Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madcap ideas or ways to make PF "better". Post your's here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madcap ideas or ways to make PF "better". Post your's here!

Introduce a flame wars section. One area where you can be as rude, bitchy and mean as you damn well please and those who don't like that sort of thing can just avoid that section and those who do enjoy being nasty can let off steam there away from everyone else. I would add that threats such as "I'm going to track you down and break your f-ing legs" should still be banned even in that section.

On a more serious note (unless the powers that be actually like that ^ idea, in which case on an equally serious note) subscribing to threads should be automatic when you post in them. I pretty much always forget to subscribe and then have to wade through the activity stream back to my last post.

Rep should be split into a positive score and a negative score so that those of us who are good at picking up both kinds (like me) can show off our "marmite" factor and not be mistaken for those who have little impact on the forums. For example person a) gets 6 positives and 5 negatives whilst person b) gets one positive. Under the current system they both appear to have the same rep of one positive.

Re: Madcap ideas or ways to make PF "better". Post your's here!

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
    Introduce a flame wars section. One area where you can be as rude, bitchy and mean as you damn well please and those who don't like that sort of thing can just avoid that section and those who do enjoy being nasty can let off steam there away from everyone else. I would add that threats such as "I'm going to track you down and break your f-ing legs" should still be banned even in that section.
    This would be great, as long as it doesn't get into back-stabbing people, as the " What are you thinking of" thread ends to do when forum members decide to team up and gang rape some other forum member whom they don't like...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Hmmm we could create such a section inside the adult section.
      Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Comment

Just remember that once you start such comments, you can't retract them. If you really want to be rude and bitchy then fine... but understand that PF will change. Relationships between members may alter in ways you won't expect and might not like.

With regard to the rep ratings, I seem to remember PF had that system in place a few years back.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

1. No. We already have the adult section where we are much more relaxed on "mean and nasty" how much more mean do you want to get?

2. The option to automatically subscribe to threads when you post in them is already there in your settings section.

3. The current karma system does not allow for that option (to display positive and negative). I would be willing to research a mod that might allow for the split view, but only if this gets a popular vote from the entire forum (read active members).
          “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
            1. No. We already have the adult section where we are much more relaxed on "mean and nasty" how much more mean do you want to get?
            THANK YOU!! I've seen entire forums "go to hell in a handbasket" when flaming sections get started. I'd hate to have to leave another one.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
              THANK YOU!! I've seen entire forums "go to hell in a handbasket" when flaming sections get started. I'd hate to have to leave another one.
              ^^^ This!

I've seen this, and the other extreme - flame wars getting to be so bad that the forum admins and mods go into lock-down mode where even constructive criticisms on artwork becomes a no-no. I think PF has a decent balance - we get out of line sometimes, the mods let us go so far, and then they throw us all into our separate corners.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I agree with Tylluan on this one. This isn't a very good idea.
                “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

I would also like to add that we DO have a teen section as well for those members that are under 20 and would like to discuss things in s more private section with like-aged people. The way to get access to thee teen section is the same as the adult section. Just PM one the admins. The only stipulations are to be under 20 and you can't be a member of both teen or adult sections if you're 18 out 19. And yes, the admins can check your age even if it's not publicly displayed.
                  “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
                    Rep should be split into a positive score and a negative score so that those of us who are good at picking up both kinds (like me) can show off our "marmite" factor and not be mistaken for those who have little impact on the forums. For example person a) gets 6 positives and 5 negatives whilst person b) gets one positive. Under the current system they both appear to have the same rep of one positive.
                    Thats an
                    interresting idea, but it would make medusa look too sweet...
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      This would be great, as long as it doesn't get into back-stabbing people, as the " What are you thinking of" thread ends to do when forum members decide to team up and gang rape some other forum member whom they don't like...
                      Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                      I've only seen that work on *one* forum. It is around an internet radio stream for heavy metal music. If people took their personal beef outside of the "Eternal Flame", the mods were happy to rebuke them - up to a point. Nobody said it had to be a hippy circle outside of that one board.

The difference was that this wasn't some new content to that forum - it was a playpen for the children, to keep them out of the discussions of the big boys and girls. If you wanted to launch a personal attack, dogpile on someone for being an arse, you start a thread, calling them out by their username, and a throng of people would happily spew obscenities at them with you.

This was a wonderful place to call out those darn children that kept requesting metalcore. Even the mods were happy to see that sort of annoyance instigated into leaving or getting banned.

It's been that way for 15 years - an eternity, relative to the way social networks come and go on this world wide web.

Is this the kind of community that we have? Do we already have that kind of attitude? Is there a need to contain that sort of rampant hostility among the whole forum, because banning every participant would leave the forum nearly empty? Because that is the kind of culture where flame boards keep a community together, rather than tearing them apart.
                      "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                      http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                      "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                      http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                      "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                      http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

I'm especially happy there is no 'flame war' section here. Because I'm the best at what I do and what I do isn't......

oops. I'm not Wolverine. My bad.

But I can be.
                        hissssssssssssssssssssssssss
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'd rather we didn't have something like a flame room or whatever. There are some very well-spoken and bright members here who I am sure, eventually, the bad-eggs will tire of trying to stand up to and will move on and bother some other community. We're strong enough. I admit it's getting on my nerves but hey, I'm no angel around here myself.. I just have teeth marks from biting my lip so often. On the bright side, we have some gorgeous new members joining recently, so it's all in balance...
                          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            I'm especially happy there is no 'flame war' section here. Because I'm the best at what I do and what I do isn't......

oops. I'm not Wolverine. My bad.

But I can be.
                            hissssssssssssssssssssssssss

Going back to an old tradition?
                            "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                            http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                            "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                            http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                            "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                            http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

A. No, to flame wars. There's other places to go to put on your boxing gloves. The TV and FU forums thrived on both hostility and the art of it. That is not what we ever want to present, here, at PF. Ever.

B. I never use that activity stream. Straight to my subscribed threads and then on to new posts. In fact, I wasn't even aware of the activity stream until someone else commented about it, a while back.

C. Split reputation makes no sense. It invites childish plus and minus games, LOL-wars and is completely useless for fresh members to get a feel for who is worth a damn. The way it is now, you have a long hard road to get a great reputation. Same with a bad reputation. As notorious as Medusa is and always has been, around here, for skirting the very limits all the way to having her hands metaphorically smacked for poking someone too hard, that reputation is not just well earned, but very, very telling. Taking a look at Thalassa's reputation, or Mrs. Penry's, that reputation is also well earned and very telling. Not having any reputation to speak of? Well, you better get to work if you want it to show what kind of person you are. That is, unless it already shows that.

It works, absolutely, as intended.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                              X