Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atheist Paganism equated to just being called a 'witch'?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atheist Paganism equated to just being called a 'witch'?

"Just a witch?"

Ignorant response if you ask me. Witches are another breed entirely and, in my personal experience, it involves people who practice witchcraft/magic, or worship certain gods/follow a certain type of paganism, or those who simply like the term and think it best describes their particular path. In fact, it makes no sense to me whatsoever that you could put "atheist" in front of something and then still get a response with a description that, generally, comes with a pantheon.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Re: Atheist Paganism equated to just being called a 'witch'?

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
      There's a post on r/occult (reddit) that asks about what kind of paths people follow. I answered with 'atheist pagan' and somebody said something that kinda bothered me.

Do you equate being an atheist pagan (or secular humanist, or naturalist pagan, or humanist pagan) to be 'just a witch'? I was a little offended by the remark, which suggested it was just easier to call myself a witch, but I disagree.

Because I'm not a witch.

What do you think?
      I've heard this before. One of the drawbacks to being an atheist in paganism is that you get crap from 3 sides of the religious spectrum. As if we didn't already have it bad enough getting crap from Christians because we are supposedly satan incarnate, we also get crap from atheists because they believe we cling to superstition, whether are even superstitious or not. They also believe we just want to be less controversial than just committing to paganism, and so we want our cake and to eat it, too. Then, lastly, we get crap from the Pagans (with a capital 'P', because they are the vocal majority of the community, I don't equate 'P'agan and 'p'agan) because they believe that in order to have your personal spiritual life qualify as 'p'agan, you need to believe in Gods, or practice magick, or whatever their accepted rules are that week.

In my case, I am a witch. All my hold over habits from earlier in my path still remain. I still stir my pots in sunwise or widdershins directions, and I actually am mindfully referring to that. I still 'sweep' my house with a besom, out the door. I still make witch bottles every year, I still mix my own remedies. I'm still a witch even though I'm an atheist and a naturalist. I just don't do any devotional work with deities.

Comment

Working...
      X