The "Is ______ Normal?" Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Is ______ Normal?" Thread.

Thanks to a brilliant idea of Jembru's, here is a thread for the forum members, themselves. All of us have something we think is normal... and then wonder if it really IS. This is the place for those thoughts.

I'm posting this in the LOL's area because I want this to be a fun thread, not an invitation for criticism.

To begin, is over-analyzing the simplest things (such as where to post this thread) normal?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Re: The "Is ______ Normal?" Thread.

Is it normal to fry bacon, and put the fat that renders out in a jar for use in cooking later?
    My husband thinks I am crazy and swears he will never eat anything I cook with it, (too late!)

My grandmother did it, my mother does it, I do it.
    Is it normal?
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
      Is it normal to fry bacon, and put the fat that renders out in a jar for use in cooking later?
      My husband thinks I am crazy and swears he will never eat anything I cook with it, (too late!)

Is it normal?
      Yeah, it's normal. Just old fashioned. My folks used to do it, and I used to do it as well. Now I use Pam.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Is it normal?
        It seems kind of gross, but I can also see how that would make food especially yummy! I would say as long as it's not getting anyone sick, it's a pretty good idea. Cast iron pans were never washed, so people would be cooking in the left over fats and juices of previous meals.

Comment

Is it normal?
          It's perfectly normal, especially for those coming from or living in the southeastern US.

I'm sitting here, trying to come up w/something that I do or think that I don't feel is normal, but... I think I've been exposed to the internet for too long. There's at least one or two other people out there who share the same quirks and proclivities as I do, and if I really wanted to explore my stranger corners, I could find someone to commiserate with online. Some of my proclivities have entire internet communities dedicated to them.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Is it normal?
            Not only is it normal, it is mandatory.
            "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Is it normal to nibble on metal? I like the feeling of thin metal on and between my teeth, so I'll nibble on safety pins, hair pins, paper clips, chain bracelets and necklaces, and anything else like that. I apply hardly any pressure when I chew, so I don't think I'm ruining my teeth. I hope not. This is a habit I've had ever since I was a child.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
                It seems kind of gross, but I can also see how that would make food especially yummy! I would say as long as it's not getting anyone sick, it's a pretty good idea. Cast iron pans were never washed, so people would be cooking in the left over fats and juices of previous meals.
                My grandmother doesn't wash her cast iron skillett eigther. Also to be clear, I store the stuff in the fridge, it gets the consistancy of butter...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
                Is it normal to nibble on metal? I like the feeling of thin metal on and between my teeth, so I'll nibble on safety pins, hair pins, paper clips, chain bracelets and necklaces, and anything else like that. I apply hardly any pressure when I chew, so I don't think I'm ruining my teeth. I hope not. This is a habit I've had ever since I was a child.
                I do this too, so I think it is normal. I hope it is normal...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

My grandmother doesn't wash her cast iron skillett eigther. Also to be clear, I store the stuff in the fridge, it gets the consistancy of butter...
                  You're not actually SUPPOSED to wash a cast iron pan. Ruins the...something. It ruins it, damn it.

So yeah, y'all who don't wash them are normal.

Mostly art.

Comment

Washing cast iron. I think I made a thread here, a long time ago, about that. I still don't understand where that "no wash" rule comes from. Now, "no scrub" I understand, and "no harsh soap" as well.

I actually clean my pans when I'm done cooking, so as not to introduce rotting, spoiled or otherwise unhealthy remains into the next meal.

Isn't THAT normal?!?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                      Washing cast iron. I think I made a thread here, a long time ago, about that. I still don't understand where that "no wash" rule comes from. Now, "no scrub" I understand, and "no harsh soap" as well.

I actually clean my pans when I'm done cooking, so as not to introduce rotting, spoiled or otherwise unhealthy remains into the next meal.

Isn't THAT normal?!?
                      It isn't not-washing, but you do not use soap or scrubbing to clean them, and it only applies to cast iron. The butters and oils and fats get into the little pores in the iron and make the skillett non-stick, and makes all of your food better too. you are actually supposed to use butter and cook it into the pores, this is called "seasoning" your skillett, it is even taught in culinary schools. It can't be any worse for your body than teflon...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

I blogged about this issue with cast iron a couple of years ago, here, if anyone's interested.
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

It isn't not-washing, but you do not use soap or scrubbing to clean them, and it only applies to cast iron. The butters and oils and fats get into the little pores in the iron and make the skillett non-stick, and makes all of your food better too. you are actually supposed to use butter and cook it into the pores, this is called "seasoning" your skillett, it is even taught in culinary schools. It can't be any worse for your body than teflon...
                          Oh, I know. I've been cooking with cast iron (my preferred) for well over 30 years. My mother, father, grandparents [et al] all swore by their use. Typically in terms of immensely better flavor, and I have to agree.

But. I know some people (many, in fact) that take it off the stove, after it cools, and put it away. No cleaning, whatsoever. And they wonder why illness runs in their family. Other people refuse to cook with cast iron simply because they aren't supposed to wash it/them. It's bullshit.

I've picked up a cast iron pan, rusted all to hell, and cooked with it, after using regular SAND (picked up off the ground) to rid it of rust, with soap and water to clean out the sand. (That was a monumentally awesome camping trip, btw.) I've thrown a cast iron frying pan in the dishwasher a few times. Re/Seasoning a pan is quick and easy. It can even be done frequently. This myth about "no washing" is a complete heap of [traditional and constantly perpetuated] nonsense. The damn things are virtually indestructible, immensely superior and, properly seasoned, more non-stick than even teflon or ceramic pans.

But. I'm the oddball. NOT washing them is "normal".

And wrong.

Comment

I learned about Cast Iron pans from an early age(My Father was a cook) As I learned it you use oil and salt to rub it down,then bake it in the oven to seal(season) the pan. They cook evenly and as said don't stick if you season them right.
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              I learned about Cast Iron pans from an early age(My Father was a cook) As I learned it you use oil and salt to rub it down,then bake it in the oven to seal(season) the pan. They cook evenly and as said don't stick if you season them right.
                              Yeah, that's what my husband does, my grandmother just used hers over and over and rinsed it with hot water before putting it away unless it had something burned on, which was rare, she now just never puts it away and only uses it to cook, not sure how healthy that is tho...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                              X