The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: To Spell or Not to Spell

My idea of "magic" is somewhat different from the norm. To me, magic is getting the maximum result with the minimum effort, so a person does magic as much as possible - if he or she can.

I don't know much about spells, though. I guess my question would be "does it work?" - does it produce more with less effort, or does it require more effort to do less?
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Nov 2010

Magic is not for rage, revenge, power or any negative thing, it is supposed to be used to connect you to the God/dess. Magic is to be used ONLY if mundane interventions do not work first!
    I've never understood why people sometimes make this into an "either/or" question. Often the best course is do whatever we can on the mundane level and also to "bless" or "boost" our efforts with magic. Sometimes it's a choice of one or the other, but sometimes both will be even more beneficial together.

There is a difference between revenge and justice. I would not use magic for revenge, but I have certainly used it to bring justice.

And there is also a difference between unthinking rage and directed anger. Anger can be a very potent power to charge our magic, just as desire can be a potent power. The trick is to balance the emotion with the clear-headed thought so we know what we're doing and why we're doing it and not just slugging the guy who accidentally bumped into us.

added: I rarely do spells, but I use magic fairly often, especially for healing work.
    ------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
    - robert anton wilson -

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Radical Pagan
    Phrase
    Get s'more toilet paper.

I used to consider magic a last resort, mainly because that's what the Neo-Wicca books told me it was. But now I agree with most of you - it's a tool, I might as well use it to increase the chances that my efforts will come to fruition.

I don't even think it's wrong to work magic when you're in a rage - if it's done right. If you feel it's okay to fire off destruction rituals, so be it. But another spin you can take on it is to channel the rage into a vessel and give it to a god or an element or something to be recycled.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Draconic Magick
    Phrase
    Ihanen guide my hand

I see the use of magick as a daily event: my intent for something to happen (I want to feel better today, hey look at that I feel better), the medicines around me, use of nutritional and herbal healing to help myself, the alchemy around me (in the colours of things, my incenses, the transmutation processes going on around me, etc), energy control while working on my martial sword form, energy into cooking, trances that happen through out the day, the fetishes in my shrine, etc.

When aware how it applies to life and how things can be affected by solely a wardrobe change (going to a meeting why not use alchemy and go saturnal in your colours, what's wrong with having some black for banishing negativity and purple for domination?) you do magick without thinking about it.

I do my rituals as I should per my practice (as much as I can, sometimes health factors will get in the way), but for extra spell work I do that when mundane measures have failed. I don't feel the need to seek deity assistance for every little issue, but when it's to the point modern psychological measures can't seem to help, then I'll cast for resolution. Sometimes the cast is to aid what I'm using not to resolve the problem out right.
    -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
    (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

monkeysauce41

I haven't cast spells for a long time either and life indeed is mundane! lets change it up.. I am in the same boat! TO SPELL I SAY!! TO SPELL! -properly of course-

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

clive i agree, it is a last resort

Jan 2012
    Religion
    Pagan

I agree with the OP mostly on this one. I also used to prefer only to use magic as a last resort, in fact I have probably only used it four or five times before in my life. Every time I have attempted a spell however, it has worked perfectly, even in the most unlikely circumstances.

I still prefer always to try mundane means of fixing a problem before resorting to magic, but I don't see why one shouldn't use it if they're in real need. It is indeed a tool, and an affective one that can and should be used when necessary

I do my rituals as I should per my practice (as much as I can, sometimes health factors will get in the way), but for extra spell work I do that when mundane measures have failed. I don't feel the need to seek deity assistance for every little issue, but when it's to the point modern psychological measures can't seem to help, then I'll cast for resolution. Sometimes the cast is to aid what I'm using not to resolve the problem out right.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

I suspect that when we walk a spiritual path for long enough, magic is no longer something we do - it's become an intrinsic part of us, something that we are....
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

new to me , big interest in it !

Jan 2012
    Religion
    Hellenistic Druid
    Phrase
    Follow your insticts, and you won't be led astray.

I don't even think it's wrong to work magic when you're in a rage - if it's done right. If you feel it's okay to fire off destruction rituals, so be it. But another spin you can take on it is to channel the rage into a vessel and give it to a god or an element or something to be recycled.
    I never thought about that before. If we offer it up, I bet we could get different energies in return to make our lives even better!