Living History Re-enactment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living History Re-enactment!

If i recall correctly, there are a couple of members who are part of a living history reenacting society... I personally am joining the UK Viking society in the new year, which i am really looking forward to!

So, is there anyone else part of a society? Any shows coming up that the public can go to? Any info about what you do? Discuss!!!

Re: Living History Re-enactment!

Well, if you come and visit me on this side of the pond, I can dress you up in hoop skirts and corsets (surprisingly comfortable) and you can relive the (American) Civil War!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I'm a (rather inactive atm) member of a group called the Empire for Medieval Pursuits, and we get together once a month for Bardic nights, and one every two for major wars/events. There are meetings twice a week, but I don't live in Vancouver anymore, so I only hit up events that are happening while I'm visiting friends and family now.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Well, if you come and visit me on this side of the pond, I can dress you up in hoop skirts and corsets (surprisingly comfortable) and you can relive the (American) Civil War!
        Well if i ever make it over, you are definitely on my list of people to visit, not just for that reason lol! I've only done one show with the vikes but it was a horribly hot day, and despite the fact i had TWO dresses on i was the coolest temperature ive ever been... I think them history folk were on to something with their comfort/practicality when it comes to clothes.

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
        I'm a (rather inactive atm) member of a group called the Empire for Medieval Pursuits, and we get together once a month for Bardic nights, and one every two for major wars/events. There are meetings twice a week, but I don't live in Vancouver anymore, so I only hit up events that are happening while I'm visiting friends and family now.
        One thing i love about the Vikes is that there are so many groups within the society that once you join, you get email alerts with all the shows going on in the country and you can pick and choose which ones you go to, even if your group isnt going. There are training meetings once a week and i think there is a national society training weekend maybe once a year.

Comment

I'd like to, but I don't know how...apparently there are a few medieval and renaissance groups around here. Other than that, it's not too popular...most of our history is pretty depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            I'd like to, but I don't know how...apparently there are a few medieval and renaissance groups around here. Other than that, it's not too popular...most of our history is pretty depressing.
            Look online, and contact (usually just an email) whomever their contact is... Living history groups are generally thrilled to get new recruits...and depressing history has nothing to do with it. Heck, England has American Civil War reenacting...and its not because its an expat thing.

(So does Germany...seemingly BECAUSE its someone else's depressing history, they can forget the depressing part)

...actually, the local Union unit where I am from, was an entirely German unit, most were first generation Americans or fresh off the boat and German was the language spoken in the unit--it was organized by the Turner's, which was an immigrant society for German immigrants. To reenact in that unit, one has to learn Hardy's manual commands in German, lol
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Look online, and contact (usually just an email) whomever their contact is... Living history groups are generally thrilled to get new recruits...and depressing history has nothing to do with it. Heck, England has American Civil War reenacting...and its not because its an expat thing.

(So does Germany...seemingly BECAUSE its someone else's depressing history, they can forget the depressing part)

...actually, the local Union unit where I am from, was an entirely German unit, most were first generation Americans or fresh off the boat and German was the language spoken in the unit--it was organized by the Turner's, which was an immigrant society for German immigrants. To reenact in that unit, one has to learn Hardy's manual commands in German, lol
              I checked the Vikes for european groups because i know that at the hastings reenactment a few weeks ago there were french members, however there's only a group in the netherlands. Although there are a few dotted around America for anyone interested.

Comment

Tomorrow's the daaaay I'll officially be joining and becoming a Viking Reenactor

Comment

Originally posted by Almost_lost View Post
                  Tomorrow's the daaaay I'll officially be joining and becoming a Viking Reenactor
                  Well done - hope you enjoy it.... have you ever watched the movie Faintheart? It's about a Viking re-enactment society... you might find it fun, it's quite a sweet film!
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                  X