Anime, Manga and other fun things!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anime, Manga and other fun things!

Well I have been in to Anime for nearly 20 years now, it is how I meet my Husband so I owe it a lot in many respects, I have also mead some wonderful friends through it as well, so much that we even moved to be closer to them.

My Husband and I have not done conventions for some time now, but it was how we meet all them years ago. We did about a decade of them, helped on the committees of them and enjoyed the time we spent at them, but we just watch it, and read manga these days.

Among my all time favourites are :- Slayers, Saber Marionettte , Cow Boy Bebop, Oh My Goddess (had to mention that part of the sound track was used at our wedding ^_^), . Hack, Kiddygrade, Urusei Yatsura, and almost anything from Studio Ghibly just to mention a few. The list could go on.......

Currently working our way through Sword Art on line, after finishing High School of the Dead (brilliant sound track to H.O.T.D by the way), so even though we don't do the convention scene any more we still keep up to date with what is out there.

If you do end up going to a convention Jembru I hope you have a really good time! We used to love masquerading we even did day and evening costumes to most that we went to.
    When life hands you lemons make lemonade and find someone else who life handed them vodka and have a party.

Comment

Originally posted by Annwn View Post
      Well I have been in to Anime for nearly 20 years now, it is how I meet my Husband so I owe it a lot in many respects, I have also mead some wonderful friends through it as well, so much that we even moved to be closer to them.

My Husband and I have not done conventions for some time now, but it was how we meet all them years ago. We did about a decade of them, helped on the committees of them and enjoyed the time we spent at them, but we just watch it, and read manga these days.

Among my all time favourites are :- Slayers, Saber Marionettte , Cow Boy Bebop, Oh My Goddess (had to mention that part of the sound track was used at our wedding ^_^), . Hack, Kiddygrade, Urusei Yatsura, and almost anything from Studio Ghibly just to mention a few. The list could go on.......

Currently working our way through Sword Art on line, after finishing High School of the Dead (brilliant sound track to H.O.T.D by the way), so even though we don't do the convention scene any more we still keep up to date with what is out there.

If you do end up going to a convention Jembru I hope you have a really good time! We used to love masquerading we even did day and evening costumes to most that we went to.
      You know, although it wasn't exactly anime for us, I can really relate to your experience. It was the language rather than the animation that braught JP and I together, but if it weren't for his enthusiasm for anime, he would never have picked up so much Japanese and would never have been able to chat me up in Japanese as he did the night we met. So I too should really thank anime for that!

The cosplay thing hasn't come up again, although we've been drinking together A LOT lately. We have a new friend, Ryota, who is new to England, just getting to grips with the accent and absolutely hilarious (if entirely inappropriate, I'm considering making a compilation of Ryo quotes to share in 'things that make you lol'. JP laughed so hard I thought he would rupture something on Saturday night). Even if we don't dress up, I'd love to go to something as a group.

By coincidence, Ryo is returning to Japan in 2 weeks for a wedding, and Miyo is going with her husband at exactly the same time. They're going to try to meet up together in Japan. JP and I could have gone if we had more notice, but now I have no holidays left and we've used our money to decorate the flat. I'm gutted! (T_T) Maybe one day...
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I am a huge dork for anything Japanese. My manga collection is ever-growing. I just got the first volume of Hands Off! series today. I read it several years ago and fell in love but never got around to buying it until now. Has anyone else read this one?

Comment

I've only ever read one manga before, and my knowledge of manga is poor, but I've started reading one, kind of. One of my Japanese friends recently braught me back the cutest book from Japan. It's aimed at school children from grades 2 to 4 and teaches kanji through short 2 or 3 page manga strips. I'm picking up loads of cool vocabulary and expressions, as well as revising the kanji I know so far.

Anyway, the manga it teaches through is called 'Chibi Marukochan'. I'd never heard of it, although the drawings are VERY familiar and I found them in one of my Japanese kids' magazines, but from the way my Japanese friends spoke about it, it seems it is quite an important manga/anime in Japan. One friend compared it to The Simpsons in the West; family animation with humour for all ages that has been around for over 20 years. After reading a few chapters, curiousity got the better of me and I decided to look into it.

Does anyone else like this manga/anime? I'm finding myself fascinated. It's so different to the anime shows my partner watches, and he watches some weird shiz (Gintama, anyone?). I especially love how the live action characters look exactly like their drawings:

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
          X