Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why/how do certain objects have magical properties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why/how do certain objects have magical properties?

Now, I know the title seems very broad, so I'll explain a bit here. I've been doing a bit of research into pagan paths, and one thing that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is why certain, seemingly meaningless objects, have particular magic effects. Like plants that have these kinds of effects, or stones or treebark, certain crystals, etc.

Like, is there a reason that people often associate a certain herb for a certain property when using spells, or did someone just make it up? Or like using some object as a representation of an intent, why do these objects have any magical property at all?

I'm not trying to be offensive or negative, because I truly am curious in a pagan path, but I'm having a hard time really understanding as to why magic works with these "accessories" and how they can help someone's spiritual intents, rather than just being a random object that seems pretty.

So any answers to my questions would be immensely appreciated.

Re: Why/how do certain objects have magical properties?

Well, from my point of view anyway it has to do with essence. That je ne sais quoi that makes a thing like itself, for example the blueness of blue or ringlike quality of rings. Whether you ascribe a spiritual, mythic, or supernatural component to this the psychological component cannot be denied.

You can associate an herb for example with fertility. Maybe that association exists because it's vaguely suggestive of reproductive organs, or perhaps it contains a chemical that has a medicinal effect, or it is related in some manner to a mythic figure that is associated with fertility. In other words, it shares in the essence of fertility.

Perhaps this association helps you cast the spell just in terms of being in the right mindset, or having the right energies around you to call upon, or the living spirit of the plants helps, or the chemical properties of the herb are taking effect, or maybe it's just another impotent trapping in a useless superstition.

That all depends on how the universe works, and more importantly how you believe the universe works. If magic does exist, then there might just be something to these associations in the collective unconscious... the wisdom of our forebears.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I think Denarius put it pretty well. Some things have properties ascribed to them for some of the reasons Denarius said, and sometimes things can have whatever properties you associate with them. If a crystal makes you feel better, it doesnt matter as much what it is, so much as how it makes you feel. If an herb that is usually associated with love makes you feel like vomiting, it is unlikely to help you with the mindset or the spell, so things like how you feel matters too! Sometimes the very best way to find the magical properties of something, is to spend time with it, think on it, and meditate. Books are awesome, and I love reading em myself but sometimes it helps to have a more personal meaning or understanding of things... this is just my opinion, feel free to ignore me :wink razz:
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
        Like, is there a reason that people often associate a certain herb for a certain property when using spells, or did someone just make it up?
        Short answer: Cultural evolution

Longer answer: Correspondences (the association of something concrete [an herb, a stone, etc] with something a less concrete or abstract [love, passion, fertility, exorcism, divination, etc]) find their first and furthest roots in animism--the idea that plants, animals, rocks, places of power, etc have a distinct and living spirit as part of their physical make up...and that people (generally medicine men, shaman, etc) can communicate with these spirits. In indigenous cultures, we can see this in a number of groups (some of the best studies are South American Andean and Amazonian peoples), where direct communication with plant spirits are attributed to having taught those people to use them as medicines, as foods, as religious herbs. As with civilization and agriculture in the Western world, the development of these sorts of ideas for Western magic and its associated correspondences, originate in Greece and Rome, and later development in the rest of Europe. The Greeks developed ideas of the humors, the elements, etc that trickled into European ideas of medicine, chemistry, and magic in the medieval and Renaissance times--these ideas were similar to those found in other cultures, and probably influenced in the trade of ideas. "Traditional" correspondences today have a number of sources--indigenous European cultures, Ancient Greece, Rome, and Egypt, alchemy, Asian trade (specifically China), native American and African traditions, etc. Basically...where the physical trade (and settlement) of people goes, so go their ideas, including their ideas of magic and belief. Even if they aren't accepted into the mainstream, they are often taken into the folklore and folk magic that develops in the new place.

Or like using some object as a representation of an intent, why do these objects have any magical property at all?
        Short answer: Belief

Longer answer: Belief is complicated. Its not just a matter saying "oh, I think this is maybe true"...real, deep, and true belief is based on layers of experience, individual and cultural. As an example (although a somewhat controversial one), take the idea of zombification or of kurdaitcha, etc. I could go on...but I have to get kids ready for school. What Denarius and Maria said are on spot here, regarding some of the complexities of belief...

I'm not trying to be offensive or negative, because I truly am curious in a pagan path, but I'm having a hard time really understanding as to why magic works with these "accessories" and how they can help someone's spiritual intents, rather than just being a random object that seems pretty.
        Magic comes originates within, and without. It is the interplay between self, and culture, and environment that makes magic. Lavender is an herb used for relaxation because medicinally (chemically) it is calming, and because we believe it to be calming. You can do magic with just you...magic with just you is probably better off than magic with stuff you don't believe in. But magic with stuff is an acknowledgement of culture and history and environment as part of what makes you you and me me...and is all the stronger for it.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Can't overemphasize the importance of personally intuiting association. How does it make you feel? Where and how does it thrive? What does it mean to you personally?

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
          X