Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washington and Colorado legalize it, just for fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington and Colorado legalize it, just for fun...

So...

Did anybody in Washington or Colorado buy a big bag of Boo at Walmart yet?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Washington and Colorado legalize it, just for fun...

First time for everything,wondering how the Feds will react to this?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The legalization thing is really interesting -

The states are passing laws that the citizens want passed, but which are still in violation of Federal laws...

Will the Feds continue to try to control what we choose to ingest, or will we win the right to decide that for ourselves, at the local level?
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Or in some cases lose it, (soda...realy?) but it is being pushed in my state and is apparently a big friggin deal...
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I wished that Oregon had worded theirs differently but they left it so wide open that it unfortunately was not passed here, which sucks, IMO. But, WA is only 20 minutes from my house. *snickers*
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
            I wished that Oregon had worded theirs differently but they left it so wide open that it unfortunately was not passed here, which sucks, IMO. But, WA is only 20 minutes from my house. *snickers*
            I wonder if it will be legal to mail....

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              I wonder if it will be legal to mail....
              oooooooooh! Good question. I have a brother in law in Colorado. But I still have the problem of my employer not allowing their employees to have that in their system. We get drug tested a couple of times a year, because job sites require it. I don't think that would go away if it's made legal. ... Idk, my employer is privately owned so they can pretty much say what they want and get it.
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I vaguely remember, sometime in the distant past, when Oregon decriminalized marijuana, which is what I think Washington and Colorado are aiming for. Basically, the state changes marijuana from a legal problem to a personal one, like alcoholism. The tax payers shoulder a smaller burden in treatment of supposed addiction or destructive behaviors than they do when people are sitting in prison. I remember there being a lot of debate over how much Oregon actually saved from decriminalization, but now with better record keeping practices, maybe CA & CO can show that legalization is a better direction for state budgets.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Legal is a relative term,when it was made legal for medical purposes that did not apply for Federal law. People were busted just because they made the mistake of carrying it on Federal land. Federal plaza is right in the heart of San Francisco,so even though the local police would not bust you,you could be charged with possession by any federal cop,even a guard working for the feds. This was in SF,and there were raids on pot shops that sold "legal" medical weed by the feds. So,legal seems to depend on where in the state you are.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Federal Law is applicable anywhere inside US boundaries and single states don't possess the power to trump that. States legalizing pot mostly means state and town officials ignore you, any Federal agent seeing you can still (and in many cases will arguably be duty bound to) either introduce you to the Federal Justice system or notify an agent of a department that will. If the states want to change that then they can either push for their Federal reps (Senators, Congressmen, time to earn your pay) to try and change Federal code or find a way to argue that Federal law in this matter is unconstitutional and pray that a court agrees with them. Until one of the above happens, Marijuana is still illegal in all US States, Territories, Military Bases and every other piece of dirt that falls under US jurisdiction. The only real question is whether the Feds are willing to ignore the subject or whether they start hiring extra DEA agents.

DISCLAIMER:

I don't really care one way or another about the legal status of Marijuana and haven't for years. I do actually care about the rule of law. States have tried the whole theory of "we are sovereign territories and can negate Federal code inside our borders when we don't like it" before. They don't have that right. They have no business getting that right and a significant number of people have died to shove the uncomfortable fact that yes, the states are required to abide by Federal law down their collective throats. Seeing as primacy of Federal law has been used to prevent state governments from attempting to ignore the requirements of the 14th Amendment, the states can collectively **** themselves if they want the "Nullification" option.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

From my limited knowledge of the us legal system dosent federal law trump state law? in which case isn't it illegal to even propose the bill let alone pass it?
                      I don't really like pot being legal anywhere but I acknowledge that it's mostly because my brother is a pot head and one of the most vile people I know. My bias aside it seems just like alcohol to me, in which case why legalize something else that can destroy lives... though the commercial uses and the fact it can grow practically everywhere leave me torn in my opnion
                      Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                        From my limited knowledge of the us legal system dosent federal law trump state law? in which case isn't it illegal to even propose the bill let alone pass it?
                        I don't really like pot being legal anywhere but I acknowledge that it's mostly because my brother is a pot head and one of the most vile people I know. My bias aside it seems just like alcohol to me, in which case why legalize something else that can destroy lives... though the commercial uses and the fact it can grow practically everywhere leave me torn in my opnion
                        Removing Marijuana from a given state's controlled substance list is perfectly legal and I've got no problem with it. The happy go lucky infrastructure that the state government of California (other have probably pulled similar but I've most recently looked at California's actions) has happily set up to take advantage of activities that are still criminal throughout the entirety of the Union? Shrug, arresting an entire state's legislature and its governor as accessories to a Federal crime would probably be politically unwise...

Oh to give a current (this can change depending on the whims of the President or Attorney General) position of the Feds. Marijuana is illegal throughout the Union. However, busting down the doors of those using it for medicinal purposes in accord with local state law is generally not worth the effort and they will probably ignore such individuals to an extent. Dispensaries are however perfectly fair game to be raided and have their staff arrested and prosecuted.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

What Colorado and Washington have done is something other than simple decriminalization.

The new law allows for state approved shops to sell M, in amounts not over 1 oz, to any adult over the age of 21. The whole deal will, of course, be taxed (three times - the grower, the seller, and the buyer will all pay separate taxes) ... Which means that Washington and Colorado ought to clean up on the Buzzed Tourist thing.

Depending on how the Feds react, and what legal challenges are faced, state-run Boo shops are expected to be in business by 2014.

Comment

IE, Washington and Colorado can join California on the list of states that are actively trying to profit off violations of federal law. Thought that might be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                              IE, Washington and Colorado can join California on the list of states that are actively trying to profit off violations of federal law. Thought that might be the case.
                              LOL - that's the cynical way of saying it.

Since I am a natural born rebel (you can tell because I have facial hair), I prefer to think of it as the states finally standing up to a somewhat overbearing federal government, and taking back the authority which should have been theirs all along....

... the same kind of thing which is happening in those states which have decided to recognize same sex marriages, despite whatever the feds might decide about the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an interesting article about the prospects of Weed Tourism in Colorado.

Comment

Working...
                              X