Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woden/Odin/Cerrnunos/Herne/Horned God - are they all the same or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woden/Odin/Cerrnunos/Herne/Horned God - are they all the same or what?

Are all these Gods basically one and the same - ie: archetypes or manifestations of the same thing?

What is the difference between Cernunnos and Woden for example?

and can one revere gods from different pantheons at the same time?

Re: Woden/Odin/Cerrnunos/Herne/Horned God - are they all the same or what?

One can revere deities from different pantheons, but it's important to aim for a balance. If you're not careful - or well informed - then you'll end up without that.

Lumping together Herne, Woden, Odin and Cernnunos will - as I've commented elsewhere - take some mental agility. I don't personally believe they're the same.

If you want to know - you have to learn. And in order to learn you must make the effort. What have you read so far? And what conclusions have you reached?
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

It all depends on what your belief is.
      Mine personally is, the deities take the form of whatever you need them to be.
      I.E. All the Goddesses are one and all the Gods are one.

They appear to you however you need them to appear. With each incarnation having it's own energy about them.
      "The fire could not be tamed with the wind,
      nor the wind suppressed by the flames.
      As blending the Light with the Dark
      merely results in Grey." -Ville Friman

Comment

Originally posted by westwoden View Post
        Are all these Gods basically one and the same - ie: archetypes or manifestations of the same thing?

I have not heard of those who work with Odin/Woden compare to him as Cernunnos, Herne or the Horned God. Doesn't mean that's not the case. I can't recall Odin being referred to with the word horned in any way but again doesn't mean it's not right.

Comment

The answer to this will largely depend on the person doing the answering...
          Some will say that deity is all a manifestation of the same thing, others will argue that each god is separate and distinct with personalities and prefrences. These groups will argue till they all turn blue...

What do you believe?

That is really the bit that matters the most, what do you feel, and how do you relate to it? Without those questions being answered, the answers other people give you are going to feel a bit like akward stew...
          Cernunnos is a gallo-celtic form of deity (again depends on whom you ask) and is often referred to as a horned god, the mythelogical refrences to him are dodgy at best though, but nevertheless he has many followers. Woden is Anglo-Saxon in origin, but I am largely unfamiliar with too much more.
          As for the bit about multiple pantheons, It is something a number of people are cool with doing. (I am one of these people.)
          It can go well or poorly, depending again upon your views of the nature of deity/divinity/the gods. Try not to make too much god soup, without revrence, otherwise like Tyullan said you end up with mental crazies and acrobatics.
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Are they the same? Yes and no. I believe they are all fragments of the same divine energy but they have different personalities and don't always see eye to eye. In otherwords God has MPD.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              Lumping together Herne, Woden, Odin and Cernnunos will - as I've commented elsewhere - take some mental agility. I don't personally believe they're the same.

If you want to know - you have to learn. And in order to learn you must make the effort. What have you read so far? And what conclusions have you reached?

I"ve read a hodgepodge of stuff.

virtually the whole of the OBOD official druid site, ADF (another druid site), the Witches Bible (Farrar), a whole host of general pagan stuff off the net, and a few other random books about paganism and witchcraft.

I guess I'm a little stuck on labels at present, and feel an attachment to Woden and Druidry as I come from Southern England and spent a lot of time around pagan parts of Britain in my youth (ie: Stonehenge, Glastonbury area, Ridgeway, Avebury, various sites in Oxfordshire etc..).

can a Druid have Woden as the main god?

I am also obsessed with Nietzsche (having read his entire works) and am also interested in Jung, Satanism and depth psychology - so Woden just sticks out here.

like a combination of Dionysus and Appollo at the same time.

Comment

Honestly, it depends a lot on what you mean by druid. There are tons of different druid traditions out there. Some are Celtic focused, others might work from a broader range of sources.
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

well, I guess it must be possible as Druidry does appear to be a fairly flexible path.

I think Woden must be the one for me, now I need to find a suitable Female Goddess to complement Him.

Brigid is the one that appeals for some reason - any suggestions?

I'm not sure I'm into the symbolism of Frigg, Freya so much as some say that she was his wife?

I"m more attracted to the independent, strong, magical Goddess type - in human terms this would be like a determined single mother, full of feminine and masculine power

Comment

Just keep in mind, what you're attracted to, and who actually shows up once things get rolling may not actually be the same... Some pagans successfully pick which deity or deities become their "main" deities - but many find they're called by particular deities as they practice, and they're not always expected. (And not always in male/female pairs, either...)
                    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I"ve read a hodgepodge of stuff.

virtually the whole of the OBOD official druid site, ADF (another druid site), the Witches Bible (Farrar), a whole host of general pagan stuff off the net, and a few other random books about paganism and witchcraft.

I guess I'm a little stuck on labels at present, and feel an attachment to Woden and Druidry as I come from Southern England and spent a lot of time around pagan parts of Britain in my youth (ie: Stonehenge, Glastonbury area, Ridgeway, Avebury, various sites in Oxfordshire etc..).

I am also obsessed with Nietzsche (having read his entire works) and am also interested in Jung, Satanism and depth psychology - so Woden just sticks out here.

like a combination of Dionysus and Appollo at the same time.
                      Well, now it's time to focus your reading a bit more. For example, how do you feel about Woden's inclusion in the Nine Herbs Charm? Have you studied it? And if so, what do you feel that it tells you? It's something I'm quite happy to discuss if you feel it could help.

With regard to 'like a combination of Dionysus and APollo at the same time...' actually the Renaissance period had no problem with this at all (I would recommend Ficino if you want to pursue that further.)

Hope this helps and hope to hear further.

Comment

here's the poem:

A snake came crawling, it bit a man.
                        Then Woden took nine glory-twigs,
                        Smote the serpent so that it flew into nine parts.There apple brought this pass against poison,
                        That she nevermore would enter her house.[1]

I"ll have a think - get back to you later

Comment

I think you had better have the complete charm:

Remember, Mugwort, what you revealed,
                          What you prepared at Regenmeld.
                          Una, you are called, eldest of herbs.
                          You avail against three and against thirty,
                          You avail against poison and against infectious sickness,
                          You avail against the loathsome fiend that wanders through the land.
                          And you, Plantain, mother of herbs,
                          Open from the east, mighty from within.
                          Over you carts creaked, over you queens rode,
                          Brides exclaimed over you, over you bulls gnashed their teeth.
                          Yet all these you withstood and fought against:
                          So may you poison and infectious sicknesses resist
                          And the loathsome fiend that wanders through the land.
                          Stime this herb is named; on stone it grew.
                          It stands against poison, it combats pain.
                          Fierce it is called, it fights against venom,
                          It expels malicious [demons], it casts out venom.
                          This is the herb that fought against the snake,
                          This avails against venom, it avails against infectious illnesses,
                          It avails against the loathsome fiend that wanders through the land.
                          Fly now, Betonica, the less from the greater,
                          The greater from the less, until there be a remedy for both.
                          Remember, Camomile, what you revealed,
                          What you brought about at Alorford:
                          That he nevermore gave up the ghost because of ills infectious,
                          Since Camomile into a drug for him was made.
                          This is the herb called Wergulu.
                          The seal sent this over the ocean's ridge
                          To heal the horror of other poison.
                          These nine fought against nine poisons:
                          A snake came sneaking, it slew a man.
                          Then Woden took nine thunderbolts
                          And struck the serpent so that in nine parts it flew.
                          There apple destroyed the serpent's poison:
                          That it nevermore in house would dwell.
                          Thyme and Fennel, an exceeding mighty two,
                          These herbs the wise Lord created,
                          Holy in heaven, while hanging [on the cross].
                          He laid and placed them in the seven worlds,
                          As a help for the poor and the rich alike.
                          It stands against pain, it fights against poison,
                          It is potent against three and against thirty,
                          Against a demon's hand, and against sudden guile,
                          Against enchantment by vile creatures.
                          Now these nine herbs avail against nine accursMdsp irits,
                          Against nine poisons and against nine infectious ills,
                          Against the red poison, against the running poison,
                          Against the white poison, against the blue poison,
                          Against the yellow poison, against the green poison,
                          Against the black poison, against the blue poison,
                          Against the brown poison, against the scarlet poison,
                          Against worm-blister, against water-blister,
                          Against thorn-blister, against thistle-blister,
                          Against ice-blister, against poison-blister,
                          If any infection come flying from the east, or any come from the north,
                          Or any come from the west upon the people.
                          Christ stood over poison of every kind.
                          I alone know [the use of] running water, and the nine serpents take heed [of it].
                          All pastures now may spring up with herbs,
                          The seas, all salt water, vanish,
                          When I blow this poison from you.
                          Mugwort, plantain which is open eastward, lamb's cress, betony,
                          camomile, nettle, crab-apple, thyme and fennel, [and] old soap; reduce
                          the herbs to a powder, mix [this] with the soap and with the juice of the
                          apple. Make a paste of water and of ashes; take fennel, boil it in the
                          paste and bathe with egg-mixture, either before or after the patient applies
                          the salve. Sing the charm on each of the herbs: three times before
                          he brews them, and on the apple likewise; and before he applies the
                          salve, sing the charm into the patient's mouth and into both his ears
                          and into the wound

[There is a huge amount of info and controversy with this charm - the translation I am using comes from Grendon 1909. Very interesting document and you can find it online for free too.]

So, to begin with.... read it through and see what leaps out at you.... then we can have a chat about it...

Comment

It depends on your belief. For many soft posytheists, there is a big possibility that they can be the same. Unlike the hard polytheists, who often see them as completely different beings, with there own personality.

Mixing pantheons into one big belief paste is up to you, but I just have to say that I'm not a big fan of it.
                            ~ flowers are our only garments
                            only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                              Well, now it's time to focus your reading a bit more. For example, how do you feel about Woden's inclusion in the Nine Herbs Charm? Have you studied it? And if so, what do you feel that it tells you? It's something I'm quite happy to discuss if you feel it could help.
                              I had a look through the charm and some info on it last night.

seems to be that, if you take Woden on board he will look out for you, and help you to overcome issues in life??

and how about the poem, some of it is similar to Christianity (ie: the cross, spear) so which religion copied which,

Was the Christian cross a copy of a pagan idea or the other way around?

It all sounds fairly magical though, that is something that appeals for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X