Cartomancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cartomancy

I've recently decided to pick up Cartomancy. I'm not really sure how to interpret the cards, though. I have found some different web sites describing it, but they all say very different things. I'm not really sure which site to use.

Re: Cartomancy

I suppose, if you're finding different interpretations... Use the interpretations that speak to you the most. Does the interpretation of a card match what you believe the card should mean?

Comment

The first question I asked everything matched perfectly, but the second reading I did made no sense.

Comment

Readings won't tell you if your interpretations are "right" or "wrong"... I like to believe that the energies of the universe will compensate for everyone's different interpretations. That's how all sorts of divinations work, and people still get the proper answers even if they all have different interpretations of the same thing.

The answer may not have made sense because:

a) The question should not be answered at the time
        b) It has to do with a future event
        c) It answered differently than what you were expecting
        d) You didn't focus on the question clearly enough.

Comment

I'm gonna go with B. And maybe D a little bit.

Comment

Get information from various sources (at least 3 or 4). Find what points they have in common and which are specific to that interpreter. Look up the mythical symbols of the card (imagery, numbers, archetypes, etc) and correlate that to the information you have narrowed down. Finally, blend in your own opinions. Get to know your cards by meditating and concentrating on one individual card at a time. You may have a sudden lightbulb moment during a completely mundane daily task, so keep a notepad at the ready
            sigpic

Comment

for beginners, be aware there are at least a couple of major traditions 1) the occultist tradition and 2) the pre-occultist interpretations. This is only important to know being as some of the pre-occultist traditions have a very different scheme of meaning. But by and large most books and decks these days belong in the occultist tradition, rider-waite being the prime example. And because of this there is usually a common thread a meaning (for example three of swords always means approximately the same thing from deck to deck).

I recommend, for beginners, for each reading look at the card(s) you lay out first and see if it looks meaningful to you in any way. Only then look at your book or pamphlet. Then when you are done with your layout, set the book aside again and look at the layout as a whole. Does it tell you a story?

Look, then read, then look again.

Refer to your written definitions, but don't be bound by them. Over time different cards will tell you different things and you'll get to know them and you will refer to definitions less and less. (but different decks can be very different).

I don't find myself to be readily psychic but I enjoy doing readings and like to let the cards speak to me. What does an image or layout evoke. Be silent a moment, look and listen.

Comment

Working...
              X