Listverse dropped the ball on this one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listverse dropped the ball on this one.

So, I normally like reading list sites like Listverse and Cracked. I came upon this and I find the author has crossed way over the line between being tongue-in-cheek and just being downright out of bounds. The section on Asatru in particular I find appalling.

So, here's the link if anyone wants to go yell at them.
    There once was a man who said though,
    It seems that I know that I know,
    What I'd like to see,
    Is the I that knows me,
    When I know that I know that I know.

Re: Listverse dropped the ball on this one.

Eh, I'm not about to go and yell at them (seems pretty well taken care of already), though there were some ignorant misconceptions in the article, especially the implication that Astaru is inexorably associated with the Nazis because Hitler was interested in it. Hitler also liked Walt Disney, but that doesn't mean that all Disney fans are fascists.
    Now, I'm just fine with people being critical or skeptical of religion, I can be quite critical myself, but this article had that sense of "HAHA these religions are minorities so it's okay if we laugh at them," and I'm pretty sick of that sort of smug self assurance.
    One last error that I will point out: The list says that the swastika was taken from Astaru. Not true, it was originally part of the Hindu religion. Perhaps the author was too much of a wimp to criticize a major religion Or, maybe it was an honest error. Either way, poor form.

Comment

It's not too bad, iffy in some parts and outright wrong in others but mostly alright. I'd give it a C+ for effort.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

It is a crappy list... There is not really information other than things to potentially laugh at contained within it. The comments are worse... I just don't think I wanna read crap like that anymore. It os a shame that a lot of the people who read this list are going to meet someone who may be on it and have something to say...
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

As a writer of online content, I'm not overly offended. Unfortunately, the world of internet writing isn't exactly high-end journalism. Most of it isn't well-researched and it tends to be pretty puffy and over-generalized. Don't blame us...we're not paid a lot. You get paid per piece with these sites, and the pay is low enough that you usually have to write a piece in 30 minutes to 2 hours for it to be worth it. Any less than that and you're getting paid less than minimum wage. Most of us aspire to write proper articles that pay $1 a word, but that involves experience and the best way to get experience these days is to write for the internet.

Comment

I was mostly offended by how unfunny it is. Other than a few lame stereotypes I think they gave fairly decent summaries of what each of those traditions is about, from an outsider point of view, but what's the point of list humor that doesn't actually make you laugh? :|

Comment

Working...
            X