Thread: Hagstone Journal of Occult Arts Seeks Submissions!

sickle_woman

Hagstone Journal of Occult Arts Seeks Submissions!

*** I have received express permission from one of the site admins to post this! Thanks! While I'm not much more than a lurker around these parts, I really do feel that this project may be of interest to some folks on this forum. I have really enjoyed the breadth of practice that is represented on this site, and feel that your voices would be a HUGE asset to this publication! ***

Our site: http://hagstone.tumblr.com

About Hagstone

“Any occultist who claims to have secrets is a fake. All wisdom is an open book to those who would read it.”

Letter from Robert Cochrane to Joe Wilson, 1966

Hagstone is critical, contemporary, alive.

Hagstone aims to provide the opportunity for witches and magical practitioners of varying backgrounds, ideologies, and subject positions to promote and engage in intelligent, critical discussion and sharing. When witchcraft and magic are concerned, misinformation and misrepresentation rule, and Hagstone boldly puts one step forward in an effort to change that. Many people (practitioners and scholars alike) do not understand, on a fundamental level, the unending variety and innovation that exists today, pioneered by those who call magic and witchcraft their home – and thus Hagstone is born. Hagstone is not witchcraft 101.

Hagstone is magic without bullshit.

Hagstone aims to spread information in an egalitarian way. As such, fancy hardcover hand-bound books are not appropriate for us. We take our direction from the world of zines – affordable DIY books, often photocopied, so that our voices may reach people of varying financial situations. We aim to combine the DIY and anarchistic ethic of zines with a developed and mature sense of aesthetics and design for a final product that is both beautiful to behold, easy on the wallet, and nourishing for the mind.

Call For Submissions

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: OCTOBER 31, MIDNIGHT, 2012

Hagstone Journal of Occult Arts welcomes submissions from all practitioners of magic (in its various incarnations) and/or witchcraft for our inaugural issue.

We are interested in both deeply personal pieces about one’s own magical practice, as well as more scholarly essays which rely heavily on theory. And if your work falls somewhere in between – that’s okay too! All voices have a place in Hagstone.

Magic is a broad subject. It occurs across cultures and times in thousands of different forms. Hagstone has, at its core, a wish to celebrate and acknowledge all paths and traditions. Whether you’re a Luciferian, Hermeticist, Wiccan, Celtic Reconstructionist, a Spiritualist medium, we want to hear from you.

We especially welcome submissions concerning non-European forms of witchcraft, magic, and energy work, which may use a different name. We are not currently accepting visual works, poetry, or fiction.

Here’s a list of topics we find to be super interesting. We’d love to hear your take on anything listed below. However, this list is far from exhaustive! If it’s not listed, we’d still likely love to hear about it. What would you like to see? If you can help make this list better and more inclusive, don’t hesitate to email us at HagstoneJournal at gmail dot com

• queer/non-binary/trans* issues in magic, witchcraft, and/or paganism
    • dis/ability issues in magic, witchcraft and/or paganism
    • personal & experiential magic
    • magic or witchcraft as mediumship
    • spirit contact/mediumship
    • group/solitary magic
    • magic in praxis: method, technique, etc
    • non-pagan magic
    • non-Eurocentric magic
    • witchcraft, magic, & hetero/cis-normativity
    • atheistic magic
    • issues of representation within magic, witchcraft and/or paganism
    • syncretism in magical practice
    • alternate forms of magical practice
    • the intersections between religion and magic

For more information on how to submit, please click here for our How To Submit page (http://hagstone.tumblr.com/howto).
    SUBMISSION DEADLINE: OCTOBER 31, MIDNIGHT, 2012

Our site: http://hagstone.tumblr.com

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Re: Hagstone Journal of Occult Arts Seeks Submissions!

*MaskedOne raises eye*

So your very first post on this board is an ad campaign for someone else....

nice.......
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

She has received permission from me to post this and only after I've even discussed it with the other admins.

No one is required to submit any info or even participate. This is strictly volunteer based.

Though, if members feel this crosses boundaries, I will certainly take these concerns seriously.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Bows out, complaint withdrawn. Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: Notes top of OP, shrug, I'm in a foul mood this evening and it seems to be giving me tunnel vision.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

I read through the tumblr page, and I think this is a fantastic idea. I think some people around here could have fantastic submissions.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2012
    Religion
    Not a religion, just spirituality, I think.

I don't think I'd have a lot to add to this project, but I must say that it sounds like a really good idea! I'll be keeping an eye on that website. Thanks for sharing!

Aug 2012
    Religion
    animist hedge witch.
    Phrase
    Even if you're only a boy, you can fight like a girl!

I'll have to take another look when I can get onto a non-access-restricted-computer, because I cannot view the tumblr site. The idea is interresting though, I'm not super awesome at forming whole coherent thoughts.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher