Paths within Paganism looking down at each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paths within Paganism looking down at each other

How come Metal-heads are in there? I'm a Metalhead and although I pray-- Err listen to Judas Priest twenty times a day doesn't mean I worship The Elevated God of Metal Rob Halford.

I think I'd fit in the 'All other Satanists', but I don't hate Wiccans or Setians or LaVeyans...

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I have experienced this sort of condescension first hand from one of my friends and mentor...after shifting over to Heathenry and adopting the lifestyle and practices she has begun to visibly look down upon Wicca-based paths and practices. Basically her attitude is that Wicca is for n00bs. I was surprised at this shift in attitude from someone I perceived to be so mature and experienced in the pagan community, but I guess nobody is immune to needing feelings of superiority. The most discrimination I encounter from the pagan community is because of my appearance...people assume because I wear gothic/alternative clothing and a pentacle that I am simply being a pagan to "complete the look". I've had some (older) people sneer at me and assume that I am simply dabbling because I am trying to be more hardcore than my goth buddies. That really grinds my gears.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemisia View Post
        I have experienced this sort of condescension first hand from one of my friends and mentor...after shifting over to Heathenry and adopting the lifestyle and practices she has begun to visibly look down upon Wicca-based paths and practices. Basically her attitude is that Wicca is for n00bs. I was surprised at this shift in attitude from someone I perceived to be so mature and experienced in the pagan community, but I guess nobody is immune to needing feelings of superiority. The most discrimination I encounter from the pagan community is because of my appearance...people assume because I wear gothic/alternative clothing and a pentacle that I am simply being a pagan to "complete the look". I've had some (older) people sneer at me and assume that I am simply dabbling because I am trying to be more hardcore than my goth buddies. That really grinds my gears.
        I must say I have seen this attitude a lot myself. It's like, you can't be into a style just because you like it, while keeping your spirituality completely seperate. Bloody good for you for sticking to your convictions and being true to yourself despite what others think.

I have even been guilty, in recent years, of not dressing true to myself because of fear of being labelled by others who I look up to and want to be taken seriously by. Sad thing is, when I had no idea such lables existed, I never had anyone tease me or call me anything for how a dressed but now I know, I've had to tone down. It seems it's only me who has a problem with who I am. I wish I could just say, 'screw you all, this is how I like to dress, deal with it' and be myself. But I doubt I could now. I used to be so daring and wild.. multicoloured braids.. stickers all over my face... neon colours. Then I moved from cyber punk because I wanted to be completely unique, to a style I thought I'd made up that I called 'Euro pop'. My Euro pop look was mainly inspired by Lazy Town and cheesy European bands, but it was basically dressing in kids clothes and accessories and making no secret of the fact. It ended up a bit too close to the harajuku look for comfort. So I've ditched it, because I want to be friends with others who study Japanese and don't want them to think I'm a dumb anime fan with a vocabulary of 10 words. And they will, they'll judge me in the first 3 seconds of meeting me and I'll be written off before they even hear me speak

I just secretly wear kids clothes now.. in that, they're for kids, but look kinda like an adult could wear them. Although, they'll never take my knee socks and hair bows!

Oopse, sorry for the rant. Haha time to cheer myself up.. bing bang riga diga dong...
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I really never understood this trend of "I am more real than you" in pagan circles. I wear what I want or not wear depending on my mood. I really don't think there is a "LOOK" that defines my beliefs. What I believe is inside me and the outside look is really not important. But this is me,and I do know "Religion"(belief systems) have a tendency to try to prove that they are the "Only" "True" way to go. It is kinda like the kids in school who dress to be different,but then EVERYONE dresses the same to be different. Wearing jeans does not make you a rebel,listening to heavy metal does not make you anti-establishment. You are who you are. There is no single path,and it has been said that the road less traveled may be a better path that the crowded highway.

As always just my take,you may require different strokes to get to where you are going.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

They should have made the text bigger... even zoomed in and with lasik it's hard to see. :P

Comment

I preferred the variants of the inciting pic which displayed a more cyclical nature to the ensuing hubris. My favorite variation (which I can't find atm) had the folks on the bottom looking down upon those at the top, with very few dead ends, and no one "on top" of the heirarchy.
              "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
              http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
              "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
              http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
              "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
              http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by AzazelEblis View Post
                I preferred the variants of the inciting pic which displayed a more cyclical nature to the ensuing hubris. My favorite variation (which I can't find atm) had the folks on the bottom looking down upon those at the top, with very few dead ends, and no one "on top" of the heirarchy.
                You mean this one?

pagan-hierarchy.jpg

I think it's the same one.

ADD: Yep, it is.

That said, I love it. I love how it illustrates human tendencies for elitism and calls it to the attention of Pagans that we too aren't above this tendency.
                my etsy store
                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                ill prepared, but willing,
                to descend."

Comment

No, I don't think it was the same one. It might be an earlier version.

I find it hilarous that the Chaos Magicians are high on the chart! Most forums, I tell them I'm a Chaote, and I practically get askance looks, where people ask one another, "Is this guy insane, or just stupid?"

This alone tells me that they're not interested in making it completely, literally accurate.

Though the idea that "all other chaotes" looks down on the IOT is spot on, and completely hilarious. In the end, the most common grievance I've seen against the Illumati Of Thanatos is that, "they calcified their doctrine into dogma at the expense of experimentation". I've even seen this from other groups that have decided that the whole "post-modern" idea of Chaos Magic was getting outdated, and that it was time to consciously build our own paradigm. Yes, we need to build our own paradigm, but the IOT's paradigm is simply "calcified". Meanwhile, most of these people would cream themselves for an invite into the IOT.
                  "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock

Comment

Originally posted by AzazelEblis View Post
                    No, I don't think it was the same one. It might be an earlier version.

I find it hilarous that the Chaos Magicians are high on the chart! Most forums, I tell them I'm a Chaote, and I practically get askance looks, where people ask one another, "Is this guy insane, or just stupid?"
                    Heh, Chaotes have useful ideas to steal. Flexibility in what to use against a problem is a great thing to have. I don't think I could claim to be one with any more honesty than if I started calling myself Wiccan or Pagan (I claim neither) but they're fun to have around and steal methods from.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

This thread makes me think of this:

(Click it, then hold your mouse over the image on the original page)
                      "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post

It's missing a field. After Mathematicans, it should say "Geology: stealing your sciences since the 17th century"

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post

Its missing a field - philosophy has repeatedly tried to consume the discipline of Mathematics. When recasting the whole of mathematics as a specific application Pure Logic (a realm within Philosophy) a short, surprising, but persistent list of paradoxes arise.

You wanna be the pure of the pure? Get a degree in Philosophy. Along with all the self-righteous laughter you'll get at everyone else's expense, you'll cry at your inability to get a job that uses your degree.

Comment

Working...
                          X