Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixed beliefs and inner confusion.

Jan 2012
    Religion
    Searching

Re: Mixed beliefs and inner confusion.

Who's the Heathen god who reached out?

I don't see any reason why you can't do two pantheons, as long as you take care with it. Heathen values are very different from ancient Greek values - the deities are also very different. Heathen values have an aspect on morality, for example courage, loyalty, and trust are important virtues. Greek religions and Greek gods (in my view!) do not have the same moral ideals. The emphasis is more on ritual rather than living the best lifestyle.

So before you go and start mixing, find your moral ground. Because the minute you start mixing pantheons you begin mixing cultures. And unless you have your own cultural base upon which you can stand, I don't see the point of being a pagan (not to be mean or anything ). But in my mind you can't worship someone like Poseidon (jealous, greedy, mean) and worship a goddess like Sunna (life-giving, caring). It doesn't equate. If you're worshiping opposites, then you become divided - this is why pagan people usually venerate one or a handful of gods rather than the whole pantheon.

Good luck
    "Wealth is as swift | as a winking eye
    Of friends the falsest it is."

Havamal, 74

"The wolf that lies idle | shall win little meat,
    Or the sleeping man success."

Havamal, 58

May 2012
    Religion
    Cultus Deorum Romanorum

I tear myself between pantheons. My chiefmost patron god and goddess are Greek, but I also worship Cernunnos, and honour several gods from British and Gaulish pantheons. The way I see it, the "pantheons" are cultural constructions just as much as they are associations between gods. So, I don't see them as a hard-and-fast barrier to my worshipping or venerating deities from across different cultures. Depending on one's path, that is. I'm a Wiccan, which is a very modern pagan religion and isn't at all a reconstruction of any past culture; so the cultural mores of the Greeks or Northern Germanic tribes aren't particularly relevant to my path. The gods that call to me are.

Nov 2012
    Religion
    Pantheism

I love this thread!

I've had that experience, and don't rule out that I might go through it again.

I've also participated in this discussion many times over the years, and have run across a lot of people who issue angry warnings about mixing pantheons, and accuse people of dishonoring deities and religions.

While I have come to appreciate those aspects, I also appreciate how important a stage of spiritual growth and awakening this experience is for many of us.

Questioning, trying new things, feeling called are all common experiences in areas of our life. A sort of adolescent "coming of age" type of thing. A huge opportunity, albeit awkward. I think awareness during the process is likely to render the most from the experience.

Awareness allows us to explore and honor and grow, while cockiness blinds us and makes us confrontational.

If someone, upon hearing what you are experiencing, tells you you are doing it wrong...try not to let your ego get defensive and angry, try to ask why they feel that way, and to consider their response.

If you feel fear, or confidence, or faith or doubt...sit with those feelings and ask yourself why, where are they coming from.

If it's awkward, allow it to be awkward for awhile. If it feels right, accept the blessing and gifts it has to offer.

It felt very weird for me, when I felt a deity was reaching out to me, because it was foreign to my experience. It took a lot of acceptance and openess for me to not reject the experience out of hand, but to allow it to lead me to fresh exploration.

Staying in discussion with people on their experiences, just as this thread is doing, really helped me get the most from the experience, because it helped me not get too cocky or defensive. Because it helped me stay open to various aspects, when the impatient insecure part of me wanted to come to a decision, wrap it all up and put a label on it.

Nov 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan
    Phrase
    70% of my body is sugar and coffee... the rest is squirrel. ^_^

Interesting. I never came across this issue or worry before. Then again, I'm on the solitary path, so I just follow the few Gods and Goddesses that spoke to me first... Two Greek, one Egyptian, and one Roman. Almost sounds like a set up for a bad bar joke... but this works for me and they don't seem to conflict. And I'm very much a "whatever works" type of person. ^_^

Aug 2012
    Religion
    animist hedge witch.
    Phrase
    Even if you're only a boy, you can fight like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    Pantheon mixing can go one of three ways.

1) very, very well.

2) horrifically bad and I start wondering if you think the Divine is a mall where you're picking out fashionable gods for the year.

3) soft polytheism.

Long as you avoid the option in the middle, you should be okay. Just progress with care and respect for (and research into) both traditions.
    I have mostly ended with number 3 and a heavier leaning toward universalism than I realised...
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Aug 2012
    Religion
    aztec beliefs
    Phrase
    No limit may be set to art, neither is there any craftsman that is fully master of his craft.

Quote Originally Posted by ConsultingTrickster View Post
    A certain Heathen God pretty much just sprang out of the woodwork and made contact with me.
    May I ask which Heathen god??
    ~ flowers are our only garments
    only songs make our pain subside ~

Nov 2012
    Religion
    Heathen Druid

I had a mixed system of Christianity/Gnosticism/Paganism for a while but I've finally worked my way through the muddle.

Druidry is the way for me now, and glad I've finally managed to focus on the one path - much more relaxed now that I no longer have to perform the daily mental gymnastics!

saying that, I still have a copy of the Gnostic Bible (the Nag Hammadi Scriptures) and am intending to give it one more read soon (the 3rd time) before finally letting go of it.

Banned!
    Oct 2012
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan Witch
    Phrase
    "The best ideas often come from the worst minds."

I'm a soft polytheist. I feel that all named Gods/Goddesses are of worth but also that they are all just fragments of the true divine. We can't relate to divinity in its purest form, so it appears to us in ways we can understand.

If you like; the named Gods are divinity tainted my human ideas and expectations.

My Goddess has many names (she told me so herself). I believe one of those names to be Hecate.

Aurora

I can totally relate to this.

I'm a polytheist studying ADF Druidry, and I'm currently caught between two pantheons (or hearths as ADF calls them). I started working with the Irish pantheon, specifically with Brighid and Lugh. After a few years of working with them, I had two Roman Deities pop into my life. It's been kind of a strange road, reconciling the two practices since my approach is taking elements of historical practice and modernizing it. I am still working on it.

My suggestion is to keep doing what you are doing - honor the Gods that speak to you, literally and metaphorically. If you feel that it would be better, keep your worship of Hellenic deities separate from this Norse God who has popped up. The best thing to do? Ask the God in question what he would prefer. Speak to some people who follow the Norse tradition and see what customs you can incorporate into your own practice, or take an eclectic approach to your path. You don't necessarily have to choose, unless you want to.

Nov 2012
    Religion
    Heathen Druid

can a Druid have Woden and Brigid as the two main gods?