Candle Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wax Disposal/Recycling?

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I found a ritual where you basically carve your worries into a candle and let it burn all the way and bury the leftover wax. Candle wax doesn't seem like something you should be putting into the ground....

One suggestion I have is to learn how to make candles. Especially if you use them a lot. It will save you money in the long run and anything you make is going to be much more powerful and in sync with your energy than anything you buy in a store. It's not that hard either. And when one candle is finished, save the wax and use it to make other candles.

Comment

Is candle wax even particularly biodegradable?

Comment

I just checked...

According to the National Candle Association (I didn't even know such a thing existed), beeswax, paraffin, and vegetable-based candles are, in fact, biodegradable.

Still...there are a lot of chemicals that go into candle-making besides wax. I'm still not comfortable burying candles in the ground.

Comment

I didn't know there was such a thing either... o.0

Comment

Soy and beeswax candles are completely safe to put in the ground. Paraffin, I would be hesitant about.

If the candle is, say, a votive in a glass votive cup, you can simply wait for the wax to melt completely on the surface before blowing out the flame. That way, it has an even burn each time. If you have glossy ceramic plates, you can make art using hot wax. Use the drippings to create a picture! I have plenty of these for each element, different deities, ect that I use as decorations throughout my home.

Again, wax can be melted down easily and made into new candles. You don't need a bunch of fancy equipment, either. Just wax, something to act as wicks... If they're dipped candles, you need a tin can and a pot to melt the wax in double-boiler styled, a tall glass vase for the cold water, and a tall tin can to hold the hot wax as you dip the wick in. If you're making votives/pillars, you can pick up some paper cups or molds and use those.

Comment

I use the melty bits, put them in a coffee can, and then make new candles. We make vespas, and little tea lite sized "spell candles" in shells, and bigger pillar candles for the house.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Id suggest maybe turning the wax into something if you get enough of it, pick a nice mold for it and maybe make small wax statues? perhaps with a rune in it to represent something and use a natural varnish of some kind to make it temperature resistant?

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  Keep all the little bits in a tin can, and when the can is full, melt it down and make new candles!
                  All right, well there was a shortage of tin at my house, so I am saving them all in a bag (a vision of class, I know) to do this! I remember you telling me over PM to make sure that I don't get any synthetic wicks/materials, but for posterity, would you mind repeating that here? What materials do you use for your wicks?

...According to the National Candle Association (I didn't even know such a thing existed), beeswax, paraffin, and vegetable-based candles are, in fact, biodegradable.

Still...there are a lot of chemicals that go into candle-making besides wax. I'm still not comfortable burying candles in the ground.
                  I understand your concern. I also didn't know that any type of wax was biodegradable, so that makes me even more interested in buying candles that are harmonious with the earth. Sheesh! But at that rate, I can reuse and reuse and reuse, what with all this good advice on here.

Also, I think that if you're careful about where and WHY you bury something, choosing to bury a small little token of wax to seal a spell isn't going to upset the Mother/God/Whatever. But that's just me.

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
                  Soy and beeswax candles are completely safe to put in the ground. Paraffin, I would be hesitant about.

If the candle is, say, a votive in a glass votive cup, you can simply wait for the wax to melt completely on the surface before blowing out the flame. That way, it has an even burn each time. If you have glossy ceramic plates, you can make art using hot wax. Use the drippings to create a picture! I have plenty of these for each element, different deities, ect that I use as decorations throughout my home.

Again, wax can be melted down easily and made into new candles. You don't need a bunch of fancy equipment, either. Just wax, something to act as wicks... If they're dipped candles, you need a tin can and a pot to melt the wax in double-boiler styled, a tall glass vase for the cold water, and a tall tin can to hold the hot wax as you dip the wick in. If you're making votives/pillars, you can pick up some paper cups or molds and use those.
                  This is super friggin helpful, thank you! I'm going to do exactly that, maybe a bit of each.

Often times, I do try to let all the candle wax burn away at the bottom of my plate, but this tends to take a while and at a certain point I feel as if the integrity of the intent that I burnt the candle for anyway has turned into a stale ghost of itself when it's mixing with all the other lingering waxes, etc.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  I use the melty bits, put them in a coffee can, and then make new candles. We make vespas, and little tea lite sized "spell candles" in shells, and bigger pillar candles for the house.
                  THAT IS AWESOME :O

If I understand correctly: the vespas are used to light other candles, acting like those wee sticks that I can find around here? I see that you've hung them to dry right there in your kitchen, and that I should use the "double-boil" method that both you and WT mentioned (like melting chocolate). What materials do you use for your wicks? Any particular fabric that you find works the best?

Also, I love the idea of using the shells for candle spells. I have so many and now I can re-purpose them! Thanks, Thal

Originally posted by StormBringer View Post
                  Id suggest maybe turning the wax into something if you get enough of it, pick a nice mold for it and maybe make small wax statues? perhaps with a rune in it to represent something and use a natural varnish of some kind to make it temperature resistant?
                  Oooh, a specific mold? I could definitely find a shape that would suit my path the best... thanks!
                  No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                    All right, well there was a shortage of tin at my house, so I am saving them all in a bag (a vision of class, I know) to do this! I remember you telling me over PM to make sure that I don't get any synthetic wicks/materials, but for posterity, would you mind repeating that here? What materials do you use for your wicks?
                    You don't use synthetics (not for any environmental reason) but simply because synthetics melt. It doesn't work as a wick. I use proper candle wick when I make my candles, that I bought as a huge spool a few years ago. It was pricey, but it's lasted me ages. What I've also used though is hemp rope. Any kind of cotton twine would work too, though it might burn a bit sooty.

Also, a quick google search led to this: http://www.redtedart.com/2012/02/03/...a-candle-wick/

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                      THAT IS AWESOME :O

If I understand correctly: the vespas are used to light other candles, acting like those wee sticks that I can find around here? I see that you've hung them to dry right there in your kitchen, and that I should use the "double-boil" method that both you and WT mentioned (like melting chocolate). What materials do you use for your wicks? Any particular fabric that you find works the best?

Also, I love the idea of using the shells for candle spells. I have so many and now I can re-purpose them! Thanks, Thal
                      *hugs*
                      very welcome!!

I honestly just use kitchen string--you know, the string they sell in the kitchen area, by cheesecloth? Pretty sure its cotton... But...Michaels and other places have actual candle wicking. And, yup, they can be used for lighting other candles, also they make pretty good birthday candles, and they work for little spell candles. I use the double boiler method--I have a real double boiler that I use for making salves and such, but for candles, I just use a coffee pot in an old beat up saucepan from the thrift store (candle making can be messy).

I've also stored candle bits in fishbowls and jars, and them nuked them melty in the microwave. You just have to be careful and make sure that you let it cool in there as well, without disturbing it (hot wax is ouchy hot).
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Making Candles!

I'm really excited about this for some reason, as I've never thought much upon this topic before. But lately I've been using candles a lot more, mainly for mundane reasons, such as making the room look and smell nice, as well as for the extra heat it gives off. Anyway, I have all these stubs and bits and wax wafers lying around and figured "Hey, why not try to make them into a real candle again?". So, I've been doing that, and been having tons of fun at it.

It's even given me a few great ideas. One of which is that I want to make a set of clay runes and use them as anchors for the wicks, and then get scented and colored wax to match each rune. Voila! Futhark candles for rune working or just meditating on the rune in question! I'd be able to light candles for the corresponding runes when creating rune charms and such, adding the smoke from them to help with the sending.

And, I think it could turn out to make fun holiday gifts. I don't have much money to get people things, but making pretty, very personal candles might be inexpensive and have more meaning since they're hand made. I have an old mug with my grandfather's family crest on it that I may turn into a candle for my mom (it's her dad's crest).

How about you guys? Make any candles or have any ideas for making them?

Comment

Re: Making Candles!

I reopened some previous threads and merged them, because they have some good info and ideas...

and yes, we love to make candles!
                          sigpic

Comment

Re: Candle Making

Though I am not sure how exactly it was done,there used to be Castles(Kinda intricate too) at the flea markets done by then Hippies(in the 70's),some were large enough to cover a small table.
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Okay, since this is something that I'm suddenly really having great fun with ...

I did an experiment today after realizing that the 12oz soft drink cans would make a great size for a candle. So I took a manual can opener and ran it along the top of the can to give a good sized opening, then used that to pour my wax into. I just used a pair of wire cutters to snip the folded rim on the can and peeled the rest of the aluminum away after it hardened. And I gotta say, it's a great size and shape!

Comment

That's a great idea!

Comment

Working...
                                X