Oh jeez, another school shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh jeez, another school shooting

This time committed by a student's father, apparently. Not much is known yet, but there is live coverage here.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: Oh jeez, another school shooting

Between school shootings, mall shootings, and movie theater shootings, I'm starting to feel unsafe anywhere but home.

Oh yeah... a lot of people get shot at home...

Out here in Michigan a guy recently got arrested for shooting at random cars on the highway - he got away with it for about a week.

- - - Updated - - -

HOLY SHIT - 27 people dead, 18 of them kids. Shit.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The wrong people have guns in some parts of this country. And, more importantly, the right people don't.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Just saw this on TV,and the main problem with guns is to many stupid people have them,with no training on safety or understanding on responsibility of ownership. I do feel sometimes this is happening way to much lately.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I heard about this in school. A girl got a text from her sister who was watching the news in art and told us. I don't understand why someone would hold an elementary school hostage. We had a discussion in art about how it's more understandable that someone would shoot up a high school or university but it baffles us why a grade school would be. I've always thought this country needed stricter gun laws (I mean it is not hard to get one) and this really supports it. This many school shootings should really point to there being an issue somewhere and I hope that something it done soon.
          Circe

Comment

The Province, BC's newspaper, posted a picture on instagram about this. They posted a pic of a google search for "Canadian mass shootings" and then "American mass shootings" and posted the Google pingback results. America, obviously being much higher than Canada, which was the point of the image.

But I found it in incredibly poor taste.

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm going to rant a bit here. I've been watching the news. It's tragic. All those poor little children. Suddenly my fb and EVERYWHERE else in the internet world is flooded with two types of people.

The atheist/theist asshole.
              The gun rights/no guns asshole.

I'm sick of people taking this time out to open their mouths and give their two cents on their belief system on both god and guns.

Marilyn Manson was so right.

Marilyn Manson 2016!
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm sort of getting tired of tragedy = political talking point for/against guns.

I would like to see an expanded school resource officer program. It may not stop this type of idiocy but it might limit casualties if every school has an armed sro that has access to security feeds and the ability to respond to a shooting by engaging the shooter. As is, if the sro isn't in the building then you've got a largely unarmed, untrained supply of targets trying to evac or hide and the incoming police are

1) incoming instead of onsite
                2) may or may not have direct access to school security feeds which means they aren't guaranteed a clear picture of what's happening.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to turn SROs into an armed response unit inside their schools but I'd like to see it considered and it's not the political firestorm gun control is.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Yeah fb has blown up with the religious/gun control crazies coming out of the woodwork. And then some smarmy hipsters with the whole 'the world hasn't changed. The world is an evil place'. You know what? Right now there are parents who have lost their children. The rest of the world can stfu.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

You know, I like the idea of self defense - the conceal & carry licenses in various states have stopped many a crime in progress.

Here's the thing - when we make saving up for a firearm cheaper than mental healthcare coverage, and allow people to simply be priced out of the services they desperately need... I'm sorry, this shit is just gonna happen. You let someone be turned away from therapy for domestic violence over the cost, and guess what? They're likely gonna be one violent bastard.

That's the breaks. You don't like it? Tough titties. Until you're willing to make this kind of care free, people are still going to be walking around in need without access.

Go ahead, blame videogames. Blame music. Blame free speech. Blame this, that, and the other, in such a way where you don't have to put your money where your mouth is. Go on, until your heart is content. Just know that your kids an neighbors won't stop killing each other until you're freaking willing to help them with actual money, time and effort.

If the kid didn't have guns, he'd have chemistry books and pipe bombs. In China, there was a similar incident with a guy stabbing people today. So, should we ban steak knives too?
                    "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                    http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                    "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                    http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                    "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                    http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

This kind of incident is horrifying. There is nothing else to say. That anyone would feel the need to kill elementry school children blows my mind, I simply cannot concieve it...

My deepest sympathies are all I have to offer to these people, and it is almost wrong for me to do so, my sympathy will never be enough to replace the lost children, the innocent lives that were destroyed by this deplorable tragedy.

As for people calling to change gun laws and this and that and other crap... F*** the Hell Off!

Let mothers and fathers and families and classmates have a moment to grieve, let the dead be burried. Do not dare try and use the victims for a political bullshit storm!
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I don't think people necessarily try to use a tragedy to justify their political views. While there are some assholes out there who would do so, I think in most people it's just a knee-jerk reaction. There's no denying that an incident like this serves as a harsh reminder of laws and the failings of the human psyche. Maybe it's even true that for some people it's easier to engage in political jargon than to face the reality of the situation.

But yes, now isn't the time for arguing. A terrible thing happened and the people closest to the situation need lots of compassion and time to grieve.
                        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                          Yeah fb has blown up with the religious/gun control crazies coming out of the woodwork. And then some smarmy hipsters with the whole 'the world hasn't changed. The world is an evil place'. You know what? Right now there are parents who have lost their children. The rest of the world can stfu.

This! SO much, this!!

I can't stand the fact that tragedy is so easily and quickly turned into an excuse for personal crusades. For fuck's sake, the dead aren't even in the ground yet and people are dismissing them in favor of some horseshit personal agenda! It's always the wrong mouths that get forever silenced. The mouths of babes!

The grief-stricken are quite likely still in shock. Some haven't even begun to grieve yet. My heart goes out to all that lost a loved one! And to all those traumatized by such an atrocity.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

And it was the young ones.

It's hard to imagine anything worse than a mass shooting, but that it was kids makes it feel somehow worse for me.

From what I've heard so far, there were some adult heroes. One was a janitor.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Like what Medusa said.
                              I absolutely can't stand the idiots posting all over Facebook.
                              "It was gods plan" "take guns away" etc. etc.

What annoys me even more, is normally these people wouldn't be nearly as adamant about gun control or anything like that.
                              But NO, since a tragedy happened, everyone suddenly knows what's best about everything.

THey all need to just sit down and shut up. It's disrespectful to the people who lost someone and to the ones who were lost.
                              It's like yelling and arguing at a funeral, you just DON'T do it. Ever..
                              "The fire could not be tamed with the wind,
                              nor the wind suppressed by the flames.
                              As blending the Light with the Dark
                              merely results in Grey." -Ville Friman

Comment

Working...
                              X