• Show
Clear All

• Job Seekers Rant Thread

Because looking for a job blows.....

Re: Job Seekers Rant Thread

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Because looking for a job blows.....
    and not in the good ways!

especially when they forget to take the posts down after they have actually filled the position... I wish they would do that. or putting a posting up when they already have someone in mind for the position, they could totally knock that off... and why can't HR tell me which of the three OBGYN centers in the building I need to contact for follow up information. Maybe I should give up? No if I do that I have to keep doing this job... wheee I'm 27 and making $10 an hour, its what I get for needing a job right after the market collapse.
    Last edited by Maria de Luna; 12 Oct 2012, 09:21.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

DanieMarie, it won't let me plus you, but know it's implied.

Hey newspaper: if my resume is so "impressive" as you say, why didn't you hire me? Cut the euphemisms, take down job positions that have been up for months if they're "filled", and stick some poor man's concrete up where the sun don't shine.
      my etsy store
      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
      surrounded by plush, downy things,
      ill prepared, but willing,
      to descend."

Comment

A lot of internship positions state that they want previous experience. You now need experience to get experience. ARG.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          A lot of internship positions state that they want previous experience. You now need experience to get experience. ARG.
          Yeah, I've seen that one too. I don't get it at all and I suspect people either plan to hire from an internship or they have no clue what the purpose of an internship is.

On that note...

--You mean to tell me with thousands of unemployed people in this state your business can't find anyone qualified? Literally thousands, and you can't find one to fill a position at your firm? I call shenanigans. Yes, one business made a point to say this in a local newspaper >

--What the hell does a fitness test have to do with what is described in your position as literally a sitting job? If you think you can skirt healthcare costs that way then I have a bridge to sell you.

--Schools are not job training facilities. Quit complaining how "no one is coming in trained for the job and therefore isn't qualified" when that's not the fault of the schools. It's YOUR JOB to teach YOUR EMPLOYEES how YOUR FIRM works; it's the school's job to teach the skills FOR THE CAREER FIELD.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling I will live in this thread...
          my etsy store
          My blog

to descend."

Comment

Heh, I'm insanely lucky on internships. This one grabbed me over someone with more knowledge of the relevant tech. The practical exam is equal parts, can you follow directions and if you screw up then will you identify that fact and ask for directions promptly instead of wasting excessive amounts of time trying to work it out on your own. I'm just hoping that it keeps getting extended till I can apply as a full tech or until I graduate and can jobseek as a programmer.
            "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
            ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

So the interview went well, they are offering benefits and a decent salary for full-time work and they are hiring for multiple positions, but the job postings came down and now for the same positions they are looking for students to do UNPAID INTERNSHIPS... they even had the balls to call me and offer me an UNPAID POSITION! Well that law firm can go ---- itself...

does anyonle else see the problem here or is it just me? I don't fully agree with the concept of unpaid internships (slave labor) but to bait and switch seems assinine...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

That's full of crap. Good internships pay here...not enough to live off of, but at least they give you something. I still think they're widely abused though. They don't have to pay out as many health benefits or wages, so a lot of companies just hire a continual rotation of interns for some jobs.

There was a jokey article a while back about startups that had the following quote: "Like Inception, it’s not uncommon for a Stipster Startup to take interning to a meta level, where people are interning for the chance to intern for the chance of a permanent intern position." It's obviously an exaggeration, but there's some truth in that. Like, a lot of companies write job listings for internships stressing that previous experience is required or preferred. The whole POINT of internships is to get experience. Somehow though, they've replaced entry-level jobs in a lot of countries. I think that's wrong.

Comment

Remember that job that told me the position was filled and all that fun junk about my "impressive" resume? It was listed again the same day I got my rejection letter! Am I going to be a total bitch and apply again? Oh yeah. Since I know I'm not going to get it I'm just gonna be a total bitch about it until I get a real answer.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

to descend."

Comment

When I was looking for work, I made it my 'job' for about 3 hours a day. I only looked on-line. At my age (40) and my over qualifications (18 years management experience) it was hard to find something not in management. So I ended up taking lesser paying entry level jobs. But then one job (I have two because I'm in your work force stealing all your jobs!) I was able to increase my hourly pay by getting more tips. And the other I entered as a cashier, but my past experience showed through. I was able to get promoted.

But man. Looking for work seriously is like getting rejected over and over. It's utter hell.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      When I was looking for work, I made it my 'job' for about 3 hours a day.
                      Sounds about right.

Comment

I just miss having things like benefits, shift differential, holiday pay, and overtime....

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                          I just miss having things like benefits, shift differential, holiday pay, and overtime....
                          I feel you. I have TWO jobs. And neither with medical insurance. Though if I did have it, I would pay way more then I am now. I take lots of meds and one is a very expensive heart meds. All for free (thank gawd).
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            I feel you. I have TWO jobs. And neither with medical insurance. Though if I did have it, I would pay way more then I am now. I take lots of meds and one is a very expensive heart meds. All for free (thank gawd).
                            I can still use the VA for the things that I really need medicine wise, so I am lucky there, but My husband could use some manner of care that we diddnt have to shell out craploads of money for. Apparently we make too much to qualify for anything from the state or government because I don't want to have a pile of babies yet...
                            Ehh at least I have a job, I just want one that complys with labor laws is all...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

My health insurance is ambiguous because of my situation. I will have it somehow; I went in person to ask about it, and while I was cut off from my student insurance on August 31, whatever replaces it will be effective retroactively, immediately after. If I don't get accepted, then apparently a private insurer has to take me at a base rate, under the same conditions. It's illegal here to not have insurance, but on the flip side of that -someone- has to insure you because of that. Still, I don't like not knowing what my insurance is or where I stand. I'm also frustrated because if I claimed state support, I'd have it automatically, but I'm -choosing- not to do that and instead pay my own way. This is for a number of reasons aside from the fact that I don't think it's fair to claim state support when I can afford to live without it (which is important, but not the only reason). It's frustrating that standing on your own two feet here can be so difficult.

Comment

Working...
                              X