Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women health issues (The public version)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow this is an old topic but I have a question that fits into this thread.

Story:
    I'm pissed off but I'm not sure who I need to be pissed off at. I finally had my annual OB exam so my birth control could get refilled. First the pharmacy filled the generic version and charged me $15 for a 3/mo supply. When I realized it was the wrong one, I returned it (unopened) and asked for the one I had been taking for the last... idk, forever. They want $128 for a 3/mo supply. It's been free up until now. Wtf? I'm on Hubby's insurance now so that may have something to do with it but the last two insurances I had prior didn't charge me anything for this. I'm Furious and don't know how to channel it right now. I've been off the pill for almost a month. My hormones are all over the effing place right now.

Question:
    So do I call the insurance company to try and work something out? I had my doc issue a note last time UHG - my previous insurance - was trying to make me take MonoNessa (the generic version of Ortho Cyclen) but I don't think that was money related, even though the pharmacy tried to get me to pay for MonoNessa but I ended up not paying for Ortho Cyclen.

FWIW, I get stomach issues when taking mononessa and seem to have hormonal swings. Which doesn't really make sense to me since they are supposedly the same thing but I haven't had trouble with ortho cyclen, so I want to stick to that. But I also don't want to pay $40+ for one month, let alone $128 for 3 months.

What can i do? Where should I start.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Re: Women health issues (The public version)

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      Wow this is an old topic but I have a question that fits into this thread.

Story:
      I'm pissed off but I'm not sure who I need to be pissed off at. I finally had my annual OB exam so my birth control could get refilled. First the pharmacy filled the generic version and charged me $15 for a 3/mo supply. When I realized it was the wrong one, I returned it (unopened) and asked for the one I had been taking for the last... idk, forever. They want $128 for a 3/mo supply. It's been free up until now. Wtf? I'm on Hubby's insurance now so that may have something to do with it but the last two insurances I had prior didn't charge me anything for this. I'm Furious and don't know how to channel it right now. I've been off the pill for almost a month. My hormones are all over the effing place right now.

Question:
      So do I call the insurance company to try and work something out? I had my doc issue a note last time UHG - my previous insurance - was trying to make me take MonoNessa (the generic version of Ortho Cyclen) but I don't think that was money related, even though the pharmacy tried to get me to pay for MonoNessa but I ended up not paying for Ortho Cyclen.

FWIW, I get stomach issues when taking mononessa and seem to have hormonal swings. Which doesn't really make sense to me since they are supposedly the same thing but I haven't had trouble with ortho cyclen, so I want to stick to that. But I also don't want to pay $40+ for one month, let alone $128 for 3 months.

I don't know about the insurance. Thankfully much simpler here. But I went through a few different kinds when I was on the pill (I was for 8 years), most made me sick but I found some that were ok. I've tried getting the copies and heard 'but they're exactly the same' a few times, and I experienced side effects from them that I didn't have with my usual ones. I know lots of others who have tried the same. So you're not alone in that. It's not uncommon at all and you're totally justified wanting to stick with the ones that work for you.. sorry I can't be of help with the rest though.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
        I don't know about the insurance. Thankfully much simpler here. But I went through a few different kinds when I was on the pill (I was for 8 years), most made me sick but I found some that were ok. I've tried getting the copies and heard 'but they're exactly the same' a few times, and I experienced side effects from them that I didn't have with my usual ones. I know lots of others who have tried the same. So you're not alone in that. It's not uncommon at all and you're totally justified wanting to stick with the ones that work for you.. sorry I can't be of help with the rest though.
        It's relieving to hear that I'm not alone in this. It's just so frustrating and I already hate pharmaceuticals as it is, which I'm sure doesn't help my situation. I've contemplated getting an IUD or trying the implant just so I don't have to worry about this kind of stuff as often, but I'm not overly fond of those options either.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        Sneak Attack

Comment

Quick update. The assistant at my clinic thinks with the Obamacare repeal, it's affecting BC everywhere. Mine isn't an isolated incident, it seems. Only slightly relieving on one level but highly alarming on so many others. I'll be having a conversation with my doc tomorrow about... Whatever we can do.
          Sneak Attack

Comment

A nurse recently informed me that the meds that one pharmacy was asking us to pay $200 for might be much cheaper at another pharmacy due to the different contracts pharmacies hold with pharmaceutical companies. She said Sam's Club and Costco are usually the best and to call around asking what their "cash price" is for the medication. After that, if you find a more palatable number, you can have your prescription sent there (For the record we ended up finding it for $16 cash price somewhere else via this method).

Alternatively, in my state there is a discount card of sorts issued by the state which supposedly drops all prescriptions down to their lowest possible price (depends on the pharmacy) either by the discount card or by activating any coupons available on the medication (which is apparently a thing, coupons on meds...). It guarantees the lowest price by choosing the best deal of all the options. Your state may have something similar, it may be worth looking around for. She also said if I googled the medication name and dose with "coupon" that I would likely find several coupons for that particular medication that any pharmacy would accept.
            Last edited by Willow; 23 Feb 2017, 18:39.

Comment

Maybe they switched generic suppliers? When I was on generic adderall, the pharmacy switched brands, and it had stronger side effects but wasn't working. I could get the old ones back, but they'd have to be special-ordered and insurance wouldn't cover it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I actually have an IUD, since I can't take progestin, and it's actually a pretty good option. I've had it for two years with no problems, and I never have to stop and ask myself "Did I take my BC today?"

Comment

It's relieving to hear that I'm not alone in this. It's just so frustrating and I already hate pharmaceuticals as it is, which I'm sure doesn't help my situation. I've contemplated getting an IUD or trying the implant just so I don't have to worry about this kind of stuff as often, but I'm not overly fond of those options either.
                So I was totally going to get an IUD after having Monster and my Midwife recommended that I not do that, 1 because they have the same hormones in them as the Depo shot and the Depo made me stage 5 crazy! 2. Its really expensive, and she didn't want me to pay for it only to have it taken out a few months later because I couldn't handle the how it affected me. I just got my 3 month supply and was still free, cross your fingers I do not have $130 for birth control.
                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Mirena has a very small amount of homrones, that don't even last a fifth of the life of the device. Since the hormone in depo could actually kill me, I'd literally stake my life on that fact. Ask about others, too, I'd heard there's a copper one with no hormones whatsoever, I think it's called Paraguard

Comment

I got a call from my Doc office today. It turns out that the insurance I have now (through Hubby) is penalizing me for wanting brand name BC and supposedly even a letter from my doc won't have any affect on the outcome, and this is after the Co-Pay. I didn't have time to call Hubby's company insurance rep to talk to them so it'll have to wait until Monday. My thing is that I'm not even taking BC to prevent pregnancy. I'm taking it to regulate my cycle and balance out hormones.
                    Sneak Attack

Comment

Sucks that the pill sucks, the pharmacies suck, Obama care sucks, insurance sucks etc. I dont really have anything constructive to say sorry, just giving support. I had issues with different brands of pills etc when i was chopping and changing (would get free samples from my doctor mother) so i have some idea how you feel.

Tbh, i would never get any kind of IUD. Copper or hormonal. The idea creeps me out and I've heard horror stories. I had an implant for a while but i spotted non stop for 4 months so they took it out. Apparently 1 in 5 has a severe reaction to it. Those are pretty shit odds i reckon. When i went off the pill my body and hormones went haywire. Totaly cooked. Ive been off nearly 2 years and I still have BO. But i would never ever considering going back on it, and i will never out my child on it. I know plenty of people see plenty of benefits but there is no way I'd recommend it to anyone ever again. Our bodies arent meant to be chemically manipulated long term. And i do believe its screwed with my fertility. Its definitely screwed with my hormones.
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

My girlfriend got the copper IUD because she wanted hormone free birth control and it's worked great for her. It lasts 10 years and she's had it for three. The hubby says he can feel the cord sometimes, but that just means she doesn't have to check for it. Though if you need the hormones, Juni, that won't help you.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
                        X