Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any sabbats/festivals pertaining to nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any sabbats/festivals pertaining to nuts?

So, I found this recipe on the internet, and it's supposed to be a traditional greek recipe, from ancient Greece. Anyways, I really like it, and would like to incorporate it into one of the yearly festivals (I'm open minded about greek/roman events) or sabbats, but when I tried to find out which sabbat it would go best under, the interwebs failed me. I found sources saying Yule, Ostara, Lughnasadh, and Samhain. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything else?

The ancient recipe: Nut Cake

Mostly art.

Re: Are there any sabbats/festivals pertaining to nuts?

Comment

Thanks for the link, but that's not really what I was looking for.

Mostly art.

Comment

I don't have any tradition or real reasons for this, but i feel like this recipe would fit in well with Lammas or Yule.
        At least with my celebrations.
        Since this recipe celebrates nuts and honey it seems appropriate to use to celebrate the beginning of Harvest, or alternatively to celebrate the end of the year and the return of the light.. i can see it go either way!
        Thanks for the recipe I am going to try it out next gathering I go to.

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoSkye View Post
          I don't have any tradition or real reasons for this, but i feel like this recipe would fit in well with Lammas or Yule.
          At least with my celebrations.
          Since this recipe celebrates nuts and honey it seems appropriate to use to celebrate the beginning of Harvest, or alternatively to celebrate the end of the year and the return of the light.. i can see it go either way!
          Thanks for the recipe I am going to try it out next gathering I go to.
          Yeah, I was thinking either Ostara ("Nuts" - fertility sign) ...or Mabon/Lughnasadh for harvest time myself, but I wanted to see if there was anything else out there.

And you're welcome for the recipe!

Mostly art.

Comment

I did this whole Yuletime Herbal thing this year for Yule, on my blog...and if I had gotten around to doing a "part 3" (maybe I'll do that next year) I would have talked about nuts. They are a huge traditional food item for that time of year for a number of reasons.

Really...I would go with nuts as a Samhain-thru-Ostara thing, with Yule or Candlemas in particular. Here's my thinking...nuts are seeds, and seeds represent potential growth, potential being. Nuts should be a part of a feast celebrating the time of year that is about potential--in my WOTY, that is Yule and Candlemas.

...ostara, for me=sprouts
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              I did this whole Yuletime Herbal thing this year for Yule, on my blog...and if I had gotten around to doing a "part 3" (maybe I'll do that next year) I would have talked about nuts. They are a huge traditional food item for that time of year for a number of reasons.

Really...I would go with nuts as a Samhain-thru-Ostara thing, with Yule or Candlemas in particular. Here's my thinking...nuts are seeds, and seeds represent potential growth, potential being. Nuts should be a part of a feast celebrating the time of year that is about potential--in my WOTY, that is Yule and Candlemas.

...ostara, for me=sprouts
              Hmm. I could see it being good for Imbolc, except seeds are for planting, and WHO TELL ME WHO plants their garden in February :P I won't be able to see my lawn until April.

ostara = sexy fertility times = BALLS = nuts. lol.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                Hmm. I could see it being good for Imbolc, except seeds are for planting, and WHO TELL ME WHO plants their garden in February :P I won't be able to see my lawn until April.
                Nuts are already in the ground, overwintering...

And here in Virginia, its in the 60s!

...though, we did have frost this morning, and my car said it was 34 driving in to work, but by 3 this afternoon, it was 64.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I would say go with an autumn festival, as thats when nuts ripen, and that seems to make the most sense for when they would be eaten. I suppose conversely imbolg would not be a horrible idea as nuts are seeds and seeds represent new life (or potential for new life) and Imbolg is sort of a rebirthing type of festival.
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm leaning the most towards Lughnasadh, because of the honey (I associate honey with harvest time). Also, I don't really have much that I do at Lughnasadh, as I'm often away, so it'd be nice to have a little recipe for that.

Hmm.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                    X