Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Odinists, Asatru, or Heathens still post here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any Odinists, Asatru, or Heathens still post here?

Originally posted by lostsoulwanders View Post
    Would anyone happen to have any knowledge on Norse Shamanism?
    Ive started a book called Neolithic Shamanism. See here:

Book, by Raven Kaldera and Galina Krasskova. Has anyone read this? Or used it in their own spiritual development? I just got it as an ebook, and after reading the first chapter have decided I like it. I've even started some of the exercises in and see it as a good guide for me at the moment. So anyone else used it/read
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by lostsoulwanders View Post
      Would anyone happen to have any knowledge on Norse Shamanism?
      The Norse didn't really do shamanism.

Which leaves you with either:

Seidhr, which has some practices in common with certain shamanic practices, but is not shamanism per se. There are lots of resources about this all over the place.

Saami shamanism, which is not technically within the 'Norse' or 'Northern' umbrella but which was (and is) practiced in Lappland and is therefore a close neighbour.

Or Northern Tradition Shamanism, which is what Heka's book is about, along with the other books by Raven Kaldera and Galina Krasskova. This is a spirit taught practice that aims to recreate the pre-Indo European circumpolar shamanic practices. It's rooted in the period pre-dating the Viking Age and is thus not related to most practices within Heathenry and traditional reconstructionst paths.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        The Norse didn't really do shamanism.

Which leaves you with either:

Seidhr, which has some practices in common with certain shamanic practices, but is not shamanism per se. There are lots of resources about this all over the place.

Saami shamanism, which is not technically within the 'Norse' or 'Northern' umbrella but which was (and is) practiced in Lappland and is therefore a close neighbour.

Or Northern Tradition Shamanism, which is what Heka's book is about, along with the other books by Raven Kaldera and Galina Krasskova. This is a spirit taught practice that aims to recreate the pre-Indo European circumpolar shamanic practices. It's rooted in the period pre-dating the Viking Age and is thus not related to most practices within Heathenry and traditional reconstructionst paths.
        Well this is likely why I was having trouble finding anything specific. I'll have to take a look at these other options as well as the book mentioned in the Neolithic Shamanism thread. Thanks for the help.

Comment

As a warning, Raven Kaldera ruffles a lot of feathers in the Heathen community, partially because he does not have a traditional conservative lifestyle, and partially because he's been very open about his participation in the BDSM community, and exploring ways that can intersect with belief in the gods.

Personally, while I'm not always finding myself drawing the same conclusions he does, I have interacted with him elsewhere online and found him to be a really decent human being, and much nicer when dealing with people then the average recon site. YMMV, but wanted to throw that out there.
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
          X