Pagans and mainstream media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagans and mainstream media

I know that everybody gets a bit miffed when pagans are misrepresented in the media.

The solution to this problem is that pagans need to use the mainstream media - since they won't be properly represented until they have their foot in the door. Not just our own little pagan blogs - we need to hit big, mainstream media.

Here's an article from Huffington Post which, I think, does what it should -

How Pagans Do It
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Pagans and mainstream media

Locally, here in Las Vegas, our mainstream media outlet always finds the most whack-jobbiest Pagans to interview.

Y'know, the ones who wear their robes and circlets and 20 lbs. of stones to city hall meetings, or are vampires or the Oestre Bunny or something else outrageous.

Then, the rest of us 'normal' Pagans all write letters to the editor for damage control.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

That's why pagans can't expect others to do the work of spreading information for them...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The media will always seek to find the most outrageous member of a religious group/minority/subculture to be the tell-all face of that group. It's also because the most outrageous members love to talk about themselves. People don't want to see a person who looks like they could be their normal next door neighbour doing or believing "weird stuff" - they like to be able to physically point out these weirdos in a crowd. The fact that most of us look and act like normal folk and can blend in is something that is hard to grasp for some.
        sigpic

Comment

I think we forget sometimes to interact with the "regular" world. Otherwise we have to rely on the people who do... and some people that wanna interact and speak out... well if we are letting them represent us, its our fault too. If we can't be bothered to speak for ourselves then we will get what we get.
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
          X