Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Business of Being Born

A documentary.
    I don't plan on getting pregnant any time soon, but it was interesting to see how medicine has treated pregnancies over time. From the drugs they give a woman in labor (and the effects those drugs have), to the increase in c-sections without any real reason, to the mistakes we've made in the past and how babies/mothers have suffered for it.
    They interview some of the women who opt to have natural births, and show their labor/delivery. They also interview those who have had hospital deliveries and get their thoughts on it.

{There was also something in there about "twilight sleep", which was scary as all heck. The woman would be drugged and tied to a bed (because she could become violent), all so that she wouldn't have any recollection of any pain. It didn't take the pain away, btw, it just made you forget it. They would tie her up and leave her there, sometimes in her own filth, for days. I had never heard of this before the documentary, so there's a bit of history in there.}

So it was interesting in a science/feminine perspective. It's not something that's against hospital births, but it's showing women that they do have choices, and that they shouldn't be so scared of their bodies. That's what I got from it, anyway ^_^

I think this documentary would be interesting for people who:

1. Are planning to get pregnant and would like to see options.
    2. People who are interested in documentaries about exposing hospital/insurance frauds and/or methods.
    3. Are feminists, nature-oriented, or just like to take the most natural route possible in life.
    4. Are open-minded.
    5. Are interested in holistic medicine.
    6. People who like to see any sort of women empowerment stories.

I don't think this documentary is for:

1. People who are squeamish about blood or nudity.
    2. People who aren't interested too much in women's issues or babies.

So yeah, it's on Netflix.

Re: The Business of Being Born

Cool! I have Netflix. I'll have to watch it. I love documentaries and it seems like it goes over some very interesting things on this topic. More than the basic delivery methods that everyone already knows about.

Comment

Hmm, think I'll pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Moody Thursday View Post
        There was also something in there about "twilight sleep", which was scary as all heck. The woman would be drugged and tied to a bed (because she could become violent), all so that she wouldn't have any recollection of any pain. It didn't take the pain away, btw, it just made you forget it. They would tie her up and leave her there, sometimes in her own filth, for days. I had never heard of this before the documentary, so there's a bit of history in there.
        Twilight sleep was used on my mom. It's basically datura juice.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Twilight sleep was used on my mom. It's basically datura juice.
          Did a quick wiki-search on it, and twilight sleep is induced with morphine and something called "scopolamine".
          However, I can't find much on datura, except that it's a plant of some sort? Used in different holistic/mystical ways? I'd like to know more if you have any info.
          But that's interesting. Did she use the datura juice for labor/delivery or something else?

Comment

Twilight Sleep is really bad for the babies. Makes them born tired and have breathing problems. I get why you'd want to avoid the pain, but I suggest just getting a c section done. I doubt doctors would even do twilight sleep nowadays.

Comment

Did a quick wiki-search on it, and twilight sleep is induced with morphine and something called "scopolamine".
              However, I can't find much on datura, except that it's a plant of some sort? Used in different holistic/mystical ways? I'd like to know more if you have any info.
              But that's interesting. Did she use the datura juice for labor/delivery or something else?
              Scopolamine is one of the datura toxins. Yes, datura is a plant , and it has a long history of being associated with witchcraft.

However, I strongly advise people not to mess with it. It is a very dangerous hallucinogen - not a nice trip.

My mother was given twilight sleep in the hospital. I'm over 50 years old, and it was standard practice back then.

Any doctor who gives this crap to a lady in labor should be shot on sight. It isn't used any more, I hope.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                Scopolamine is one of the datura toxins. Yes, datura is a plant , and it has a long history of being associated with witchcraft.

However, I strongly advise people not to mess with it. It is a very dangerous hallucinogen - not a nice trip.

My mother was given twilight sleep in the hospital. I'm over 50 years old, and it was standard practice back then.

Any doctor who gives this crap to a lady in labor should be shot on sight. It isn't used any more, I hope.
                Oh wow. Yeah, it's not used anymore. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I'm adding it to my queue! I am not planning to have children any time soon, but I wish to someday. And I love documentaries in general. Thanks for sharing this one! ^_^
                  My everyday wacky blog

Comment

I've seen the documentary and I am convinced now that if I ever have children, I want a midwife. LOL! It's a very good documentary and I gave it four stars. It also gets extra points in my book, for adding in the hilarious Monty Python's Meaning Of Life scenes. ^_^
                    My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
                      I've seen the documentary and I am convinced now that if I ever have children, I want a midwife. LOL! It's a very good documentary and I gave it four stars. It also gets extra points in my book, for adding in the hilarious Monty Python's Meaning Of Life scenes. ^_^
                      LoL I was the same way! After watching it I was all empowered and ready to have a baby right in my living room! Hahaha But it did touch on a lot of things I didn't know before, and that I will definitely take into consideration when I decide to have a child.
                      I think what made me watch the documentary (even though I'm not planning children) is that the thought of a woman not being able to give birth on her own always seemed unusual to me. It's the most natural thing in the world, and all animals do it. I wondered if perhaps women had "forgotten" something and were now unable to have babies outside of a hospital setting. Turns out, we haven't forgotten at all. Some women aren't aware of the choice of birthing at home, some prefer the comfort of the hospital, some have complications and have to be at the hospital. But it was really good to see that earthly, mother-naturey type of connection and inner strength we have.

And yes, the Monty Python made me crack up :-p

Comment

LoL I was the same way! After watching it I was all empowered and ready to have a baby right in my living room! Hahaha But it did touch on a lot of things I didn't know before, and that I will definitely take into consideration when I decide to have a child.
                        I think what made me watch the documentary (even though I'm not planning children) is that the thought of a woman not being able to give birth on her own always seemed unusual to me. It's the most natural thing in the world, and all animals do it. I wondered if perhaps women had "forgotten" something and were now unable to have babies outside of a hospital setting. Turns out, we haven't forgotten at all. Some women aren't aware of the choice of birthing at home, some prefer the comfort of the hospital, some have complications and have to be at the hospital. But it was really good to see that earthly, mother-naturey type of connection and inner strength we have.

And yes, the Monty Python made me crack up :-p
                        ROTFL! Me too! XD
                        Yeah, I thought midwives were unprepared hippies and having a child at home was overly dangerous. And I actually believed that the hospital was safer and cleaner too. That's the propaganda being pushed anyways.
                        The only child birth video I ever saw was when I was a teen... and it was brutal with a couple in bell bottoms rushing into a hospital... the woman screaming and blood everywhere! It scared the living daylights out of me! I swore right then that if I ever give birth I want lots and lots of narcotics! o_o
                        But, with this documentary, I've changed my mind completely. I think I can handle a natural birth, I'm sure of it, if there are no complications. If there are, a hospital will be best. I love how they show that if there are major complications, the midwife knows how to recognize that and rush the mother to the ER. It's good to know my options! Every woman should see that documentary, I think.
                        My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
                          ROTFL! Me too! XD
                          Yeah, I thought midwives were unprepared hippies and having a child at home was overly dangerous. And I actually believed that the hospital was safer and cleaner too. That's the propaganda being pushed anyways.
                          The only child birth video I ever saw was when I was a teen... and it was brutal with a couple in bell bottoms rushing into a hospital... the woman screaming and blood everywhere! It scared the living daylights out of me! I swore right then that if I ever give birth I want lots and lots of narcotics! o_o
                          But, with this documentary, I've changed my mind completely. I think I can handle a natural birth, I'm sure of it, if there are no complications. If there are, a hospital will be best. I love how they show that if there are major complications, the midwife knows how to recognize that and rush the mother to the ER. It's good to know my options! Every woman should see that documentary, I think.
                          I agree ^_^

Comment

Working...
                          X