Pagan Version Of The "Holy Ghost"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan Version Of The "Holy Ghost"?

I'm sorry if this is a strange or weird question to ask... But, it's something that I wanted to ask forever, just to make sure if I'm really really crazy or just fine in my experiences in prayer/ritual. I remember in the Christian religion, people believed in being "filled with the holy ghost", they would fall to the floor and go to these seizure like movements. OR, they would start "speaking in tongues" when moved in their worship. I never experienced that for myself when I was Christian and thought it was just craziness when I saw it. Though, maybe I was a tad too hasty in my judgement...

Well, I noticed that whenever I'm in prayer, meditation, or ritual I get this tingly feeling over me. I don't fall to floor or speak in foreign tongues, but I find myself in this great burst of "spiritual ecstasy", is the only way I know how to describe it. It's not sexual physically, but kind of in my mind and spirit. I'm wondering if this is common or just that I am too overly excited (too much endorphin releasing because I take great joy in worship)?

I find myself freely accepting prayer requests from friends and family, just to experience that rush again and again, even requests like, "pray for me to get an A on my next exam!". And sometimes just meditation with the Gods and Goddess, without asking for something causes this feeling/emotion. So, I am wondering too if there is a such thing as a Pagan version of "the Holy ghost" and does it have a name? Or is it all in my imagination? Sorry, if this is a noob question to the max! ;^_^
    My everyday wacky blog

Re: Pagan Version Of The "Holy Ghost"?

I think it is possible to feel the presence of the divine. If you invite a God or Goddess into your circle, sometimes they are gonna turn up and you will more often feel their presence rather than see or hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
      I think it is possible to feel the presence of the divine. If you invite a God or Goddess into your circle, sometimes they are gonna turn up and you will more often feel their presence rather than see or hear them.
      Coolies! Good, so I'm not going crazy (er) then. ^_^
      Yep, I feel them more than I hear them, I guess. I only seem to hear them in my dreams, not in prayer or meditation, most of the time. But I always get that feeling and emotion.
      My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
        I'm sorry if this is a strange or weird question to ask... But, it's something that I wanted to ask forever, just to make sure if I'm really really crazy or just fine in my experiences in prayer/ritual. I remember in the Christian religion, people believed in being "filled with the holy ghost", they would fall to the floor and go to these seizure like movements. OR, they would start "speaking in tongues" when moved in their worship. I never experienced that for myself when I was Christian and thought it was just craziness when I saw it. Though, maybe I was a tad too hasty in my judgement...

Well, I noticed that whenever I'm in prayer, meditation, or ritual I get this tingly feeling over me. I don't fall to floor or speak in foreign tongues, but I find myself in this great burst of "spiritual ecstasy", is the only way I know how to describe it. It's not sexual physically, but kind of in my mind and spirit. I'm wondering if this is common or just that I am too overly excited (too much endorphin releasing because I take great joy in worship)?

I find myself freely accepting prayer requests from friends and family, just to experience that rush again and again, even requests like, "pray for me to get an A on my next exam!". And sometimes just meditation with the Gods and Goddess, without asking for something causes this feeling/emotion. So, I am wondering too if there is a such thing as a Pagan version of "the Holy ghost" and does it have a name? Or is it all in my imagination? Sorry, if this is a noob question to the max! ;^_^
        It can be called all kinds of different things, but generally speaking, it's an 'altered state of consciousness' (often shortened to ASC). Many people do experience these types of feelings from spiritual or religious practice, and that's part of why people practice. You hear more about it in shamanistic paths than in typical Wicca practices. All sorts of things can place one into an ASC - including but not limited to drumming, dancing, fasting, sleep deprivation, rhythmic breathing, extended or intense prayer, singing, pain, sex, and yes, drugs and/or alcohol.

In Vodou, Santeria and other paths involving possession (even rituals like Drawing Down the God/Goddess), tingles, a feeling of floating, goosebumps or an almost electrical surge going through you, even that ecstatic rush of intense emotions can all be precursors to possession. From my experiences in a Pentecostal church, watching people being filled with the Holy Spirit is not much different than the beginning stages of a possessive trance, and it's very powerful to see and feel.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

afaik there are equivalents of the Holy Ghost, like a kind of Divine Pagan Force.

don't druids call this Awen, and the Germanic Pagans 'Werne'.?

I think this is similar.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
            It can be called all kinds of different things, but generally speaking, it's an 'altered state of consciousness' (often shortened to ASC). Many people do experience these types of feelings from spiritual or religious practice, and that's part of why people practice. You hear more about it in shamanistic paths than in typical Wicca practices. All sorts of things can place one into an ASC - including but not limited to drumming, dancing, fasting, sleep deprivation, rhythmic breathing, extended or intense prayer, singing, pain, sex, and yes, drugs and/or alcohol.

In Vodou, Santeria and other paths involving possession (even rituals like Drawing Down the God/Goddess), tingles, a feeling of floating, goosebumps or an almost electrical surge going through you, even that ecstatic rush of intense emotions can all be precursors to possession. From my experiences in a Pentecostal church, watching people being filled with the Holy Spirit is not much different than the beginning stages of a possessive trance, and it's very powerful to see and feel.
            Ah, I see! I have felt that electrical surge going through me too! And yes, my meditations are kind of long, for two hours or more. My prayers are intense, because I do become a lot intense in my wishes sometimes. I feel floating, tingly, goosebumps, a rush of emotions... AND there's this cool chill that runs up my spine, sorta like it does when I'm terrified, but in a very positive way and I'm not frighten! It's all good and is why I can't see myself ever leaving this path and going back to Christian roots. In Church (and I'm embarrassed to say this, but I want to be truthful), I felt bored and sometimes nodded off to sleep. Even when it was my turn to lead a short sermon, I felt hallow inside and detached, my mind having it's own thoughts of "yawn... what time is it? I wonder if I will get back in time to watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer..." u_u
            But in my Pagan path, from the start I felt so engaged and this emotion in worship keeps me coming back! I've never felt, "yawn, this is boring." in anything I do in my worship. I love that! ^_^

And about Vodou, I don't practice it, but I respect it. I really respect and admire the Shamanistic paths, but never feel confident enough to follow one of those paths. I'm very comfortable and content with the Wiccan path. So, it's interesting that ASC happens more with the path I admire greatly from a distance. Heehee. My grandfather's genealogy is part Native American, so I've always had a curiosity for shamanistic religions. Thanks for sharing so much info, perzephone!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by westwoden View Post
            afaik there are equivalents of the Holy Ghost, like a kind of Divine Pagan Force.

don't druids call this Awen, and the Germanic Pagans 'Werne'.?

I think this is similar.
            Wow, I must look up Awen more. That's interesting. I know a lot of concepts in Christianity come from older religions, but I've always wondered if there was an equivalent to the Holy Ghost. Obviously, I can't ask my Christian friends about stuff like this. LOL! I'm glad this forum is here! Thanks westwoden! ^_^
            My everyday wacky blog

Comment

I believe Awen is pronounced Arwen as in that elf bint from Lord of the Rings.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	200px-Arwen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	351545

Comment

ROTFL! I was thinking that too. I like Arwen, she's okay. I like Gandalf more. ^_^
                My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
                  ROTFL! I was thinking that too. I like Arwen, she's okay. I like Gandalf more. ^_^
                  Everyone has their thing. I like pretty girls, you like old men with big... staffs.

Comment

ROTFL!!! What? Doesn't everyone want or like a big staff?
                    No, seriously, I admire Gandalf. No romantic interest towards... that would be Aragorn for that. ;^_^
                    Not that elf that I keep hearing women swoon over... never trust an elf! >_>

- - - Updated - - -

I'm kidding, of course! LOL! About the "never trust an elf", Legolas was a great friend to Aragorn. I just love when Gimli shouts that, too funny. But, I never got the appeal about Legolas romantically. ^_-
                    I wish Gandalf was real... I would love to learn from his wisdom.
                    My everyday wacky blog

Comment

The Lord of the Rings is a pretty hardcore Druid film really.

I wonder what the Christians make of it?

Comment

Tolkien was a "Catholic" but he was a semi-quazi dabler as far as I understad. There is Christian themes (alot if you ask me) but also pagan themes But then again there are pagan themes in all the Fantasy genre, its almost impossible to NOT put pagan/mythological themes in hard core epic fantasy.

I'm reading the Hobbit right now and I just read some of his other lesser know works. Say what you want about him christian or not. The man was a genius at writing fantasy.

Thats just my opinion.

But this topic intrigues me. How do you get to that level of estaticism? I suppose I'm too self conscious about my family hearing me durring rituals to "Get to that Level" if you will.

What is the Awen? I've never heard of it. Is it like the "Great Spirit" of the Native American (Wakon I believe its called, *Spelling*) tradition.

Oh! and by the way, my name is Allan, I've *I Think* made an intro already. I just havent been here in a while.

Allan Wolfshadow

Comment

Originally posted by Avarin View Post
                          Tolkien was a "Catholic" but he was a semi-quazi dabler as far as I understad. There is Christian themes (alot if you ask me) but also pagan themes But then again there are pagan themes in all the Fantasy genre, its almost impossible to NOT put pagan/mythological themes in hard core epic fantasy.
                          As far as I know Tolkien was a very devout Catholic. In fact he converted C.S. Lewis.

He did, however, love Germanic cultures. Those themes show up constantly in the Middle Earth works. If I recall Aragorn was pretty much based off of Beowulf when Tolkien decided to make him a good guy.

FACTOID: Tolkien was the guy who first asserted the literary merit of the epic poem Beowulf.

What is the Awen? I've never heard of it. Is it like the "Great Spirit" of the Native American (Wakon I believe its called, *Spelling*) tradition.
                          Arwen's a character that makes a few brief appearances in Lord of the Rings. Her story is fleshed out more in the appendix of Return of the King and I believe the Lost Tales.

Oh! and by the way, my name is Allan, I've *I Think* made an intro already. I just havent been here in a while.

Allan Wolfshadow
                          Welcome back
                          my etsy store
                          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                          surrounded by plush, downy things,
                          ill prepared, but willing,
                          to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Avarin View Post
                            The Awen is basically the magical Force of Druidry.

(I believe the character played by Liv Tyler was Arwen, quite possibly meant to sound very similar)

Comment

I always thought Awen and wyrd were like fate, not so much an entity as they were a person's destiny.
                              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                              X