Odinism v. Wodenism v. Druidry - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odinism v. Wodenism v. Druidry - help!

Druidry is my number one path but I have a great leaning towards Odin and Woden as well.

is there any essential difference in the God concept here?

can one be a druid, but have Woden as the God?

and what is the difference between Woden and Odin anyway?

thanks

Re: Odinism v. Wodenism v. Druidry - help!

Originally posted by westwoden View Post
    Druidry is my number one path but I have a great leaning towards Odin and Woden as well.

is there any essential difference in the God concept here?

can one be a druid, but have Woden as the God?

and what is the difference between Woden and Odin anyway?

thanks
    It is my understanding that most druidic groups, allow for the choice of pantheon, within druidry. I spent some time trying to decide if the path of the druid was right for me, and did alot of research. That said there are alot of groups, so I thik it depends on who you are learning from, or whether you are going about it on your own. If you are doing this yourself, espouse whichever god you love.
    As for the differences between odin and wotan, that is far outside of my area of knowledge and I think that there are quite a few more qualified people to speak to that.:smile:
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Firstly you must work out exactly what draws you towards Woden.... and to the Anglo-Saxons. What do you know so far, and how much have you read?

Avoid quick fix answers - it's a long and difficult path (aren't they all?) and some of the info is a bit obscure. Tell me your understanding so far, what you hope to find, and what you've researched. Then I'll try and take it from there - I don't have all the answers, mind you. But I'll do my best to help you make a start.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by westwoden View Post
        what is the difference between Woden and Odin anyway?
        The spelling and the pronounciation. It's the same God! Back before telephones and the internet language tended to have variations pretty much between one village and the next. This was even more the case when not much was written down. It's like the game Chinese whispers.

Comment

This isn't just a difference between villages though - Woden is Anglo-Saxon, Odin (with several variants) is Norse. Although the NOrsemen brought their traditions to England from the end of the 8th century - there may be similarities, but there are also difference between them.

They may be descended from the same much earlier, perhaps proto-Germanic figure, but they aren't the same with difference spelling.

Just as Diana and Artemis - although the Romans syncretised them - remain quite different in many ways.

If the OP wants to follow the Anglo-Saxon way, it's very important to be quite clear about that. There are other cognates of Woden within the Anglo-Saxon world, but Odin was not one of them.

Comment

ok, thanks for the replies, I''ll get busy researching.

I seem to have made mulitple threads now by mistake so I"ll stick to the one in the main section now , Title: ('Woden/Odin/Cernunnos -are they the same'?)

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              This isn't just a difference between villages though - Woden is Anglo-Saxon, Odin (with several variants) is Norse. Although the NOrsemen brought their traditions to England from the end of the 8th century - there may be similarities, but there are also difference between them.

They may be descended from the same much earlier, perhaps proto-Germanic figure, but they aren't the same with difference spelling.

Just as Diana and Artemis - although the Romans syncretised them - remain quite different in many ways.

If the OP wants to follow the Anglo-Saxon way, it's very important to be quite clear about that. There are other cognates of Woden within the Anglo-Saxon world, but Odin was not one of them.
              Next you'll be telling me that Venus isn't the same Goddess as Aphrodite. Changing the name and adding some extra mythology does not a new God/Goddess make.

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
                Next you'll be telling me that Venus isn't the same Goddess as Aphrodite. Changing the name and adding some extra mythology does not a new God/Goddess make.

You don't understand there was a difference between the Roman Diana and the Greek Artemis before they became syncretised?

Comment

You don't understand there was a difference between the Roman Diana and the Greek Artemis before they became syncretised?
                  That might be, but saying Woden isn't Odin is like saying Jehovah isn't Yahweh.

- - - Updated - - -

A change in name reflects a different people not a different God.

Your argument requires the gods to be completely man made, my argument requires them to be something more than that.

Comment

I'm a bit confused by this myself. You mention that Artemis and Diana, although syncretised, 'remain quite different in many ways.' From what I've seen though, these two actually had a lot more in common than they did differences... What were some of the differences?
                    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                      I'm a bit confused by this myself. You mention that Artemis and Diana, although syncretised, 'remain quite different in many ways.' From what I've seen though, these two actually had a lot more in common than they did differences... What were some of the differences?
                      Well, there is the question of origin to start with. Artemis is part of a trilogy (with Leto and Apollo) which probably originated in Asia Minor (some controversy about that obviously because there is controvery about most things - but the evidence for it is pretty convincing IMHO). Diana never had that - and of course did not become equated with Artemis until around the end of the Roman Republic - which is a very late date when you consider it. In other words, Artemis existed as Artemis for centuries, and Diana existed as Diana before they were syncretised and became equated with each other.

Diana was a goddess of hunting long before Artemis was introduced into Italy - and this shows she had a separate and distinct personality. It really isn't simply a case of 'You'll call her Diana and I'll call her Artemis.' It's quite subtle and complicated.

Without wishing to write an essay here I'm just going to give a brief outline... Diana became identified with many of the Celtic hunting goddesses, probably due to the expansion of the Roman empire throughout north western Europe. She is particularly associated with Abnoba, goddess of hunting, rivers and forests and possibly also a fertility and mother goddess who was worshipped in Germany’s black forest region. She was also associated with Arduinna, the boar goddess of the forest of Ardennes, who protected the animals of the hunt and was portrayed with a bow and a quiver.

The thing about hunting goddesses is that they need very similar attributes. A short tunic for agility, buckskins and a bow, perhaps a hound are pretty universal. They don't 'prove' that one goddess was the same as another.

For example, Diana, unlike Artemis was revered as patroness of vines, fruit trees and ripening fruits. If they were identical, then this would surely not apply. The fact that it does suggests further layers of meaning and complex layers of identity.

Finally, one of the most interesting and distinct aspects of Diana is her authority to resolve hostile disputes at the discrimen, the place where forest paths met and intersected. Here participants had to throw down their weapons. It was already forbidden to carry arms in temple precincts, and also in sacred groves. However, Diana’s groves and sanctuaries were always in wildest, most remote places, where travelers were likely to encounter wild animals, outlaws and hostile warriors. To make such a journey unarmed was to invite trouble, and yet once they reached the discrimen they had to set aside their weapons, the assumption being that Diana would protet them. This never applied to Artemis and it has been suggested that leaders of the rival tribes in Italy used the discrimen as a neutral meeting ground where they could negotiate in safety

You may not think any of this is significant. Fair enough. I would beg to differ.

Comment

That might be, but saying Woden isn't Odin is like saying Jehovah isn't Yahweh.

- - - Updated - - -

A change in name reflects a different people not a different God.

Your argument requires the gods to be completely man made, my argument requires them to be something more than that.
                        The linguist Phillip Shaw makes a good case for Odin/Woden being separate in his thesis Uses of Woden. A)The two names are not etymologically related. B)The scholarship concerning a pan-germanic allfather was anachronistic. C)The culture of worship was wholly different (ie Odin is a shaman-poet/Woden was a warrior-tradesman.)

Comment

Don't agree with that. My argument simply observes the evidence and makes tentative conclusions. There is more to gods than naming.

Comment

How did the Druids and the Odininsts of the past get on?

and how about today? they have many similarites, concepts etc..

did the Anglo-Saxons of the past have any issues with the Druids?

here is another question:

how do I know where my roots really are?

I am from England which is Saxon, but a quick check on my surname shows it to be of Scottish origin, hence Celtic?

however, from my mother's side the name seems to have more French/Germanic roots. (from way back though, perhaps 200 years)

so where does that leave me?

Comment

Anyone who is English is going to be a nice mix of celtic, roman, anglo-saxon, viking and norman. Adding Scottish, French and German to that really doesn't make much difference. It is entirely up to you which pantheon of Gods you choose to worship and how you choose to worship them. If you are really hung up on your ancestry I would suggest an eclectic mixture to reflect your muttish heritage.

Comment

Working...
                              X