Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your one moment when you realised the world had changed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your one moment when you realised the world had changed.

The only techy thing I had before I started college was a tandy that played zork, got it at a yard sale for twelve dollars.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Touch-tone phones (as opposed to rotary dial). I knew that was laying the groundwork for cordless, and eventually cellular.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
        Touch-tone phones (as opposed to rotary dial). I knew that was laying the groundwork for cordless, and eventually cellular.
        I would love to have a rotary phone at home!
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Okay I got one.

It wasn't the moment that something was created, per se. It was the moment that the technology I grew up with became outdated, such as floppy disks, cassette tapes and VCR tapes. Granted, this happened when I was very young but it was still very jarring to me. Now, the kids can't even tell you what they are half the time. I'm rambling. The thing that really got me was Blockbuster (and various other rental chains) finally went under. Can't find one anywhere. The experience is gone, much the way of the drive-in.

Comment

Originally posted by LizardMind View Post
            The experience is gone, much the way of the drive-in.
            We still have a couple of drive-ins in Vegas

To me, technology over-rides experiences. The experiential things really didn't seem world-changing when they happened, but I know to a lot of people they meant it was a new era.

The Challenger explosion back in the 80s was just another failure in a long line of failures.

September 11 was just another terrorist attack.

Even Obama being the first black president of the US was anti-climatic. Americans are still just as bigoted and narrow-minded as they've always been, only if anything it's more vocal now. People seem less ashamed to be prejudiced in public now.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

The rover on Mars is really doing it for me. I've been watching a lot of outer space and universe related documentaries this past year and its really blowing my kind when I try to comprehend some of the info I'm receiving.
              Especially when partaking with Mary Jane. Just saying.
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Went to a restaurant last month and realized there was a touch screen soda dispenser. I was all like WTF is this? OMG awesome! Made me think of all the things from old 80's movies that were faked for a futuristic feel - those things are becoming reality. Totally blowing my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  You must have had access to computers well before I did. The first time I ever touched one I must have been about 10, and I didn't own one until I was 16, and even then, it wasn't really mine. I remember the days before Youtube, and before I had access to the internet. They were better days, in some ways.
                  My dad is really into them and bought one around when I was born. We got internet in like 1994 or 1995. I was 10 then, and of course remember life without it, but I was using it myself by the time I was 12 or so. Also my dad used bulletin boards and newsgroups before the internet really evolved, and I remember him talking to people and networking online.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                  I was 17 and I only got it because I had just gotten a license and a job and my mother wanted a way to get a hold of me when I wasn't home. *shrug*
                  I was 16...but same.

Mine was a hand me down from my dad.

Comment

When I, Robot became reality!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-1...-brain/4432994

Amazing medical advancement.

Comment

I remember how newfangled my first cell phone seemed -- it didn't even have a color screen -- sadly touch screen phones also have this effect on me. I was against them initially because of the glitches, but I will buy one eventually. Also I sometimes think of New Age religions as the future, but I wonder if non-religious views will win out. That is if the world doesn't end or anything. =D I don't normally have a "this is the future" epiphany, I've always been more fascinated by the past.

Comment

Working...
                      X