Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sequester,some information on what it means.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sequester,some information on what it means.

Found this Q&A about the Sequester. It does seem to explain something about this thing.

some quotes from the site.

"Q: Why does everyone hate the sequester?

A: Legislators on both sides don't like the sequester because the across-the-board cuts take them out of the fiscal equation. Because the cuts hit all programs equally, everyone's ox, theoretically, gets gored. "Sequestration was created to be hated," Harris said."

"Q: How would these cuts affect the country?

A: The White House and various government agencies have been releasing data on how federal agencies would deal with sequestration. Last week, a new report issued by the U.S. Army said Tobyhanna Army Depot could suffer more than $300 million in cuts, slashing its budget by more than one-third by Sept. 30. Fiscal organizations and special interest groups also have been outlining how they feel the cuts will hurt federal activities. While some have estimated longer waits at airport security and fewer food inspections, how the sequester would manifest in the everyday life of Americans is uncharted territory."

I really think this thing is stupid,like lighting a match to your foot to make you move..Just weird in my mind.

Your opinion and what things might effect you.

there is at least this.

"scheduled to begin March 1 and ending in 2021. The cuts are evenly split between defense spending and discretionary domestic spending. Wars and most spending on entitlements such as Social Security and Medicaid are exempt. The White House says cuts in 2013 will total as much as $109 billion.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Sequester,some information on what it means.

The sequester was manufactured by legislators to be so horrible that they would be willing to sit down and deal with it and agree on a decent plan rather than just letting the sequester happen, because it would be that much worse to let it happen.
    Congress took the week off...

Are they hiring in Canada? I'll wait tables again...
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'm thinking the Sequester portion should have included a line to the effect of

"If this clause activates, all sitting Congressional Represenatives and Senators on the day it goes into effect are explicitly banned from re-election."

Then again, I also want to level the same penalty whenever the legislature fails to pass an annual budget. If they can't do their job then they don't need it and I can't be bothered to care about who blames who for failing to do the job. They all pass or fail together.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        I'm thinking the Sequester portion should have included a line to the effect of

"If this clause activates, all sitting Congressional Represenatives and Senators on the day it goes into effect are explicitly banned from re-election."

Then again, I also want to level the same penalty whenever the legislature fails to pass an annual budget. If they can't do their job then they don't need it and I can't be bothered to care about who blames who for failing to do the job. They all pass or fail together.
        Now I'm sad I cannot plus you again yet...
        But I tend to agree. That said 9 congressmen, back when the sequester was pushed out to march, voted not to just extend it, 9 (please correct me if I am stupid.) Out of how bloody many? Yeah, I don't feel like blaming anyone short of the whole congress shebang....

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

The sequester is going to take effect because we the people apparently don't give two shits whether or not it does (but they probably will after a month or so)...and some Republican Tea Baggers think its brilliant (because their goal is to gut the US government even if it means gutting the economy to do it).

And that is bad.

But either way, until it hurts and the American people start bitching to the people that represent us, nothing is going to happen.

Look! A sequester updater...and its not even from a US publication...

Hey, I wrote my congressman. And even though he's a Republican, he's willing to eliminate tax loopholes for some of the money. Then again, he won't get reelected with some 50,000 people in this area losing their jobs and even more being furloughed. Because those paychecks trickle down into the economy to the tune of millions and millions of dollars.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I really need to stop reading tyhe comments on the stuff Thal posts... It makes me hate people more than usual...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

There's a meme or some crap floating around suggesting that if the first cuts to be made were congressional salaries, there'd already be a budget agreement.

As apathetic as so much of the population seems to be, they're not the ones being paid to come up with a plan. While it's true that if people used their voice a little more, like contacting those twits in D.C., they'd have slightly better results from the jerk offs they put in there, but that's only one, relatively minor, symptom of a much larger issue.

Things like job performance, absences, term limits, pensions and per diems aren't supervised or decided on by the general public. Except during elections. Which is really meaningless, in terms of the checks and balances that the congressional branches of government need to adhere to. As much as I promote the idea of voting OUT incumbents, that doesn't solve the problem, either. It just masks it.

Can someone tell me the total dollar figure, annually, being thrown at past and present representatives and congress members, as well as their staffs and all their other related expenses and overhead? Who pays that? Who decides what amounts are to be paid out? What sort of control is there on that type on government spending?

And why is that almost never in the news? It should always be in the news. Sequester? Don't even need to work in any sensationalism for THAT story.

Work order: failed.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Gonna leave this here:

or
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Stephen Colbert always seems to hit the nail right on its head,I love this guy.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

"Mealtime in the Monkey House!"

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                    X