Animal sacrifices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Animal sacrifices

You can look at it with vegan point of view- animal sacrifices can be any thing you get from animals.
    I personally, not vegan because I don't care, but I do think that milk and honey and eggs are made in a sacrificing process. A glass of milk and honey, maybe even small cupcakes with eggs and milk, are equal to a dead cow, at least for those who lives in an urban environment or the vegetarian pagans among us.

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
      In hunting, or making sacrifice of store-bought meat; I disagree. Yes the animal died. But... that sacrifice was already made (the animal is already dead). I have made no sacrifice.
      But haven't you sacrificed a great deal of your time and/or money into purchasing that meal? Even if you go to work at a job you love, you're still putting forth a lot of effort to obtain your daily bread.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

tradition aside,I think I would have a problem killing an animal myself. Most likely for me this stems from my distance from farming and animal raising for food in general. It used to be common for people to buy live animals to kill and prepare for eating,there was not as much stigma as we now see. Probably few outside the meat provider system could bring themselves to kill their own food. I am not a Veg. and would have a hard time if I did not have meat to eat. I admit I am what might be considered a "Modern" human in the sense of being less connected to the natural order of nature. If I had grown up on a farm,I might be more inclined to kill my own meat,but as it is I was born in a big city,and there is/was something of a taboo about killing animals yourself.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          tradition aside,I think I would have a problem killing an animal myself. Most likely for me this stems from my distance from farming and animal raising for food in general. It used to be common for people to buy live animals to kill and prepare for eating,there was not as much stigma as we now see. Probably few outside the meat provider system could bring themselves to kill their own food. I am not a Veg. and would have a hard time if I did not have meat to eat. I admit I am what might be considered a "Modern" human in the sense of being less connected to the natural order of nature. If I had grown up on a farm,I might be more inclined to kill my own meat,but as it is I was born in a big city,and there is/was something of a taboo about killing animals yourself.

So, what do you use/ suggest to use instead of animals?

Comment

I am not against killing animals for food,just not sure I personally could bring myself to do the killing. I LOVE eating meat. If I were in a position where I HAD to kill to eat,I most likely would. truth be told,if I were in a position where it was kill or starve,I might just kill and cook another person if that was all there was.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              I am not against killing animals for food,just not sure I personally could bring myself to do the killing. I LOVE eating meat. If I were in a position where I HAD to kill to eat,I most likely would. truth be told,if I were in a position where it was kill or starve,I might just kill and cook another person if that was all there was.
              I think that now days it's actually humanistic to hunt your own food than use the meat that was abused in the industry.
              But I didn't phrase my question so good, I meant to ask- what do you sacrifice in your rituals?

Comment

I think the term "Sacrifice" is being misused. A sacrifice has to do with giving up something of importance in exchange for something else. I think this would be considered an animal offering.

If it was indeed an animal sacrifice, it would have to be something like you best friend, Max the dog or Nibbles the hamster. (Though I do not recommend slaughtering your pets!) xD

That is how I have always seen it, anyways. (As a parallel, Jesus sacrificed himself for the sins of mankind. Meaning, God lost his one son; the ultimate price. Jesus was already deemed "Sacred" before he was sacrificed.)

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
                  I think the term "Sacrifice" is being misused. A sacrifice has to do with giving up something of importance in exchange for something else. I think this would be considered an animal offering.

If it was indeed an animal sacrifice, it would have to be something like you best friend, Max the dog or Nibbles the hamster. (Though I do not recommend slaughtering your pets!) xD

That is how I have always seen it, anyways. (As a parallel, Jesus sacrificed himself for the sins of mankind. Meaning, God lost his one son; the ultimate price. Jesus was already deemed "Sacred" before he was sacrificed.)
                  That depends in what you consider to be the part of 'animals' in your life.
                  If you see 'animals' only as food, sacrifice would mean giving some of your food up for the gods.
                  When you consider 'animals' as your friends, that may be different, and similar to sacrifice one of your human friends.

Comment

Just sort of an aside note but the bones, internals and such were sacrificed to chthonic deities while the entire animal was sacrificed to celestial deities. For instance when Jason is sacrificing to Hecate in Culcas (sp) it's the blood, bones, internals etc that a placed in the sunken fire pit. Another aspect of sacrifice to chthonic deities in that it is done on the ground or below ground level. Sometimes being consumed by flame for transmutation other times left to seep into the ground.

When animals are sacrificed to Artemis at Ephesus they are led whole and alive onto a raised altar and burnt allowing the sacrifice to be transmuted via flame. Celestial deities receiving sacrifices upon a raised altar or platform as part of the sacrifice act. Recordings from Ephesus / Ephesos speaking of animals fleeing the flames only to be pushed back in by the priest / priestess or onlookers.

Additionally chthonic sacrifice of entrails, bones, blood, soiled cooking water, etc were deposited at the Y shaped cross roads as part of the Dneiper (sp) offerings to Hecake / Hekate on the 30th of the month or new moon. At times a part of the Hecate / Hekate supers left at the cross-roads though the dneiper actually lasted for three days. Either dumped as waste upon the ground or in a depression or placed within a cube like devise filled with coals and spun about the head to consume the meatier parts before being dumped upon the ground. The device believed to be similar to or actually the Stratapolis referenced in the Chaldean oracles.

Myself I tend to make offerings and sacrifices of the waste to chthonic deities by burning it in a sunken pit or depression. It may be the blood or internals depending upon the type of creature. For celestial deities it is placed upon a raised altar or platform and burnt until the offering is fully consumed via flame. The only exception to this is at times I also use the notion of Egyptian influences where the essence of the meal is sacrificed to the gods / goddesses and the meal itself is consumed by the one who made the offering.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                    X