Help me name my sword.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me name my sword.

So I got my new sword yesterday and now I need to name it. Any ideas? I bought it for decapitating Zombies in the upcoming apocalypse ; )
    I've not taken any photos yet so you'll have to make do with the stock photo.

Re: Help me name my sword.

That's a lovely one!

A friend of mine has one very similar - but the blade on yours looks considerably longer. Very nice!

Got no help on a name, though.

P.S. Do you know how to use it?
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 24 Nov 2012, 08:46. Reason: Afterthought
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It's a bastard sword so yes it's pretty long.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not an expert but I was quite a tom boy, so I played with toy swords (and even some blunt real ones) when I was younger. I need to build up a bit more strength to use this for any length of time tho. I'm rather tall for a girl, so it's not like I'm some tiny person trying to wield a long-sword.

Comment

LOL - you'll be surprised. It isn't lack of strength right now, although it feels like it.

The actual thing you're experiencing is that you haven't practiced enought to coordinate your muscles to do specific tasks together - they're trying, but, like an unpracticed rowing teem, the end up pulling at cross purposes, wasting more energy than they actually use for the task. Once you get the basic movements down, you wil not feel a whole lot of muscle fatigue... until later.

If you haven't tried them, and might be interested in checking it out, I recommend Fighting with the German Longsword, by Christian Henry Tobler, for the so-called German style (my preference because I like German sounding terms better than Italian sounding terms), or The Swordsman's Companion: A Modern Training Manual for Medieval Longsword, by Guy Windsor for the "Italian style" (funny that Guy teaches southern style in Helsinki).

Both are excellent.

The sport is very popular with women - just try not to end up in battlefield wrestling - if you are small, it's pretty hopeless...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This is oddly reminiscent of a baby name thread.. eh anyway Vivian is pretty.
          Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
            Vivian is pretty.
            Makes me think of the punk from 'The Young Ones'. So not pretty and not very swordy. Still thank you for making an effort.

Comment

Shirley, Sarline, Morbos, Vulpaie, Amor, Espada, Andrei, Fluffy, Sarcasm, Sweety?
              Circe

Comment

Right now I'm toying with the name:

'Dusk Rarity'

Other ideas include:

'Zombie' naming it after what it will kill, lol.
                'Vorpal' naming it after the blade that slew the jabberwocky.

I have two other swords.
                One is called: 'The Wish'
                The other is called: 'Odin's eye poker'

- - - Updated - - -

I quite like Fluffy but no I couldn't.

Comment

I vote for Vorpal. In my opinion swords should be named something that sounds graceful
                  Circe

Comment

it is a male or female? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by MTNightJoane View Post
                      it is a male or female? :-)
                      I think it could be either but I usually prefer feminine names.

- - - Updated - - -

After watching 'How to train your dragon' last night (an awesome film if you've not already seen it) I am a little tempted to call it 'Night Fury'.

- - - Updated - - -

Also considering 'Avacyn' after the mtg card character. Mostly because she looks like Taylor Momsen and I'd like to name the sword after her but Taylor and Momsen are both rubbish names for a sword.

Comment

If it is a male, I think you should call him Akkarin But if it is a female??? Uh, I don't know... but Avacyn sounds great too!! (and it's very close to Akkarin)
                        ~ flowers are our only garments
                        only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Why Akkarin? Does it mean something?

Comment

Not really, he's a character from a great fantasy book I once read... and I just like sound of it, that's all.
                            ~ flowers are our only garments
                            only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Akroma

/10char
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X