Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mixed beliefs and inner confusion.

Nov 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan
    Phrase
    70% of my body is sugar and coffee... the rest is squirrel. ^_^

Re: Mixed beliefs and inner confusion.

Ever since I came across this thread, I have been pondering my choices of Gods and Goddesses... They do work for me in combination and most likely I won't change them, but I am curious to know what others may think of the mix... So, my main Gods and Goddesses are: Diana, Aphrodite, Pan, and Osiris. Are they suppose to mix? Is it a good combination or bad one? What do you think? I honestly want to hear opinions, suggestions, ideas. I'm just looking for something to mull over, perhaps expand or explore. ^_^

Aug 2012
    Religion
    animist hedge witch.
    Phrase
    Even if you're only a boy, you can fight like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverSong View Post
    Ever since I came across this thread, I have been pondering my choices of Gods and Goddesses... They do work for me in combination and most likely I won't change them, but I am curious to know what others may think of the mix... So, my main Gods and Goddesses are: Diana, Aphrodite, Pan, and Osiris. Are they suppose to mix? Is it a good combination or bad one? What do you think? I honestly want to hear opinions, suggestions, ideas. I'm just looking for something to mull over, perhaps expand or explore. ^_^
    I am one of the people who works a bit with god soup myself, I tend to analyse them with a more universalist attitude, but I like putting names to what I do... Partly out of habit and partly because I can't find a good reason not too. I don't see a problem with you personal prefrences, I personally feel like osiris is the odd man out, but I don't know as much about pan or osiris as I could. So its hard for me to form a solid opinion. But again I have my own special brand of crazy, that I would not want to justify to anyone, so I think you are good to go!
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Nov 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de Luna View Post
    I am one of the people who works a bit with god soup myself, I tend to analyse them with a more universalist attitude, but I like putting names to what I do... Partly out of habit and partly because I can't find a good reason not too. I don't see a problem with you personal prefrences, I personally feel like osiris is the odd man out, but I don't know as much about pan or osiris as I could. So its hard for me to form a solid opinion. But again I have my own special brand of crazy, that I would not want to justify to anyone, so I think you are good to go!
    I agree, Osiris does seem like the odd man out. LOL! Everyone else seem to fit better. Yet, I'm so drawn to the story of Osiris and when I first started my path, he was the first God I uttered by candlelight. Though, I wanted your honest thoughts and got it, thank you! At least I know I'm not alone in thinking, "Erm... Osiris... does he really fit?" I just attribute him to the darker side of myself, of death and rebirth. Everyone else is directed to the "living" parts of me that I can relate to. At one point, I had added Poseidon to the mix, but that just didn't feel right and I added him because I like water and I thought he was "cool". Not a good reason to pick a God and I may have offended Him too! LOL! Or I would be offended, if I was a God and follower says, "I'm going to add you to my list, because you seem cool and carry a trident!" Hey, I was young and sillier than I am now. ;^_^

Apr 2005
    Religion
    Hedgewitch

Quote Originally Posted by RiverSong View Post
    They do work for me in combination and most likely I won't change them
    Of course, this is the most important part. Deities speak to people in different ways/we speak to them in different ways, we're on different paths, have different needs, and so on... We all have to go with what actually works and makes sense to us, even if other people don't like it for whatever reason.

That said...

Diana, Aphrodite, Pan, and Osiris. Are they suppose to mix? Is it a good combination or bad one? What do you think?
    Now, out of curiosity, when you say mix - are you worshiping/working with all four at once? Speaking more broadly, you've got Greek, Roman, and Egyptian deities there. These cultures and pantheons did all mix, to some extent, in ancient times. (The deity Serapis originated from a blending of Osiris and other Egyptian concepts, with Greek and later Roman ones...) I don't think there's anything especially weird about this particular mix, even including Osiris.

Good and bad are, of course, pretty subjective. If it's working for you, that seems good to me.

Nov 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenia View Post
    Of course, this is the most important part. Deities speak to people in different ways/we speak to them in different ways, we're on different paths, have different needs, and so on... We all have to go with what actually works and makes sense to us, even if other people don't like it for whatever reason.

That said...

Now, out of curiosity, when you say mix - are you worshiping/working with all four at once? Speaking more broadly, you've got Greek, Roman, and Egyptian deities there. These cultures and pantheons did all mix, to some extent, in ancient times. (The deity Serapis originated from a blending of Osiris and other Egyptian concepts, with Greek and later Roman ones...) I don't think there's anything especially weird about this particular mix, even including Osiris.

Good and bad are, of course, pretty subjective. If it's working for you, that seems good to me.
    Sigh of relief here... I keep forgetting that's why I was drawn to paganism in the first place! That freedom following the deities that speak to you, even if it's different or weird to others. Thanks for reminding me of that, Gardenia. ^_^

To answer your question, no I only work with one God and one Goddess at a time, but I mix and match the couples. Sometimes it's Osiris and Diana or Pan and Aphrodite, or Osiris Aphrodite, and so on. And depending on mood or need, another God or Goddess may come into the rite or prayer, usually Greek or Roman. But for the most part it's mostly these four that are constant. It works for me or seem to anyways, I have no complaints. Yet, I have a fear offending my deities, so I ask because I don't want to mix a God and Goddess who generally would hate each other or not associate with each other... if such a thing exist. I admit that I am not knowledgeable of every God and Goddess out there in the universe, I'm constantly learning about more. And before finding this thread, I didn't even think that maybe mixing would be weird across the pantheons or haphazard. It was not mentioned in the books for solitary Wicca when I started and I've had no formal training getting into this path many years ago, just books, websites, and a lot of guess work. So, I'm open to asking questions and learning more. Thanks for telling me about the cultures and pantheons mixing with Greek, Roman, and even Egyptian. I've been too afraid to ask on other forums, because of the attitudes towards "newbie questions". And I didn't want to get laughed at, especially when I've been practicing for so long. ;^_^