Thread: The Evolution Thread

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: The Evolution Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    About 30% of Neanderthal genome is still alive and well in the human population today.
    The exact amount depends on the study in question, but either way, it only accounts for something like 1.5-2.1 % of human DNA for persons with European or Asian heritage (including persons native to the Americas). As we get better Neanderthal genome sequences and as we sequence more individuals, the amount of Neanderthal genes in modern humans will get more precise.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    About 30% of Neanderthal genome is still alive and well in the human population today.
    You can find 100% of that during Spring Break.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Now THAT is so true!

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Seeking a shamanic ancestor veneration path.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    That's unfair, Neanderthals were highly intelligent, with a developed culture and were very creative.

Also I was under the impression we had less than 5% Neanderthal DNA. If someone has recent info I'd like to see it.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Briton View Post
    That's unfair, Neanderthals were highly intelligent, with a developed culture and were very creative.

Also I was under the impression we had less than 5% Neanderthal DNA. If someone has recent info I'd like to see it.

Individuals that carry Neanderthal DNA have, generally speaking, about 1.5-2% in their genome---I'll have to look for the article another time, I'm headed to be now... But the thing to remember is that it isn't the same part of the Neanderthal genome that got passed down.
    When they get down to comparing the small pieces of Neanderthal DNA that are present in the genomes of modern humans, they find that about 20% of the Neanderthal genome (exact numbers depend on the study and methodology) can be found in our DNA.

Think of it as a sorting game--Half your DNA comes from your mom, and half from your dad. And half your Dad's DNA comes from his mom and dad...BUT that doesn't mean you actually have 1/4 the DNA from your dad's dad or dad's mom. During meiosis (which occurs for the formation of sperm and eggs cells), there is an event called "crossing over", where chromosomes shuffle themselves up. This might be a little bit technical, but this probably explains it better than I can with just words:

Shorter version:

Essentially though, over time, different parts of your dad's dad (or mom) DNA would end up in your generation unevenly distributed amongst siblings and cousins. If you carry that further even more generations, though stochastic events (random occurances) some of that SNA would be "lost" (death, failure to reproduce, being shuffled out during crossing over, not being "the winner" egg or sperm, etc---this is where genetic diversity within our species truly comes from).
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Show off...I love your high tech mind Thal
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I saw this video today and thought it was neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFxu7NEoKC8

Jul 2016
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

I'm reading Drawing Down the Moon and came across this quote from Paul Radin: No progress will ever be achieved, however, until scholars rid themselves, once and for all, of the curious notion that everything possesses an evolutionary history."

I was surprised to find such a quote in this book. I guess I assumed that most Pagans were more accepting of the idea of evolution. I, for one, do not see evolution and religion as being mutually exclusive. In fact, it's one of the reasons I was drawn to Paganism in the first place. I believe in science. And I believe in spirituality. And it's extremely important to me that my spiritual path is inclusive of the idea of evolution. I could never be a part of a religion that chooses to ignore hard evidence.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Nayru View Post
    I'm reading Drawing Down the Moon and came across this quote from Paul Radin: No progress will ever be achieved, however, until scholars rid themselves, once and for all, of the curious notion that everything possesses an evolutionary history."

I was surprised to find such a quote in this book. I guess I assumed that most Pagans were more accepting of the idea of evolution. I, for one, do not see evolution and religion as being mutually exclusive. In fact, it's one of the reasons I was drawn to Paganism in the first place. I believe in science. And I believe in spirituality. And it's extremely important to me that my spiritual path is inclusive of the idea of evolution. I could never be a part of a religion that chooses to ignore hard evidence.
    Pagans that don't acknowledge evolution are (sadly, IMO) not as uncommon as one might hope.

Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly. The evidence for evolution at this point is overwhelming and unarguable to actual scientists (and less scientists than many folks think are unable to reconcile their religion and/or spirituality with science...though they end to have less dogmatic and traditional views), though the finer points of mechanisms of evolution are very much still an area of study.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee