X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Things that make you smile

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    I went shooting today with my best friend and we shot seven different guns altogether. I actually made my arm numb by shooting slugs with his 12 gauge though.

Also, having ThorsSon back on the Forum makes me smile.
    I bought 100 rounds of 8mm Mauser ammunition today.
    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

The ONLY thing that makes me smile, in that entire exchange, is that someone finds interest in my poking holes in others' facts.

I'm done with it. It's like arguing with cheese. Or, more accurately, curdled milk.

However! Here's a little something that makes me smile, though not really in a good way.

A constitution defines the make up of some structure. Our Constitution spells out how our government will work, and what it can and can't do. Before it was ratified, there were some problems with it. Certain states felt it was too amenable to the development of tyranny, in governing. So, then, a dozen or more caveats were presented to make sure government didn't "get too big for its britches", so to speak. The states could only agree on 10 of those caveats, before ratifying the country's new operating manual. Subsequently, those additions became known as The Bill of Rights, the first ten amendments to the Constitution.

How it goes from laying down what the government can and can't do to what citizens can do is confusing. "Congress shall make no law..." isn't telling people what right(s) they possess. It's telling government how to behave and what their limits are.

Is it antiquated? Yup. But it still works, so there's no need to discard the restraints that WE'VE PUT on our government. In fact, it seems that we need MORE shackles and chains, in that regard.

So, I smile at the pettiness of politicians and activists. There's more to the universe than just one little country's internal bickering about, what amounts to, a pretend (if not pretentious) conflict.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

There are two things that make me smile every time: Old couples still in love and people playing and caring about their pets.
        "I was born from a Spark and Fire I became"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
          I bought 100 rounds of 8mm Mauser ammunition today.
          Did you ever get a chance to shoot the Turkish military surplus that was floating around 5-6 years ago? That made me smile...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've never used Facebook, so I don't have a baseline to compare to... but I agree.
            I have a Facebook account, but it's a rare sight to see me using it.....
            ~ flowers are our only garments
            only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Did you ever get a chance to shoot the Turkish military surplus that was floating around 5-6 years ago? That made me smile...
              I did, and I still have about 200 rounds of it left. I have a source that sells it to me for $25 for packages of 50 rounds, in stripper clips... that REALLY makes me smile.

Comment

I did, and I still have about 200 rounds of it left. I have a source that sells it to me for $25 for packages of 50 rounds, in stripper clips... that REALLY makes me smile.
                In the hey-day, I was getting 50 rounds, in clips, packed in bandoleirs, for $7 each. Alas! those days are gone.

I do have some nice Greek stuff from 1938...
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  In the hey-day, I was getting 50 rounds, in clips, packed in bandoleirs, for $7 each. Alas! those days are gone.

I do have some nice Greek stuff from 1938...
                  yeah. Those days have come and gone... sadly. I miss them sorely.

Comment

Also, the 100 rnds of ammo that I mentioned buying previously, was not surplus, but premium ammo... however, while I miss the days of getting 50 rnds in stripper clips and bandoliers for $7-10, I have to say, that today, with stripper clips selling for $4-6 each (for original 1 piece WWII stripper clips), buying 10 strippers full of ammo for $25 is like getting a discount on strippers with ammo thrown in for free.

Have you looked at stripper clip prices lately?!?!

(oh, I guess I should add that I'm stocking up on strippers... free ammo is just a bonus)

Comment

(oh, I guess I should add that I'm stocking up on strippers... free ammo is just a bonus)
                      I probably should stop reading posts from the last paragraph up. I totally misinterpreted what you said there until I read the full post. XD

Made me smile, though.
                      “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                      Sneak Attack
                      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
                        I probably should stop reading posts from the last paragraph up. I totally misinterpreted what you said there until I read the full post. XD

Made me smile, though.
                        Hmmm... I could go for a few of those, too

Comment

discount gf pizza crust, and bread. And muffins!

I'M GOING TO EAT YOU ALL!
                          “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

heh heh heh, yeah people are crazy...
                            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

After 25 years of being off the map, knowing that when your blood relatives begin the cycle of self-destruction and the destruction of others, you still have extended relatives come out of the woodwork willing to listen and offer their advice and support.

Comment

275638_699067642_1970119406_q.jpg

This pic makes me smile. My friend Zombie-fied me and I love it

Edit- Tried to save it from facebook and it didn't work so well! It's really small.
                                Last edited by shadow1982; 12 Feb 2013, 09:55. Reason: Add
                                http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X