Paths within Paganism looking down at each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paths within Paganism looking down at each other

I just randomly fell over this picture, and find it quite interesting actually.

So...what are your thoughts of this?
    ~ flowers are our only garments
    only songs make our pain subside ~

Re: Paths within Paganism looking down at each other

...I'm not on the list!

My feelings are hurt.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Easier just to say that all factions look down on almost all other factions. Conveys the same general principle as that chart with less of headache. The chart is an over generalization but I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that a lot of pagan sects dislike each other. My problem with the chart is that

1) it's an overly complex way of making a simple point

2) it's not funny enough to be worth the effort of the extra complexity

3) I highly doubt that reality has so many sects that aren't looked down upon and many of these arrows should be doublesided
      Last edited by MaskedOne; 29 Jan 2013, 13:48.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I agree with MaskedOne on this. It isn't so neat and tidy as the chart. Pagans don't discriminate: They all pretty much hate each other equally. The chart also misses out the fact that a good majority of pagans are pretty self-loathing too. Even those who appear to have inflated egos, are usually just making up for the fact that they cry themselves to sleep most nights. The problem with pagans is that they're human beings and humans are pretty vile at the best of times. Sorry, this just got me in the mood for overgeneralizing.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Jembru beat me to it.

It's human nature...people don't like each other. The ones most similar to us? Those are the worst.

We fight it, but it creeps in around the edges. Better that it show up in playful one-upping then actual venom...but you can find both in just about any type of group.
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Jembru's and Dez' were wise words, one's I couldn't have phrased better.

Comment

Wow, I hadn't said it as such, but I really agree with Dez, that the traits we hate the most in others, are those we dislike or even deny in ourselves. I don't like know-it-all book-witches. Or I roll my eyes at them anyway. And I know, fine well, that my dis-ease with these people is that I was EXACTLY like that not 5 years ago!
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Well, looking into the proverbial mirror is rarely a pleasant experience- it isn't meant to be.

You've heard of the saying "to understand someone else, you must first understand other people"? There's a truth in it- if you are conscious of your own faults and vices, and know how to deal with them (and if you have managed that, then well done), seeing them in another person makes them so much easier to relate too.

Comment

Agreed! I'm really into the idea of subpersonalities and I have identified 8, which each balance the other. I then have what I call my 'shadow subs', which comes from (I think), the Jungian idea that we all have this darker, shadow part of ourselves. I don't work with this concept nearly as much as I did a few years ago, it's not easy to see my flaws, especially as I am so unkind to myself anyway, but it does make me a bit more tolerant of others. Although my behaviours and personality are quite wide spectrum, so there are times when I am much more tolerant and humble, and times when I get far too big for my boots. It's in those times that I am most likely to clash if I meet someonne with a similar personality flaw. I like to think, if nothing else, I act as a mirror in those times, and let people see how bad it looks from the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    ...I'm not on the list!

My feelings are hurt.
                    UU pagans have a space. But the tradition name you use is fairly new... I think... Maybe if they remade the chart...

Would not an easier chart be? All of them<------>All of them
                    I'm just saying is all.
                    Last edited by Maria de Luna; 30 Jan 2013, 02:42.
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                      Would not an easier chart be? All of them<------>All of them
                      I'm just saying is all.
                      Much easier, and it would fit on a fridge magnet! Perfect!

Comment

I'm just relieved that I'm not on the bottom tier, and as a Drunk and Universalist Harnerian Shaman, I'm equally loathed and able to loathe.

Mostly though, I'm a Rabelaisian Bon Vivant - I point and laugh at everyone, including myself.
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I don't see "Lovecraftian" on there :x

Comment

Originally posted by egregor View Post
                            I don't see "Lovecraftian" on there :x
                            Thats cause everyone loves Lovecraftians! They are just fun people... who might eat you if you make fun of them...
                            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

The family pet loves lovecraftians. They're his favorite meal.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X