Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What assumptions did you have when you read usernames of other members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What assumptions did you have when you read usernames of other members?

That is, before you got to know them. Did you assume anything about their character, gender, age and so on?
    [4:82]

Re: What assumptions did you have when you read usernames of other members?

Anyone with a name involving any combination of 'wolf', 'raven', 'fox', 'star', 'moon', 'dark', 'black', 'silver', 'nightshade', 'thorn', 'blade', 'sword', 'death', 'night', 'vampire' or 'blood' is most like a Special Dark Snowflake. If they've got the Latin equivalents, they're trying to fool people into thinking they aren't Special Dark Snowflakes.

Anyone with a name involving 'white', 'light', 'bright', 'day', 'peace', 'bless', 'gentle', 'heal' - are 'white' witches, Christo-Pagans/Wiccans...

Anyone with a name involving any combination of 'deer', 'feather', 'wind', 'bear', 'running', 'eagle', 'free', 'water', 'clear', 'river' - is a hippy. Or suffering from Post Hippy Dramatic Syndrome.

Anyone with a name involving 'kitsune', 'kami', or 'shini' is a furry or has gotten all of their Pagan learning from anime.

Anyone with a name involving 'chaos', 'kaos', 'kayos', 'Anansi', 'Coyote', or a lot of k, y, z, q, ae, etc. are probably Chaos Magicians, Discordians, Erisians, or something along those lines.

Anyone who just has their own name, why are you not anonymous on the internet? Are you trying to fool people into thinking you have nothing to fear or hide? Or are you a spammer?

Anyone who has a God/deity/well-known spirit's name or some variant thereof, wtf were we thinking?
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
      Anyone with a name involving any combination of 'wolf', 'raven', 'fox', 'star', 'moon', 'dark', 'black', 'silver', 'nightshade', 'thorn', 'blade', 'sword', 'death', 'night', 'vampire' or 'blood' is most like a Special Dark Snowflake. If they've got the Latin equivalents, they're trying to fool people into thinking they aren't Special Dark Snowflakes.
      This. So much this. (sorry, Corvus)

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
        This. So much this. (sorry, Corvus)
        Not even going to argue this one because it's completely true. Within a few weeks of my registration for the forum several people called me a special dark snowflake. I hope by now I no longer fit in that category. Still I don't plan to have the name changed, I still like it
        Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
          Not even going to argue this one because it's completely true. Within a few weeks of my registration for the forum several people called me a special dark snowflake. I hope by now I no longer fit in that category. Still I don't plan to have the name changed, I still like it
          I honestly wasn't even thinking about you, Corvus. You're been one of the 'regulars' for awhile now.

Comment

Perzephone, your post just about covers it. lol
            "The fire could not be tamed with the wind,
            nor the wind suppressed by the flames.
            As blending the Light with the Dark
            merely results in Grey." -Ville Friman

Comment

*snip*
              Anyone with a name involving any combination of 'deer', 'feather', 'wind', 'bear', 'running', 'eagle', 'free', 'water', 'clear', 'river' - is a hippy. Or suffering from Post Hippy Dramatic Syndrome.
              does this make me a dark snowflake hippy? or just a snowflake :P
              It's better than a special pile of yellow snowflakes I suppose...

Anytime someone interchanges a number or letter for a series of letters, or to change the spelling to make their name available.... comes across as somewhat childish at first, it just seems like you're stretching too hard, it also means after your intro post you may make one more then we will never hear from you again... (in the silly extreme cases, not all)
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Now I'm wondering what people think when they see a username that came from some obscure literary work. I'm, um, asking for a friend. Yeah, that's it.
                my etsy store
                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                ill prepared, but willing,
                to descend."

Comment

I honestly wasn't even thinking about you, Corvus. You're been one of the 'regulars' for awhile now.
                  XD dosen't change the fact that you're spot on for when I made the name. Corvus hits two points on your thingy; it's latin and its about crows/ravens. I was (possibly still am) undoutbebly a special dark frosted flake.
                  The part about regulars made me realize I've been here for almost 3 years. Now when did that happen o-o
                  Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                    Now I'm wondering what people think when they see a username that came from some obscure literary work. I'm, um, asking for a friend. Yeah, that's it.
                    I think you, Volcaniclastic and Maria all have 'good forum names' - they're personal and reflect who you are without giving too much away.

Now that I've moved away from Hades & Persephone, I just kind of roll my eyes at my own choice, lol. But, I'm not changing it because I'm 'perzephone' all over the frikkin' internet. God names are just bad choices, magically and otherwise. It's a hard act to live up to. I've also been guilty of all my own stereotypes - I've been 'Coyotesong' and 'kitsune-bi' and 'Drumming Bear Woman' and I believe something involving nyx... ugh.

Comment

If the name is something that could believably be the person's real name then my general response is just a little short of "WTF are you thinking???"

Past that, I'll largely just second Perze for whenever I pay enough attention to give usernames a second thought.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Hmm, dunno if mine counts as my real name. It is derived from my real name and as there is only one other jembru that appears online, who I presume is me, at some drunken or younger time and I've just forgotten I already made an account, so I may as well have just used my name really.

Animal names: I think, 'animals can type?'
                        Character names: I think, 'this dude likes to read, play videogames, whatever'
                        Japanese names: I think, 'cool, someone who knows Japanese', although it's usually the anime thing, I am naturally optimistic.
                        Gloomy names: I think, 'goth'.

But really, I don't think I judge people by their screen names. It's too hard to form any kind of picture of them from a simple word.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post

But really, I don't think I judge people by their screen names. It's too hard to form any kind of picture of them from a simple word.
                          I'd say the same, especially when some people just make up random names at about a second and then use it as their screen name. You can't really judge people on those...

By the way, what did you think of me when you say mine?? Just... Out of curiosity...
                          ~ flowers are our only garments
                          only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Originally posted by Sarkana night View Post
                            By the way, what did you think of me when you say mine?? Just... Out of curiosity...
                            At first, I thought 'fish', then realised I'd misread! What does your name mean?
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Fish?? Well, why not? lol.

It doesn't mean anything actually... Sarkana is my artist name, and when I had to choose a screen name to PF I had no idea what else to name to take. Wierd enough Sarkana was already taken, so I added night to make it a bit longer.
                              ~ flowers are our only garments
                              only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Working...
                              X