This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To Spell or Not to Spell

I agree with the OP mostly on this one. I also used to prefer only to use magic as a last resort, in fact I have probably only used it four or five times before in my life. Every time I have attempted a spell however, it has worked perfectly, even in the most unlikely circumstances.

I still prefer always to try mundane means of fixing a problem before resorting to magic, but I don't see why one shouldn't use it if they're in real need. It is indeed a tool, and an affective one that can and should be used when necessary

Comment

I do my rituals as I should per my practice (as much as I can, sometimes health factors will get in the way), but for extra spell work I do that when mundane measures have failed. I don't feel the need to seek deity assistance for every little issue, but when it's to the point modern psychological measures can't seem to help, then I'll cast for resolution. Sometimes the cast is to aid what I'm using not to resolve the problem out right.

Comment

I suspect that when we walk a spiritual path for long enough, magic is no longer something we do - it's become an intrinsic part of us, something that we are....
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

new to me , big interest in it !

Comment

I don't even think it's wrong to work magic when you're in a rage - if it's done right. If you feel it's okay to fire off destruction rituals, so be it. But another spin you can take on it is to channel the rage into a vessel and give it to a god or an element or something to be recycled.
            I never thought about that before. If we offer it up, I bet we could get different energies in return to make our lives even better!

Comment

Originally posted by Arneci View Post
              I never thought about that before. If we offer it up, I bet we could get different energies in return to make our lives even better!
              Or a deity or spiritual entity could use all that rage to smite someone mightily. I gave that God some smite. Gods love smiting.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I think when it comes to magic, I use it when I need to, I guess it would be a case by case basis. I may use it for something simple, or I may use it for something big, I don't think one should limit themselves, nor do I think one should resort to it as a solution to every problem.

Comment

I would say don't use Magic for every little thing but do use it for all the big stuff. Need a new job, looking for a new house... any stuff like that where the results really matter then add a little magic and obviously you also need to deal with the mundane side of things too (you know like actually apply for some jobs or whatever). You shouldn't cast spells because there is a dress you want and you "need" it to be on sale so you can afford it. Well maybe if it's your wedding dress but you know keep it real.

Comment

Magic is reality. I use portions of reality/magic every day. Craftwork in the sense of recognizable spells (err if you can read my mind, I'm not big on ritual), I use when it suits me and don't when it doesn't. I normally don't do so while enraged, an exception to this rule has been made recently but I stand by the original decision several days after the fact so I'm not overly worried by it. Vengeance, shrug, I don't use craft for lesser vengeance. I'm not willing at this moment to predict my immediate response if you inflict grevious harm on specific people in my life. That said, most of them are warded to a fare thee well and linked to my personal defenses so there's a not insignificant chance that becoming an intolerable threat to those under my watch and ward will get you redirected directly into me and I have no interest in abdicating my right to self-defense. It's not a perfect system but it's the best I've got right now.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

My upstairs neighbor said an interesting thing the other day...

"Words are a magic wand, casting pieces of yourself out into the universe. Be careful what you say. the chances are good that they will come back to you."

The longer I go along, I sort of start thinking along the lines of Masked. Magic isn't a power you tap into, or some special thing you do...magic is everything you do because its it the underlying fabric of Divinity that the Universe is based upon.

..every little thing you do is magic...and the best magic is that which you do with a clear intention and purpose...

But every little thing you do is not necessairly a spell. IMO. a spell is just a ritualized and intentional piece of magic...brushing your teeth with intent can be a spell just as much as mucking around with herbs and such. AFAIC, the problem with "to spell or not to spell" is what comes afterwards...

If you just sit on your arse and wait for shit to happen, I think you are in for a rude awakening. Ben Franklin once said "god helps those who help themselves"...so does everything else.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

I would agree that we all do Magic all the time by accident. Spells are just doing it on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

"Words are a magic wand, casting pieces of yourself out into the universe. Be careful what you say. the chances are good that they will come back to you."

The longer I go along, I sort of start thinking along the lines of Masked. Magic isn't a power you tap into, or some special thing you do...magic is everything you do because its it the underlying fabric of Divinity that the Universe is based upon.

..every little thing you do is magic...and the best magic is that which you do with a clear intention and purpose...

But every little thing you do is not necessairly a spell. IMO. a spell is just a ritualized and intentional piece of magic...brushing your teeth with intent can be a spell just as much as mucking around with herbs and such. AFAIC, the problem with "to spell or not to spell" is what comes afterwards...

If you just sit on your arse and wait for shit to happen, I think you are in for a rude awakening. Ben Franklin once said "god helps those who help themselves"...so does everything else.
                          everything i'd attempt to say, but better

Comment

I agree. Tooth brushing is an amusing example. What sort of intention might one put into brushing their teeth? A cleansing of some sort, I would guess, or perhaps healing of dental problems.
                            Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                            -Erik Erikson

Comment

I have to keep all of this in mind tomorrow morning while brushing my teeth, and think about tooth cleaning instead of how much I hate getting up in the morning. Stuff like that could really probably help change a basic everyday outlook on life....
                              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                                I have to keep all of this in mind tomorrow morning while brushing my teeth, and think about tooth cleaning instead of how much I hate getting up in the morning. Stuff like that could really probably help change a basic everyday outlook on life....
                                or something like speaking with honesty or reverence. etc...or for me, cleaning up the sailor language!
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X