get home, eh maybe I work in a better hospital or something, it just makes me crazy is all!

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Here's an article on it available online: http://capegazette.villagesoup.com/n...ng-room/900081

From the sounds of it, yeah, the hospital should have kept him overnight. All they really did was confirm that he had an abnormal heartbeat and then released him.
        Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

What gets me isn't the fact that he died, sitting in a hospital, an emergency room waiting area, in fact, but that the hospital considered him to be in stable condition. Obviously, there's a contradiction, there. Stable would mean NOT dead. And NOT in danger of BECOMING dead. So he's released, it's a minor issue. The fact that he had a heart attack, later, is kind of irrelevant, in that respect. Unless he wasn't actually stable, prior to the heart attack that killed him, the hospital had no reason to keep him.

No. I feel the problem is that nobody, in however many hours, tried to interact with this guy. The assumption that he was asleep is a bit suspicious, if you ask me. How can people just sort of ignore this man that doesn't move? For hours.

I was sitting in my father's hospital room when he died. I was busy playing electronic solitaire, at 6:30 AM. I STILL knew in far less than two minutes. Nobody noticed this guy for well beyond two hours. That really bugs me. Wrongful death? Bullshit. I want to see actual evidence of that, instead of inference.
          Last edited by ChainLightning; 23 Sep 2012, 09:50.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Nowadays, it seems that many countries have to deal with a big "hospital's crisis" .... not enough money, not enough staff, not enough room... not enough everything... No wonder such accidents happen.

Private hospitals could be a good alternative if they weren't that expensive.

Comment

Well I guess as the court case progresses, it shall be made clear what happened with autopsies and such. I suppose it is the fact that he sat there for so long while dead that gets me more than anything, I feel like he could still be alive if they had taken the precaution of keeping him overnight for observation and I guess that's how the family feels, but it is speculation and it could be that he still would have died. When its your time and all that I guess. Well whatever I'm not a doctor, but leaving him alone there for so long is truly tragic. I guess humanity is as bad as it seems sometimes...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Larkin View Post
                Nowadays, it seems that many countries have to deal with a big "hospital's crisis" .... not enough money, not enough staff, not enough room... not enough everything... No wonder such accidents happen.

Private hospitals could be a good alternative if they weren't that expensive.
                I think that's the problem. Private hospitals are not a solution.

We have a dual system here, and I don't think it helps any. In fact, sometimes privately insured patients get -worse- care, because doctors and hospitals make so much money off them that often they give them unnecessary treatment, which isn't always a good idea. I don't trust health care for profit. I'll stay publicly insured.

I know that both here and in Canada, they could greatly cut down on hospital and doctors visits if more preventative medicine was practiced. I think both countries are trying, but Canada moreso than Germany. Both countries are trying to combat things like obesity. Germany struggles though in that Germans are the most hypochondriacal culture I've ever seen. The go to the doctor for EVERY LITTLE THING. I think it must be really expensive for the system, and it kind of makes me angry. They have all these made-up illnesses as well, like circulation problems (and I swear, at least 1/3 of Germans suffer from it) and spring-exhaustion (when you get tired from the seasons changing from winter to spring...yep, this is a thing here). I'm sorry, Germans, but these are not reasons to clog up the waiting room of your doctors office. If you REALLY have circulation problems (rare), you can solve that by exercising most of the time. And if you really think you have fatigue from the onset of spring, take a few naps over the weekend. GAH.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I agree with Chain...I find the worrying thing in this case to be the fact that this man was ignored.

Comment

Working...
                X