What do you advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you advise?

Pretty much everybody who has lived ten or more years has at least one piece of good advice learned through hard experience.

I thought that we could use this thread to inflict that advice on each other. That way we won't be pestering strangers in the street with it while we're drunk.

So.... what good advice would you like to share? Advise away!

(please try not to ramble on for twenty pages, and try not to begin with "You young kids today don't know nothin'...")
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: What do you advise?

Every person I meet has one chance with me. Screw up once, fine, you're human. But if you can't prove to me that you're not an a-hole, I don't need you around.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Comment

Simple as pie,life is a Bit*h and there is little you can do but enjoy what good comes and just live to the fullest.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Things are not going to get better if you are just sitting on your hands waiting, if you want change you are going to have to work for it. You only have so much time on this world, make the most of it.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Don't count your chickens until you at least know what a chicken is.

(This has applications beyond farming techniques)
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The cake is a lie.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

This is something my best friend's grandpa always says when asked for advice. He's said it many times and now I'm going to,
              Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time.

Comment

Never eat yellow snow.

Mostly art.

Comment

^What if it's on a cone?
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Don't stress the shit you can't do anything about until it hits you in the face.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                      ^What if it's on a cone?
                      You can eat your urine however you wish.

Mostly art.

Comment

Stealing from a wiser man than I,

"Better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

If you want to live abroad and you can afford to, do it. You can always have a good idea what your life would be like if you hadn't done it, but if you don't do it, you'll always wonder what would have happened if you did. Do it, enjoy it, learn from it. Spend as much as your time possible going to local events, learning the language (if it's not England or Australia), and traveling around the area. Write a journal, take pics, and tell all your friends about it. You'll never regret it. I've lived in Germany for nearly 8 years, to the point where it's not really "living abroad" anymore because I've lived here more of my adult life than I ever lived in Canada. However, I've met tons of people who spend a year or a few abroad here, or in other cities where I've visited. Not once have I EVER met someone who said "I wish I'd never spent that time abroad." I have, however, encountered plenty here and back home who say "I wish I did what you did".

Comment

This bit of wisdom from my late father:

"A tool, in the hands of a fool; becomes not a tool, but a duel - between the fool, and the tool!"
                            -Zorba
                            "The Veiled Male"
                            http://www.doubleveil.net

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
                              This bit of wisdom from my late father:

"A tool, in the hands of a fool; becomes not a tool, but a duel - between the fool, and the tool!"
                              Hahaha, that's cute.

Comment

Working...
                              X