• Show
Clear All

Re: The musicians

I'm learning drums
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

I played the french horn in school (jr. high, highschool and 1 year of college) I played trumpet during marching band.

Comment

Maybe I'm late getting to this thread. I noodle around on various instruments:
        recorder
        penny whistle
        lap harp
        autoharp
        piano (I did take lessons on this one)
        bowed psaltry

I was told not to apply to a vocal performance major, paralytic stage fright being a legitimate bar to admission. My oldest daughter plays guitar and has written and performed her own song; she has a saying that sums us both up: Music isn't what I DO, it's who I AM. I need music like I need air.

Comment

I just started picking up ukulele, as an easy accompaniment instrument. i figured it would be good because I have small hands and playing anything on guitar takes a lot of practice and revoicing to get right, but ukulele seems pretty easy (even so far, and I've played a total of an hour, maybe). Also, during this hypothetical Copenhagen trip, I think I might try to busk and a tiny instrument I could bring on my bike would be great!

The only thing I dont' love is that I'm not used to the tuning yet. I keep wanting it to be the last 4 strings of a guitar but it's just....not.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Re: stage fright....to be honest that's a big thing that stood in my way for a really long time (I was a vocal major). I only just got over it. I don't even know how it happened, but one day I was terrified to sing in front of even my closest friends and now for some reason if people ask me to sing something, i'm like YAY! Before I'd have to be talked into it and I'd need to brace myself, and I'd be shaking the whole time. I really wish I knew what changed so that I could help others with the same situation, but I just don't know....it was like one day I was terrified and the next I couldn't be more excited to sing in front of people.

Comment

I'm a composer now, for pretty much every instrument if I know how the note sounds

Comment

Circa 1972, I got a Yamaha FG-150 acoustic guitar. Sold it in 2003, it was still in great shape. I wasn't any good but I did enjoy it.Back then, all of us girls wanted to be the next Carole King or Joan Baez. I remember walking a couple miles to my friends house carrying my guitar case, wearing embroidered (by me) bell-bottom jeans, Dr. Scholl sandals, and a poncho.
              I'm very happy to have those memories.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                Circa 1972, I got a Yamaha FG-150 acoustic guitar. Sold it in 2003, it was still in great shape. I wasn't any good but I did enjoy it.Back then, all of us girls wanted to be the next Carole King or Joan Baez. I remember walking a couple miles to my friends house carrying my guitar case, wearing embroidered (by me) bell-bottom jeans, Dr. Scholl sandals, and a poncho.
                I'm very happy to have those memories.
                Sounds awesome....and like me in my teens, despite the fact that it was 2002 (I really liked the 60's and 70's haha)

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  Sounds awesome....and like me in my teens, despite the fact that it was 2002 (I really liked the 60's and 70's haha)
                  I still have the jeans. They haven't fit since then, though! LOL
                  My cousin is an excellent saxophone player. He got the real musical talent in the family.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I've just started learning to play the ocarina. So far I can play the first line of the Super Mario Bros. theme song, though granted it's out of tune...need to work on my breathing and finger work.
                    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                    -Erik Erikson

Comment

I play the theremin and the harmonica.
                      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Jaw harp.

Just that...
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This isn't really about what instrument I play, but my achievements on it, there's nowhere else to put this and I don't wanna create a new thread just for this:

I have just finished writing my 12 and a half minute piano concerto BOOYEAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
                            This isn't really about what instrument I play, but my achievements on it, there's nowhere else to put this and I don't wanna create a new thread just for this:

I have just finished writing my 12 and a half minute piano concerto BOOYEAH!
                            Could you write one for the jaw harp next, Amelia-Mary? Nobody writes good jaw harp concertos any more...

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              Could you write one for the jaw harp next, Amelia-Mary? Nobody writes good jaw harp concertos any more...

Challenge accepted, but you gotta play it XD So good luck, I'm insane XD

Comment

LOL - I can't read music (which is one of the many reasons I only play the jaw harp), so you'll have to hum it for me first!

Comment

Working...
                                X