Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

The Evolution Thread

...because we don't have one yet, and its bound to happen anyway...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

Re: The Evolution Thread

Isn't it evolution as in mokey is to people,dinosaur is to bird?
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Oct 2010

its bacteria to cell to fish to amphibian to lizards/birds to mammals.

and ape to neanderthal to human progression too...
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

So are we supposed to discuss why or why not evolution exsists? Or something like that...
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Oct 2010

I believe in adaptation over time. and natural selection (until smart people started caring about stupid people)

at work sometimes when people cant operate an ice/water machine... i kinda hope they dehydrate and die... but thats mean.
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase

Darwin theorized natural selection was the driveing force behind evolution, that the progressive adaptation of a species created a new species. Sounds good enough for me.

Oct 2010

*ahem* On topic...

I found this interesting. As I've heard in the past, the US is the hotbed for the evolution debate. Here's a good graph to represent that:

And the article says the acceptance of evolution has dropped 5% in the last 20 years despite an increase in education level in the US.
    The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase

That is weird an increase in church attendance maybe?

Oct 2010

Excerpt from Wikipedia on Evolution:
    Two main processes cause variants to become more common or rarer in a population. One is natural selection, through which traits that aid survival and reproduction become more common, while traits that hinder survival and reproduction become rarer. Natural selection occurs because only a small proportion of individuals in each generation will survive and reproduce, since resources are limited and organisms produce many more offspring than their environment can support. Over many generations, heritable variation in traits is filtered by natural selection and the beneficial changes are successively retained through differential survival and reproduction. This iterative process adjusts traits so they become better suited to an organism's environment: these adjustments are called adaptations.
    Natural selection is a part of the theory of evolution. Sorry I didn't know subtopics were off topic from broad topics. I was trying to figure out how we were getting off topic. The topic was started left WIDE OPEN, hell it started off-topic. If we were given an aspect of evolution we were supposed to discuss then maybe we could discuss it, we went with natural selection, it went slightly off topic but still within the topic.

Please, give us something to discuss, or we will end up with our random spouts on different aspects. Sorry if this upsets you.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

[quote author=Madness link=topic=635.msg9378#msg9378 date=1288735872]
    And the article says the acceptance of evolution has dropped 5% in the last 20 years despite an increase in education level in the US.
    [/quote]

Did it suggest any possible explanations for it? That kind of thing is troubling.

And, just out of curiosity (because I have to ask - It's SCIENCE! ), did it make any statements as to how the question was asked, and to what group? For example, if it were a phone survey given to people who subscribe to National Enquirer I'm not going to worry about it nearly as much as I will if it was in a written survey given to people as they graduate from state universities...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.