the Maniae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Maniae

does anyone know about the Maniae or other Gods of insanity? I'm dealing with a mental illness right now and want to know who and how to pray for support and guidance.

Re: the Maniae

Personally, I'm not sure I'd work with a god that was an embodiment of chaos, insanity, or disorder when seeking help for those issues. It's the same reason I can see death gods being grounding, but not necessarily good without balance in the life of someone with deep depression.

Past that, I'm not sure I could make recommendations unless I had a better idea what the issue was. As is usually the case, though, often just picking a god and praying doesn't always have the best effect: most people find that instead, they get much further by learning meditation basics as well as learning how to shield and ground, then putting up those protection measures and sending out a request. Many people find that if they do this, they find that a deity "speaks" to them that in retrospect seems there all along, or that the Universe sends someone there way that fits their needs.

For example-- I personally have issues with depression and anxiety, as well as ongoing issues that could potentially be something like complex PTSD, but I hesitate to diagnose myself. To me, a god that epitomizes that sort of mental unrest would be bad news indeed, especially when I am struggling myself. With the Northern European figures that I have dealt with, though, the Jotun Angrboda helped me get to a point where I could function in public with the PTSD-type issues, including crippling public panic attacks. She has a very tough-love approach that isn't for everyone, based on other's UPG won't work with everyone. Freya in her role as Chooser of the Slain is invoked by some dealing with similar issues due to wartime, and I have heard of some who invoke Gullveig (**obviously** not traditional heathens) dealing with intense personal trauma. On the whole, though, I am finding the Vanir to be very nurturing presences, with a great deal of love and acceptance, but a great deal of backbone, too.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Re: the Maniae

To the surprise of no one, I recommend Dionysos. Although he is known as the god of madness, the madness he causes is holy, and is not the same as insanity, which is something he heals.

Comment

Working...
      X