Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids Training Course?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids Training Course?

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
    That I agree with, I just would not feel right trying to call myself a druid, I would feel like I was lying to myself. That said, I do keep coming back to the program and looking at it and sort of wanting to take the course. There are however 0 active groves in my area from any of the traditions really.
    I think that's an idea that may not be entirely fair or accurate in terms of history...I mean, language is slippery and it changes over time...use of a term is what really makes the term. The Druid Revival (and modern groups based upon it) may not be ancient Druidry, but I think that after 300 years, they have as much call to use the term as anyone (modern Pagans aren't ancient pagans either)...the AODA has a good answer to this in their FAQ's in #s 4-6

Originally posted by njsquarebear View Post
    This is probably not news to the Druids on this forum, but for anyone else, I did find these two other smaller Druid (I believe?) groups:

Henge of Keltria (keltria.org)
    Feri Tradition (feritradition.com)

Feri isn't really Druid. There are some overlaps...but there are also overlaps with a ton of ideas, religions and philosophies from what I can glean of Feri (I've been interested in undertaking Feri training for some time, but its expensive).

There is also the AODA as well...John Michael Greer is actually the head of it. Personally, they are my fave Druid group, and the cost of their training is pretty reasonable, IMO...and they have an outline of their expectations for free, online. Although, I will admit that part of the reason they are my fave is because they are the most locally and ecologically focused, and that isn't for everyone...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      There is also the AODA as well...John Michael Greer is actually the head of it. Personally, they are my fave Druid group, and the cost of their training is pretty reasonable, IMO...and they have an outline of their expectations for free, online. Although, I will admit that part of the reason they are my fave is because they are the most locally and ecologically focused, and that isn't for everyone...
      Thanks for mentioning the AODA which I did not know about... one of best things I like about the Pagan Forum is the sharing of resources (also the website's colors don't bother my 55 year old eyes!)
      peace,
      Brian (njsquarebear)

Comment

So I just wanted to let y'all know that after spending several days looking at all the different Druid groups (and reading through ALL the info. on their websites! LOL) that I decided to join the ADF, and start their "Dedicant's Path" training course (which is their version of 'Druid' 101 it appears). They claim to be the largest group in the US (worldwide?) and have several groves very local to where I live, which was important as I desire to have 'in-person' community. The other groups were just too localized for my needs at present.

The OBOD course STILL looks VERY interesting - I'm impressed with the sound clips they've provided on their website - and I look forward to doing it once I have the ADF program 'under my belt'. Once I get a minute this weekend and start the "Dedicant's Path" I will let you know my reaction to it here at PF.
        peace,
        Brian (njsquarebear)

Comment

Originally posted by njsquarebear View Post
          So I just wanted to let y'all know that after spending several days looking at all the different Druid groups (and reading through ALL the info. on their websites! LOL) that I decided to join the ADF, and start their "Dedicant's Path" training course (which is their version of 'Druid' 101 it appears). They claim to be the largest group in the US (worldwide?) and have several groves very local to where I live, which was important as I desire to have 'in-person' community. The other groups were just too localized for my needs at present.

OH! I forgot to mention...you might want to check out OBOD's Podacast, if you hadn't noticed it already! ...its free

There are a few other Druidry podcasts out there too...including this one. I've never listened to it, but one of the people involved is a blogger I follow.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Hey, I know this is kind of an old topic, but looking through it I don't think I saw a response from someone who has taken the Bardic course of OBOD. I started taking the course in Feb of last year, and I'm a little ways into the Ovate course now. I know I might be a little too late to pitch in my own opinions since the original poster has already made up his mind, but I thought it'd be interesting to throw my own 2 cents in.

For me, the Bardic course was a huge refreshment in finding what fit with me. In each packet you get 4 lesson booklets, which recommends you spend at least a week on each one, though you can go at your own pace. At first, it felt almost *too* easy, but as the lessons progressed, I found myself re-learning things, and indeed learning new things as well. I caught myself a few times surprising myself with realizing I'd just learned something I previously thought I knew how to do. One such example was with the four elements. I thought I'd been-there-done-that, but with the Bardic course I realized just how little I actually had done with the elements before. And the course focuses hugely on the tale of Ceridwen and Taliesin, which was/is my absolute favorite myth, so when I started the course I was pretty excited for that. But I was unprepared with just how involved the myth can be. It really blew my mind.

Now that I'm in the Ovate course, I can say that it can get pretty difficult in a good way. I find myself having to look at the way I practice and do things and re-evaluate them. It's really helpful, especially since it's not like "Sit down and read this book." It guides you through exercises and has great meditations and rituals, as well as recommended reading and activities.

Overall, it helped me progress my spiritual path, though it might not be for everyone.

Comment

The distance study coursework was developed by Phillip Carr-Gomm, a top notch scholar who has authored tons of excellent books on Druidry. I would think that studying with OBOD would give you an excellent background. I'm pretty certain that a Druid friend of mine took the courses and loved them - he is also a scholar and researcher of history. Whether or not Druidry is for you, is another question. You could talk with someone at OBOD and I'm sure they would answer your questions. But IMO, and I've been around Paganism for 20 years and have known many Druids in that time, OBOD is a topnotch group if you want to study Druidry.

Comment

To anyone that has paid for the course. How much is it in U.S Dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by IsisSekhemetRa View Post
                  To anyone that has paid for the course. How much is it in U.S Dollars?
                  I've not taken it, but I've looked at the program and done the math. The price is a bit prohibitive, I think, though maybe worth it for someone that wants a more structured program with actual lessons and meditations.

here are their prices in british pounds

Right now, the conversion rate is something like 1.67 US per 1 pound...so, if you get the audio and text, its something like $570. But, if you get the text only (cheaper than the audio only), its $360. Also, you can pay for it quarterly or monthly, breaking up the payment a bit.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have the mp3 of some meditations by Philip Carr-Gomm, and they are quite lovely. If he's the one that designed the course (I do know he's influential with the OBOD), I would recommend looking at some of the things he's done, including the books he's written, and see if you are interested in what he has to say.
                    A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

I have the mp3 of some meditations by Philip Carr-Gomm, and they are quite lovely. If he's the one that designed the course (I do know he's influential with the OBOD), I would recommend looking at some of the things he's done, including the books he's written, and see if you are interested in what he has to say.
                      He's their Chosen Chief, successor of founding member Ross Nichols by whom he was mentored.

If you are interested in learning Druidry, but aren't sure if you want to cough up, there are free online courses available for the first teir of learning. I'm currently doing a course through New Order of Druids. It's possible to skim over the material and assessments and just give token answers, but there is richness to the course that can teach you a lot about ethics and history as well as set you on a path of self-discovery if you take your time. Many of the long term members there have also done OBOD's course.

Another thing you could do is join OBODs message boards and see what kind of discussion takes place there, see if you can pick up a feel for the culture of the place and if you like it.

Comment

So how much would that be monthly, because I want to join next month.

Comment

...something like $32 monthly for just the text, $36 monthly for the audio, and $50 monthly for both...

What you really want to do is use a currency converter (google has one, you just put in "US to British currency converter" and then type in the amount in pounds), since the exchange rate changes fairly regularly.
                          sigpic

Comment

You know, I did the whole thing and it really confused me. Why they couldn't have it in American Dollars is beyond my understanding. Sigh, groan, and shake my head.

Comment

Originally posted by IsisSekhemetRa View Post
                              You know, I did the whole thing and it really confused me. Why they couldn't have it in American Dollars is beyond my understanding. Sigh, groan, and shake my head.
                              For a moment there I thought you were a new poster talking about the course itself.

And as for not providing currency in USD.. Because they're not based in the US, it would be really difficult for them to fix a USD price considering the value of the dollar fluctuates. Their pound is what remains consistent to them. Also, the 'US and the rest of the world' enrolment page covers other economies that don't use USD.

It's not that difficult. Just Google 'currency calculator' and find US Dollar and British Pound in the drop down menus. The one I used said you'd be paying just over $30 for the intro package.

Comment

I just purchased the introductory package. It was 18 euros, which is currently about 24 US dollars. I think that is pretty reasonable for what you get & I'm looking forward to seeing if it resonates. I'll update with what I think of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X