Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to get my bf for Christmas? Advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to get my bf for Christmas? Advice!

Help! I have no idea...he doesn't collect records, cds, or dvds...he listens to everything digitally and is (unfortunately) an illegal downloader, so he's got a ton of content and doesn't use platforms like iTunes. He doesn't play computer or console games. He's very picky about what he reads. I know he'd like an ereader, but I can't afford that one...I just don't know what to get him. We've also only been together just under 3 months...enough to warrant getting him something, but not enough to spend over 100 Euros (and I'm pretty sure he'd be uncomfortable with that).

Re: What to get my bf for Christmas? Advice!

Do they provide gift cards at any eatery he likes?
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

It's a hard one. I'm getting JP weird things. I saw a lovely pocket watch because he loves all things Dickensian. His umbrella broke in the wind, so I got him a nice gentleman's windproof umbrella! He likes videogames, so I'm getting him one that just came out (something with different characters from popular games, dunno). Erm.. oh I think I'll get him a Ross noble DVD. Don't know if any of that would be appropriate for your man though.

Alternatively in my MBS magazines, there's a section on gift ideas based on zodiac signs, I've had some good inspiration in the past from that. Whether or not you believe in astrology doesn't change the fact it's a good brainstormer. So if you want to tell me his sign I could tell you what it says.. Just don't listen to Volcaniclastic about my ability to get back about things written in MBS... *whistles*
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Yeah I was talking to a friend on facebook, and after that conversation I'm thinking maybe Fellowship of the Rings (he's reading the Hobbit right now and likes it, and I know he's never read LOTR), a shirt, and some gift cards for the movies?

EDIT: I thought maybe all useful things as well, because he's also really against consumerism

Comment

Well, that's tough... u_u
          Does, he have a crazed fan obsession for something? I bought my sister a bunch of Doctor Who themed things for this year, since she's a Whovian like me. Gift cards are great, I use them for my "fall-back" gifts for people who are hard to buy for... like my mum.
          I would suggest cold hard cash in a greeting card... but I've tried that a few times and it wasn't well received. ;^_^
          My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Tools are always a good gift, if your friend does anything mechanical or carpentry oriented, or something like that.

A gift certificate to a bookstore is good for picky readers.

Don't get him socks. Men don't like getting socks.

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly a magazine subscription - either paper or on-line?
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              Just don't listen to Volcaniclastic about my ability to get back about things written in MBS... *whistles*
              Hey yeah, whatever happened to those...? :P

I've not got very many ideas, Danie. My guy was easy to buy for - I got him one of those automated red wine decanter things (and it's been hell trying to convince him that he doesn't need to buy himself one - just wait for Christmas damnit!) and a plaque on Etsy that says "F**king Whimsical" based on a joke between some friends of his. Oh, and marizpan.

Does he drink? Is there a particular liquor a discerning gentleman partakes in? Scotch, or some fancy beers, or something? If he doesn't like consummerism, why don't you make up a little book (I know you're crafty) of IOUs? Favours (read: "Favours"), or maybe make up an invitation card that tells him you're taking him out for a nice dinner, or something.

Mostly art.

Comment

Yeah I thought about booze, but he's not really a drinker. He'll have a couple of beers or wine socially, but I've never seen him have more than 2 drinks, and he's not big on winding down with a glass of something after work.
                The coupon book idea is a good one!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  Yeah I thought about booze, but he's not really a drinker. He'll have a couple of beers or wine socially, but I've never seen him have more than 2 drinks, and he's not big on winding down with a glass of something after work.
                  The coupon book idea is a good one!
                  You mean there are Germans who don't drink much? Next you'll be telling me there are teetotal Brits.

I've more or less got all JP's bigger gifts. We agreed on nothing too expensive, but lots of fun smaller things. Now I just need to get a few stocking filler type things and that's him done. Mind.. looking at the list of what I got him does make me realise what an unusual chap my partner is.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  Hey yeah, whatever happened to those...? :P
                  I don't know what you're talking about ^^

Seriously though, It takes a while because I need MBS AND my BOS open to be able to type it up. I am mostly online on my phone or the laptop, while at work, so don't have them with me. At home, I am either sleeping, or spending time with JP, catching up with friends, that kind of thing. My BOS has lists of characteristics of each chakra being too open or too closed, and I'm including those because it's interesting. All of this adds up to me only writing a few lines a week..
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

You mean there are Germans who don't drink much? Next you'll be telling me there are teetotal Brits.
                    I have a close friend from Liverpool who is a teetotaler

Comment

Yeah, they exist! My best friend, Julie, is German and live in Vienna doesn't drink and she's vegan! It's how we actually became friends, because we both don't do what is culturally expected of us. LOL. She mentioned to me how hard it is to be vegan in a world of schnitzel. ;^_^
                      My everyday wacky blog

Comment

What are his hobbies? Buy him something to do with those.

Comment

DanieMarie, I suggest you have a conversation with him first agreeing on how much you two are going to spend. It's awkward and embarrassing if one's idea of a great gift is a movie ticket and the others is a diamond necklace LOL
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                            DanieMarie, I suggest you have a conversation with him first agreeing on how much you two are going to spend. It's awkward and embarrassing if one's idea of a great gift is a movie ticket and the others is a diamond necklace LOL
                            ^^ This!!!

Because it has totally happened to me!!!
                            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I have the same problem with my husband, but since we're married I have a higher price point without it being awkward. So here's the list I gave to a coworker who also has the same problem...

-Food, either buy him something or make him something.
                              -A gift certificate for a massage.
                              -Socks! haha, just kidding.
                              -A blanket.
                              -Some kind of little personally significant momento (I once got my husband an engraved set of dog tags with our phrase, first movie, first song, and personal nicknames on them).

Just a few ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X