Instruments to call on the spirits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instruments to call on the spirits

Hello everyone I was going through some things and I found a rattle, a flute, and a harmonica.

I put the harmonica on my Goddess Bast altar because one of her aspects is goddess of music. I relate to harmonicas too from my child hood as to why I put it there.

I have a flute that well, looks like a recorder and is somewhat like a flute but only one of the holes work. (ghetto but it was a gift)

A rattle that my grandmother gave me.

So I use the rattle sometimes to use for shamanic journeys. So I already know what I can use that for

but the flute thing only has one note. I was wondering with the flute could I use it in some way to call on my spirits. Like after I sage the place I usually call the north east south and west, and in each direction I have a spirit ally corrsponding to them on a medicine wheel. I dont know if this is a practice already but could I use a flute and say something like "I call upon my guides of the north" then I play some note?"
    (Mind you only 2 of the holes work but I want to use it for some type of spirit work since it was a gift)

same goes with the harmonica. When I call upon bast could I play the harmonica and call upon her energies and focus on her?

So my main question is, has it ever been done to play an instrument to call upon spirits/deities? thanks

Re: Instruments to call on the spirits

I imagine this being done in every culture and in every faith throughout time. I am certain that music is closer to spirit language than our ugly utterances. If you are talking about some particular practice in a particular tradition, I don't know.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

thank you
      and I was just thinking about doing it in general

Comment

The flute does have two holes, but can only make one note?? Sounds strange...
        Well to the subject, it's right what nbdy sais, many cultures have used music as a way of communicating with spirits/deities or otherworlds. I do it as well, and I know theres another thread somewhere here at Pagan forum that discuss music and spiritual communicating. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of that thread.
        ~ flowers are our only garments
        only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Working...
        X