Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Christmas/Yule/Saturnalia/Festivus/Channukah Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Christmas/Yule/Saturnalia/Festivus/Channukah Thread!

Yeah, yeah. It's that time (almost). Some of us like to get a head start on some cute kitschy homemade ornaments (read: some of us are bored at home) ...so here's the thread to post your stuff! DIY's, recipes for the season, pictures, altar stuff for Yule, whatever.

And go!

Some tutorials the craftier folk 'round here might appreciate:

DIY Christmas Ornaments
    DIY twine ball light garland
    Dried orange slice ornaments Go through their "12 days of homemade Christmas", each post is amazing, and I made these orange slices today! They look and smell great!
    DIY yarn ball ornaments ...just finished making two of these in red. Going to make more tomorrow!
    DIY glitter ball
    DIY Christmas decorations
    DIY pomander
    DIY heart baskets for Jul (Danish Yule)
    Paper snowflakes! there are like, 20, of these around my house right now. I'm not done.

tired skin? these make great gifts (for yourself, and others!) coconut sugar scrub

Mostly art.

Re: The Christmas/Yule/Saturnalia/Festivus/Channukah Thread!

Cool thread!! This is perfect for JP and I as this is our first Christmas in our own place so we don't have much in the way of decorations. It will be really nice to work on some of these projects together!!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

(sneaky sneaky self-promotion) :P

Its Dale and I's first Christmas in our own house as well and I've got loads of stuff stored away that I've been making for my craft business.

If anyone wants a wee look at my store just send me a message and I'll give you a code for a percentage off

I made some cute hanging Christmas tree ducks for our tree and to sell. And I've started making other decorations for my own tree. We got the spare tree my mum and dad don't use anymore so I'm dead chuffed and excited for my first Christmas in my own house! x
      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
        (sneaky sneaky self-promotion) :P

Its Dale and I's first Christmas in our own house as well and I've got loads of stuff stored away that I've been making for my craft business.

If anyone wants a wee look at my store just send me a message and I'll give you a code for a percentage off

I made some cute hanging Christmas tree ducks for our tree and to sell. And I've started making other decorations for my own tree. We got the spare tree my mum and dad don't use anymore so I'm dead chuffed and excited for my first Christmas in my own house! x
        Wait, when did you move out? :O Congrats! But now when I randomly show up in Scotland, I'm not going to know where to go!

- - - Updated - - -

Your tree needs more ninja <--it's an ornament

Compliments of my Evernote account - here's some stuff I dug up about Yule:

For the full history of wassail, and whatnot, click source

Wassail of the 17th-18th CenturyWassail
        Some good Yule Log info here
        Yule Lore
        Yule, Magickal correspondences

And this is just a really beautiful journal post about someone who celebrates Yule. It's very thought provoking. here

Mostly art.

Comment

Oh now you've done it.. In one of my origami books there is a section with christmas tree baubles. There are some spectacular spheres. One is a bit like this... http://www.etsy.com/listing/85587783...nging-ornament but a little simpler. I'm going to try my hand at it right now.. screw studying, this is way more important!!

If it doesn't work, then I'll stick to these, http://www.origami-kids.com/christma...6424367225.htm
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            Oh now you've done it.. In one of my origami books there is a section with christmas tree baubles. There are some spectacular spheres. One is a bit like this... http://www.etsy.com/listing/85587783...nging-ornament but a little simpler. I'm going to try my hand at it right now.. screw studying, this is way more important!!

If it doesn't work, then I'll stick to these, http://www.origami-kids.com/christma...6424367225.htm
            That first one is crazy, haha. I can't even make a proper crane! I'd never be able to do that one.

Mostly art.

Comment

I couldn't find that pattern in the end. Wasn't in the book I thought it was. Only made one of the other ones because they take ages. I also have to cheat and use glue to close the ball. It should be able to slide together and seal, but mine just pop open. They're made with a long narrow strip and you have to make all the folds first but flattening out the paper after each one. Then it all comes together excitingly when you fold it for real. The first stage just takes so damned long. Think this is a hobby that should wait until my retirement days!

Comment

I couldn't find that pattern in the end. Wasn't in the book I thought it was. Only made one of the other ones because they take ages. I also have to cheat and use glue to close the ball. It should be able to slide together and seal, but mine just pop open. They're made with a long narrow strip and you have to make all the folds first but flattening out the paper after each one. Then it all comes together excitingly when you fold it for real. The first stage just takes so damned long. Think this is a hobby that should wait until my retirement days!
                The only origami I've ever been very good at are those damned little paper stars. I had asian friends in highschool - they were a craze, back then.

Mostly art.

Comment

Asian friends were a craze? I hung around with the kids from the Chinese takeaway, I must have been so cool back then ^^

I got into origami quite young. I got a dinosaur set for Christmas one year and realised I could remember how to do them and make more. I made a pack of life-size velociraptors out of sheets of wallpaper glued together! Oh and a loft of pigeons. It's pure coincidence that it's a Japanese thing. I had no idea in the early days where it came from. I just knew it was a cool way to make new toys!! I like to make little dishes with four compartments that I can put nuts and nibbles in when friends come over. I made a large one for my mum out of the wallpaper in her bedroom so it matched. She uses it to keep her earrings and things in. It's really handy sometimes, but you really need nerves of steel. Many a piece of paper has been launched across the room in rage!

Comment

Jem do you have a link for directions for the flowers for the first one? If not I can prolly rig one meself, (though I imagine it'll be a bit different) But those are so pretty, and I am really miffed I didd'nt already think of doing this! as a side note, I wonder how small I can make them? I made a crane using tweezers once that fit on top of a pencil lead, this would be awesome en miniature. (as a note I usually did the tiny ones when I was bored in class....)
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                      Jem do you have a link for directions for the flowers for the first one? If not I can prolly rig one meself, (though I imagine it'll be a bit different) But those are so pretty, and I am really miffed I didd'nt already think of doing this! as a side note, I wonder how small I can make them? I made a crane using tweezers once that fit on top of a pencil lead, this would be awesome en miniature. (as a note I usually did the tiny ones when I was bored in class....)

Comment

Sadly not. I definitely have it in a book somewhere, but where, I don't know. It's not in the one that actually has a christmas section. The ones I make, the second image, use strips of 30cm by 7cm and come out pretty small. wait, I'll measure mine.. looks like it's exactly 5cm, so yeah, teeny tiny. I'm going to have a blast at making larger ones. This requires tweezers too. I also use a clothes peg to hold it together while I do the final folds (that curve it under to make the ball.. you can do it without a peg but as the thing is springy at this stage, it can pop open and some of the folds flatten out). You could try to make it smaller, but honestly, this is pretty small as it is and the folds have to match up exactly. Harder to do with smaller models. Oh another thing. The instructions state to use thin paper or foil as thicker papers won't work. The initial marking out of the folds is very time consuming so it would be a pain to do all that only to find it won't pop into place as it should.
                        Oh ok I will try my hand at some of my own, and post what I end up with, I may add some silver findings and pearls, cause I think that may be nifty, (I know, but I am totally not a purist anymore.)

Your christmas lights are way too expensive, if I can make a suggestion, don't go crazy getting stuff for your first christmas, go light this year, or make absolutely whatever you can, and wait till after christmas when everything goes on sale. Some of it is going to be the cheaper, kitchier stuff, but it tends to make for some totally awesome diy bargains. (even if you have to buy a cruddy pre assembeled decorated tree at least you are only paying 2 dollars for it and you have some left over crafty stuff after the massive dissassembly.) but some of the after christmas sales go as cheap as 75%off at least they do on this side of the atlantic, I son't see whay they would'nt over there too... hrm...

Magpie really enjoyed chasing the paper chain I was making earlier. Took a break to study, although here I am on PF not studying OR making chains....
                        did she eat all of the paper chain? but seriously if you have a small tree weigh it down at the bottom and don't use anything glass, also if you can think of a way to deter the kitten from playing with the tree it is a good idea, I don't have remaining photos, but last year there were a few days we would come home to a crying kitten who was caught in... tree... just tangled and couldn't get out alone, she was so miserable, but she kept doing it! There was glitter everywhere! just make things kitten-friendly, and try not to get toooo attached to anything "edible."

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Damn, I must like you too much Maria. It wouldn't let me like your post. It doesn't let me like Volcaniclastic at the moment either. Oh dear. Well, thanks for the advice. You're probably right about not spending too much, yes. I was lucky to get the tree so cheap at least. It is nothing special. Just a generic plastic tree. With the decorations on though, I'm sure it will be just fine. I do like the idea of going easy this year and making what we can. My hope is that as the years go by, we'll unpack the decorations and see the things from our first year, bought or otherwise, and be filled with that snuggly warm sentimental feeling. I'm even thinking about keeping this chain if I can find a place to store it.

You know, sharing pictures of what we make is a nice idea too! I'd be a little shy, because they're hardly masterpieces, but maybe I'll be brave.

Finally, if you like origami, do you think we'd have enough to say on the subject to be worth giving it it's own thread in hobbies?

Ah and erm, just to negate my use of 'finally' up there.. I laughed so much at your story about your cat last year. We are pretty nevous, yes. My mum has a large and very heavy cast iron stand for her tree. I wonder if she'll let me borrow it? The lights might be glass. The baubles are from poundshops and discount stores, so I'd guess they're plastic.I had better check though. Magpie climbs the pear tree in the yard, so I've no doubt she'll have a go at the tree. She recently learnt she can get onto the fireplace. That was the last place I had to safely burn candles! sigh.

Comment

You know, sharing pictures of what we make is a nice idea too! I'd be a little shy, because they're hardly masterpieces, but maybe I'll be brave.
                            That's a brilliant idea. I could totally take some pics of what I've made so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: I'm not allowed to like you anymore, either Jem! haha

Mostly art.

Comment

Finally, if you like origami, do you think we'd have enough to say on the subject to be worth giving it it's own thread in hobbies?
                              Err I learned the basic stuff when I was little, but never really bought any books or anything like that, I kinda have a habit of making stuff up as I go, or trying to see what other people do and look and see if I can figure out how they did it, and do it myself. I have a bad habit of trying to do that, so alot about origami is totally not err "cannon" origami. I think I said before though that I have a thing for doing things en miniature, cause miniature things are bloody adorable! but I'm always willing to give it a shot! Maybe if you start it they will come? (Oh crap, here come the butchered movie quotes.)

This post seems a bit rambly doesn't it? I'm not sure if I said anything or not, let me know will you?

- - - Updated - - -

Incidently, I can still like people! Haha! prolly can't now though...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                              X