Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Job Seekers Rant Thread

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    My health insurance is ambiguous because of my situation. I will have it somehow; I went in person to ask about it, and while I was cut off from my student insurance on August 31, whatever replaces it will be effective retroactively, immediately after. If I don't get accepted, then apparently a private insurer has to take me at a base rate, under the same conditions. It's illegal here to not have insurance, but on the flip side of that -someone- has to insure you because of that. Still, I don't like not knowing what my insurance is or where I stand. I'm also frustrated because if I claimed state support, I'd have it automatically, but I'm -choosing- not to do that and instead pay my own way. This is for a number of reasons aside from the fact that I don't think it's fair to claim state support when I can afford to live without it (which is important, but not the only reason). It's frustrating that standing on your own two feet here can be so difficult.
    I totally understand, the healthcare thing will eventually happen to us too over here, unless other certain things happen too. I'm kinda ok with it though, I just can't currently afford the $450 a month that healthcare would cost me, and thats without my husband...
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I had meant to jump into this thread sooner. The geology industry has been ridiculous this past year. Because of the economic crisis in Europe, our jobs have all disappeared (sad but true fact: most of canada's mineral exploration is owned by giant corporations in Europe. We never see or speak to these "bosses" but they are inevitably the source of our budgets)

I got back from Asia in February to a lay-off. It took me until April to find a job, and then that job didn't even start until June. I worked my ass off June-August, and now I'm unemployed again. I probably sent out 20-30 resumes to "HIRING" companies, and I only received one email back, saying my resume was impressive (I feel you Caelia) but that they weren't looking at hiring until January. I even tried applying to some semi-related field jobs, in the hopes that my small remote camp experience would get me the job. Now, the only jobs posted are for senior positions that I can't apply for, and with winter almost here, there's likely to be no jobs at all for the next few months.

If I had gotten in with a big mine (good pay, good hours, horrible jobs - I would have hated my life, but I would have had a salary for once) ...I wouldn't have this issue because they run year-round. But it's like if you don't have a personal contact with someone, they don't even look at your resume. Considering I work all across the country, it's not exactly possible for me to go see them in person (email and phone calls are the norm in geology - we rarely have in-person interviews) ...so...I'm unemployed.

To make matters worse, Canada Post somehow DESTROYED my ROE in the mail. It seriously looks like a rat ate it, threw it in a puddle, and then tore it to shreds. So I guess I'll apply for EI some other way.

I'm in my mid twenties with 6 years of geology experience. I've worked gold, copper, and iron, and I'm certified up the ying-yang with courses and whatnot. My resume IS impressive. So why is nobody hiring me? Everyone else I know got jobs...why can't I get a steady one?

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
        I totally understand, the healthcare thing will eventually happen to us too over here, unless other certain things happen too. I'm kinda ok with it though, I just can't currently afford the $450 a month that healthcare would cost me, and thats without my husband...
        Yeah...Jeez. It's not that expensive here. If you have public, it's a percentage of your income split between you and your employer (which blows if you are self-employed, because then you get to pay both parts). But it's still manageable. I'll probably end up paying about 150 Euros a month, and if I actually start earning ok money, about 250 (unless I get a full-time job...then it will still be about 150-200). I come from Canada though, were you always have health care just by living there, and everyone has the same one, and it only costs you that much if you're in the top income bracket.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
        I had meant to jump into this thread sooner. The geology industry has been ridiculous this past year. Because of the economic crisis in Europe, our jobs have all disappeared (sad but true fact: most of canada's mineral exploration is owned by giant corporations in Europe. We never see or speak to these "bosses" but they are inevitably the source of our budgets)
        Oh man, that sucks. It's sort of the situation here as well. I mean, Germany is doing well, but because of the strain from the other countries, there's a lot of labour competition, and public resources are thin because of bailouts. I also imagine that any company that does a lot of business within Europe (thankfully, this is not most of them, otherwise Germany would be just as screwed as everywhere else) is hit hard...Sucks that the nightmare that is Europe is so far-reaching.

Comment

Hmmm seems many jobs have dropped the practice of responding to applications either way. Here it was traditional to do so.

Comment

Hmmm seems many jobs have dropped the practice of responding to applications either way. Here it was traditional to do so.
            Sometimes I get automated responses...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I get that a lot too! And then I never hear from a real person. It seems like in this industry (geology) unless you KNOW someone, NOBODY reads your resume. How I get a job at all sometimes is awe-inspiring.

Mostly art.

Comment

Does anyone ever feel ike they are treated like absolute crap at work so that they will quit and no one will have to pay for unemployment? just so they can say they diddn't fire you? That seems nasty, but I feel like it is happening...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

I get those, and they always say they'll get back to you, but it's been weeks since I've sent in some of my applications. I think it's poor etiquette.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone ever feel ike they are treated like absolute crap at work so that they will quit and no one will have to pay for unemployment? just so they can say they diddn't fire you? That seems nasty, but I feel like it is happening...
                  I've never had it happen, but I don't doubt that it does.

Comment

A lot of bigger companies now use computer software screening of applications, they look for specific words, phrases, and employment records, and if you don't have it then you just get an automated email responses stating that they've decided to go in a different direction with their applicants. Sad, stupid, but true.

Does anyone ever feel like they are treated like absolute crap at work so that they will quit and no one will have to pay for unemployment? just so they can say they didn't fire you? That seems nasty, but I feel like it is happening...
                    That definitely happens out here. My sister's former employer used a lot of tongue-in-cheek racist comments toward one of their Hmong employees until she had had enough and finally quit. It's not a rare thing anymore, and without hard evidence and witness statements, there's not a lot you can really do about it (unless you have a very observant superior who's already aware of it). It's a pity how the job market operates, it's basically like playing politics on a daily basis. -.-

Comment

Ugh rejection letter. At least they bothered to respond though. It's the first job application in 2 months that has replied at all.

Comment

Ugh rejection letter. At least they bothered to respond though. It's the first job application in 2 months that has replied at all.
                        I hate to make it sound like a good thing, but at least you know where you stand, and can be sure you arent going to hear from them again. Good luck with the next one.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Hmmm should I apply for an internship doing something I already do? Part of me has a hope that it could lead to a full-time job (even though they very, very rarely do), and I've been job hunting for 3 months now. Internships are supposed to be to get experience and part of me resents that these internships want people like me who already do it, but I'm only working very, very part-time and it would be -some- money (albeit not even CLOSE to what I need to live off of).

Comment

Need more information. Are you getting paid currently? Is the internship paid? Is the company any bigger or more reknowned? How long have you been in your current position?

Comment

I'm a freelancer. I make anywhere between 15-40 Euros an hour depending on the job, but I don't have a ton of work at the moment. Most internships here are paid, but they pay 300-600 per month. I think this one is 400 per month. On deeper thought, it's not worth it. That would be full-time, and I can make that freelancing. Also if a job (internship or not) pays 400 a month or under, the employer isn't obligated to cover any health insurance, so I'd still be paying 213 out of my own pocket like I do now.

Comment

So I finally heard back from a possible internship...3 months fucking later! I understand having problems with emails, but 3 months worth? Yeah, I was bottom of the barrel and they decided to scrape it.
                                my etsy store
                                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                                ill prepared, but willing,
                                to descend."

Comment

Working...
                                X