X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask a Kemetic

[quote author=Maulus link=topic=71.msg2251#msg2251 date=1287003402]
    Hiya

I have a question, I have recently found that Bast has made herself known to me, and i have adopted her as my Matron Goddess, however i am trying to find reliable sources for rituals for honouring her as well as reliable dates for feast days that can be celebrated. Do you have any that you use regularly? (I have looked at Kemet.org amongst others)

Thanks

M
    [/quote]

There are quite a few festivals that honor Her, and here's a calendar that I found quite useful. It doesn't list how every festival was celebrated, but it at least gives you a nice jumping off point:

If you are looking for more of how She was worshiped in temples I'll dig it up.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

[quote author=Caelia link=topic=71.msg2279#msg2279 date=1287007327]
      There are quite a few festivals that honor Her, and here's a calendar that I found quite useful. It doesn't list how every festival was celebrated, but it at least gives you a nice jumping off point:

http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/id...ivaldates.html

If you are looking for more of how She was worshiped in temples I'll dig it up.
      [/quote]

Thanks for that it gives me a lot more information that anything else i have found, i will be adding that to my notes and anything more you can find would be very much appreciated

M
      In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

The Wikipedia article gives you some basic ideas.

On that note, I heard once that there was a format available for some of the festivals. Is this true? And does anyone have a link to it online?
        my etsy store
        My blog

to descend."

Comment

Hey Caelia and other Kemetics on this board. I did say I might be asking a few questions over here so here we go.

My first is about the son's of Horus. I understand that you (Caelia) do NOT blend wiccan concepts into your practice. Correct me if I have that wrong, but for now, this is my assumption.

So, when I was doing my Egyptian-themed training, I was taught to use the Son's of Horus as protectors of the circle. Firstly, I very much doubt the circle was a concept in Ancient Egyptian magic, but maybe you know something different? I never saw anything terribly wrong with that and when I worked with the idea, I really did feel a protective presence. But it felt wrong. I knew that they were really associated with the canoptic jars (thank you state education) and wasn't sure if it was right to give a deity a new job just to suit ourselves. This was one of the first of many things that just didn't feel right.

So what I want to know is... is this an idea you see a lot of people doing? Or is this a unique and unusual use of the Sons?

They were assigned elements too, Hapi = Earth, Qebehsenuef = Air, Duamutef = Fire and Imsety = Water. Is there ANY historical reason to assign elements to them this way, or was this purely an attempt to blend Kemeticism with Wicca?

Sorry if my questions sound a bit dumb.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            Hey Caelia and other Kemetics on this board. I did say I might be asking a few questions over here so here we go.

My first is about the son's of Horus. I understand that you (Caelia) do NOT blend wiccan concepts into your practice. Correct me if I have that wrong, but for now, this is my assumption.

So, when I was doing my Egyptian-themed training, I was taught to use the Son's of Horus as protectors of the circle. Firstly, I very much doubt the circle was a concept in Ancient Egyptian magic, but maybe you know something different? I never saw anything terribly wrong with that and when I worked with the idea, I really did feel a protective presence. But it felt wrong. I knew that they were really associated with the canoptic jars (thank you state education) and wasn't sure if it was right to give a deity a new job just to suit ourselves. This was one of the first of many things that just didn't feel right.

So what I want to know is... is this an idea you see a lot of people doing? Or is this a unique and unusual use of the Sons?

They were assigned elements too, Hapi = Earth, Qebehsenuef = Air, Duamutef = Fire and Imsety = Water. Is there ANY historical reason to assign elements to them this way, or was this purely an attempt to blend Kemeticism with Wicca?

Sorry if my questions sound a bit dumb.
            Correct, but I'm still gonna give it the ol' college try

The Ancient Egyptians didn't cast circles, so you are very correct in that. I've mostly seen circle casting with Tameran Wiccans (Wiccans who blend Kemetic practices with Wicca), and they don't always use the Sons of Horus. Sometimes it's Aset, Nebethet, and a couple of others (memory's a bit fuzzy on that one). The reason you see the canopic jars that way is because each god was associated with a certain direction. The problem is since many tombs discovered aren't oriented the same way it's a bit difficult to discern the accuracy of such practices for circle casting.

It's not a dumb question at all, btw. It's a very legitimate question that is a bit tricky to untangle.
            my etsy store
            My blog

to descend."

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So the elements were most likely only assigned due to their association with directions in wicca? Makes sense I guess.

Next... I was taught a prayer in which the gods were assigned to different parts of the body. This is sadly not in my BOS but I can probably find it in my notes at my mother's if you have a particular interest in seeing it.

Was this based on a genuine Egyptian prayer? Were the gods associated with body parts and if so, did this have something to do with how they practiced medicine? It seems a little strange and as I changed courses before the end, I never really found out how this knowledge was meant to benefit me.

You'll be pleased to know there isn't much of this in my BOS, so I shouldn't have too many more questions.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                Thanks for the reply. So the elements were most likely only assigned due to their association with directions in wicca? Makes sense I guess.

Next... I was taught a prayer in which the gods were assigned to different parts of the body. This is sadly not in my BOS but I can probably find it in my notes at my mother's if you have a particular interest in seeing it.

Was this based on a genuine Egyptian prayer? Were the gods associated with body parts and if so, did this have something to do with how they practiced medicine? It seems a little strange and as I changed courses before the end, I never really found out how this knowledge was meant to benefit me.

You'll be pleased to know there isn't much of this in my BOS, so I shouldn't have too many more questions.
                Yep, you usually see it in mortuary literature. The point of it was to "rebuild" the body in the afterlife. I know this also extended to Wesir (Osiris) and was used on the last day of the Kha-her-Kha festival for an event called, "The Raising of the Djed Pillar". I personally don't know if it extended to medicine, though I think I link to a few medical papyri if you wanna check it out.

Running out of questions already!? But-but I'm just getting warmed up
                my etsy store
                My blog

to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                  Running out of questions already!? But-but I'm just getting warmed up
                  Ah worry not, I'm sure I have a few more in me yet. I just might be slow. As you can probably tell by how active I am at the moment, I am attempting to do 100 things at once.. research new deities (and collect my findings in a blog I'll eventually post), forge a new path for myself, go through the old volumes of my BOS, and for some reason I decided I have plenty of time to study Japanese on top of all this. My current employment allows me quite a lot of spare time, but the future of said employment is in the balance. I will most likely have to return to busy day shifts in the not-to-distant future, so I am trying to cram everything in while I can!

Comment

As a Kemetic, do you believe that amalgamated deities become new entities entirely and greater than the sum of their parts? Ie, Amun and Re becoming Amun-Re, Heru and Set becoming the Bawy, etc.
                    There once was a man who said though,
                    It seems that I know that I know,
                    What I'd like to see,
                    Is the I that knows me,
                    When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielWithoutWings View Post
                      As a Kemetic, do you believe that amalgamated deities become new entities entirely and greater than the sum of their parts? Ie, Amun and Re becoming Amun-Re, Heru and Set becoming the Bawy, etc.
                      Well, I'm sure the hive mind will get back to you, but I personally believe new deities can emerge from combining other deities. While it wasn't always out of some understanding of several deities, they were meant to explain some other overarching concept the deities embodied.

As for the rest of your question, not so much is my stance. Like I said others on a Kemetic path may disagree with me.
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
                      X