• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you could live anywhere in the world

Where would you choose? Why?

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Re: If you could live anywhere in the world

For the immediate future, where I'm at works well enough. After that, it'll depend most likely on career. I don't currently have a burning desire to be at any specific location. I build ties to people, sometimes to jobs, places are less important to me.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I've always felt a calling to live in Scotland. Although, I have never been to that part of the world (despite the fact that I lived in Germany for 12+ years at a time in my life), I should probably at least visit before making any life altering choices that include moving to a different continent (again). Otherwise... where I'm at works beautifully.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Somewhere in northern Europe. Either the British Isles or Scandinavia, ideally. Cold (I hate the heat here), high quality of life, proximity to urban/cultural centers, lots of history.

Comment

I would live in Scotland. I've always dreamed about owning a little house in the Scottish countryside. I come from mostly Scottish ancestors, with a sprinkling of German, English, Cherokee, and Black Foot.

Comment

Northern Michigan.

Because it calls to my blood, and my blood responds.

Besides, we have another snow day today.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well I think I would pick the west coast, because there is more of the specific geography that I desire there. I want a beach, with a cliff behind it, and I would build my home atop that cliff facing out to sea, I crave warmth, and ocean, honestly if I had that, the where in the world bit would not bother me so much.
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'm super picky about where I live. I can already live most of the places i'd want to live, because I'm dual Canadian-German and visas aren't a problem in those places. Though I'm broke, I do have a background and resources that would allow me to pick up and leave if I wanted to. I have a job that I can take anywhere as well. The only things tying me to here are my apartment (which I own) and my boyfriend, though those are big ones. I thought about leaving at the end of this year to move to London, but because of Hannes, I probably wont. I could always rent out my apartment, but this is the most serious relationship I've ever been in, and I want to stick around for that.

Anyway, I need an urban environment, and but there has to be some access to nature (nice parks at LEAST). I also want to stick to somewhere where I speak the language, because I already moved once to a place where I had to learn a new language, and it took years to get competent enough to actually apply for non-English jobs (and I still pretty much work with English). It has to have a good airport and/or train station, because travelling is important to me. Also, it has to be in a country with good social support and health care. An arts scene and an overall liberal attitude are also important. I've been through this before, and I'm pretty much left with Berlin, London, and Vancouver. I don't really want to live anywhere else. I'd maybe consider Toronto, but it's so freakin' cold!

Comment

Back home, in Slovenia. Which is what I'm working for. Just one more phase of my glorious plan and then after that, it's just a matter of time... muahahaha.

Click image for larger version

Name:	slovenia.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	351627

Need I say more? Mountains, sea, a strong culture, a sexy language, and the right priorities. Just a little government corruption going on, and even that's starting to get called out these days.

Comment

Either England or Ireland and it would have to be some place in the woods. They're just beautiful places and it's usually Chilly in England and I don't li.ke hot weather, it slows me down

Comment

Region wise, where I am...specific location, Sandbridge
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Scotland. It is where my family are from and it is the only place in the UK I have never lived. More specifically I would love to live in Findhorn or Hopeman.
                        http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Either Ireland, Norway, or Iceland, all of which for the following
                          - Awesome landscapes
                          - Dubest food in the world
                          - The coolest languages in the world, (I speak of Gaelic when I refer to Ireland)
                          - The best climates in the world (I hate the heat)
                          - The best cultures in the world as they were centers of druidism and Celtic and Nordic Paganism
                          People are meant to be loved,
                          And things are meant to be used.
                          The reason the world is chaos is because
                          People are being used and things are being loved.

Comment

Nearer to Seattle, possibly Aberdeen. (Even though it's a hellhole.)
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Middle Earth, of course!

Comment

Working...
                              X