Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women health issues (The public version)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women health issues (The public version)

My biggest "women's health issue" was fibroids - I had horrible problems with them. I had a uterine artery embolism done 5 years ago and no more problems!
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I might have endometriosis. It's rough times but the pill makes it at least slightly better. The hormones make the overgrown endometrial tissue a little bit more at bay (though even with it's still worse than it was in my early 20's).

Comment

The "surge" in homosexuality wasn't the pill. It was the DSM removing homosexuality as a mental disorder that got people out of the closet when they realized that YES THEY WEREN'T CRAZY.

Adults in the 1970's didn't all of a sudden become gay because women in 1960 started taking the pill.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          I might have endometriosis. It's rough times but the pill makes it at least slightly better. The hormones make the overgrown endometrial tissue a little bit more at bay (though even with it's still worse than it was in my early 20's).
          I understand that can be very painful.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
            I believe rather strongly that modern-day pharmaceuticals, which includes bc pills, are not always the healthiest choice.
            That's fine - but in so many cases, they're the most easily obtained and effective, especially when it comes to birth control. I could go out of my way and try to find various legumes, yams & herbs with pseudohormonal effects (and not just during their growing season), and then worry if the dosage is strong enough to a) alleviate the symptoms I get from PCOS and b) prevent pregnancy. Or I could buy a pill with analogues of those same hormones, at the same consistent level and dosage, all year 'round, and know that, in general, they will alleviate the symptoms and prevent pregnancy.

Kind of like, yes, willow bark, myrtle and other plants do have salicylic acid in them, and they will relieve minor aches and pains - but have you tasted that stuff? And you can't exactly coat a tea in an enteric coating for people who are sensitive to pure salicylic acid.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

...as someone that pretends to be a person from the 19th century on a regular basis, I would like to point out that most studies of the time (using primary documents) demonstrate that homosexuality was quite prevalent prior to hormonal birth control (and all things considered, I would hazard to guess *just* as prevalent, but not as publicly expressed). The difference is that it was described in different terminology, recognized within different social boundaries and roles, and often camouflaged by the "traditional" behavior of marriage and children (just as it is in certain religious groups today).
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                ...as someone that pretends to be a person from the 19th century on a regular basis, I would like to point out that most studies of the time (using primary documents) demonstrate that homosexuality was quite prevalent prior to hormonal birth control (and all things considered, I would hazard to guess *just* as prevalent, but not as publicly expressed). The difference is that it was described in different terminology, recognized within different social boundaries and roles, and often camouflaged by the "traditional" behavior of marriage and children (just as it is in certain religious groups today).
                Yup there's a whole group of people who cannot get over that homosexuality has always been. Not just during moments of "deviation" as some like to put it.

I miss civwar reenactment, hubby though is talking about SASS/CAS so might get to do it again

Comment

I don't know if this fits but it's a Women's Health concern for me and I don't really know if this warrants it's own topic yet. If it turns out that it could, then I'll make the adjustments later.

Anyway... my question is this: Are there any foods that could possibly interfere with becoming pregnant? I know that there aren't any Birth Control foods or else women would be ALL OVER that instead of BC. Or to be more accurate - at least to my knowledge there aren't. But are there foods that could muddle things up enough to prevent conception, if the conditions were right? It's a weird question I just thought of and haven't had the time to research.
                  PS: I already know there are foods to avoid while pregnant, so DURING pregnancy isn't my concern. It's BEFORE that I'm wondering about.
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Does this help?
                    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
                      I don't know if this fits but it's a Women's Health concern for me and I don't really know if this warrants it's own topic yet. If it turns out that it could, then I'll make the adjustments later.

Anyway... my question is this: Are there any foods that could possibly interfere with becoming pregnant? I know that there aren't any Birth Control foods or else women would be ALL OVER that instead of BC. Or to be more accurate - at least to my knowledge there aren't. But are there foods that could muddle things up enough to prevent conception, if the conditions were right? It's a weird question I just thought of and haven't had the time to research.
                      PS: I already know there are foods to avoid while pregnant, so DURING pregnancy isn't my concern. It's BEFORE that I'm wondering about.
                      Stuff like caffeine can cause early enough miscarriage that you might not even realize you are pregnant yet. I think (if I remember the stats right), its overuse is indicated in some 50% of early miscarriages. I've also heard that soy products (if you drink soy milk, etc and have alot of soy in your diet) are a no-no, due to the fake estrogens. Foods with high nitrates (like hot dogs, bologna) might also affect fertility. And, don't take asprin or ibuprofen for the same reason as the caffeine.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I remember reading something about how lesbian relationships were quite common among married women back then. They were referred to as "romantic friends", I believe, and it was generally socially accepted.

Comment

Stuff like caffeine can cause early enough miscarriage that you might not even realize you are pregnant yet. I think (if I remember the stats right), its overuse is indicated in some 50% of early miscarriages. I've also heard that soy products (if you drink soy milk, etc and have alot of soy in your diet) are a no-no, due to the fake estrogens. Foods with high nitrates (like hot dogs, bologna) might also affect fertility. And, don't take asprin or ibuprofen for the same reason as the caffeine.
                          Ah, well, I don't really drink much caffeine (coffee-products give me heartburn and I stopped drinking much soda pop years ago), or consume much soy and I hate hot dogs and bologna, lol. So I'm safe from all of them.
                          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                          Sneak Attack
                          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I know a few things that can affect male fertility, more just reducing sperm count if there is too much fat in the diet, not balancing the right ammounts of protien and fatty acids, but I don't know as much about avoiding food to change female fertility, sorry.
                            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Anyway... my question is this: Are there any foods that could possibly interfere with becoming pregnant? I know that there aren't any Birth Control foods or else women would be ALL OVER that instead of BC. Or to be more accurate - at least to my knowledge there aren't...
                              Here's a famous plant used for birth control. It was so popular that it appears to now be extinct.

Also, I think I remember that sweet potatoes & yams are high in female hormone-like stuff - not sure how that would affect things, although...

OK - here's a linky quote:

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I don't know if you've come into contact with any of these, but... the plants below have all been used to some extent as birth control for women. One of my coworkers is Vietnamese, & she uses megadoses of white pepper to bring on her period.

Abrus precatorius - rosary peas (it's a toxic ornamental, prevents proteins from bonding in cells, may have some use in treating cancer - which is a fast-growing cell just like a fertilized human egg)

Andrographis paniculata - 'King of Bitters' (research says it's not highly effective)

Ferula asafoetida - asafoetida (stimulant, can cause muscle spasms/contractions in large doses - some people use the foul stuff as seasoning)

Piper nigrum - common black pepper (not sure of the action on this one - seems to mainly be a stimulant to cause uterine contractions)

Plumbago spp. (P. indica, P. zeylanica, etc.) - (estrogenic activity shown useful as an oral contraceptive and abortifacient)

Gloriosa superba - Glory lily (extract is used topically to cause muscle spasms/contractions)

Mimosa pudica - sensitive plant (hey, whaddaya know, I found actual documentation that it is an effective birth control: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18061708)

Leonurus sibiricus - Motherwort (There's almost nothing out there indicating motherwort is useful as a birth control medication. But, it has been shown to reduce post-miscarriage/abortion uterine bleeding so in Ayurveda, TCM & other traditional medicine systems it's often combined w/stimulant abortifacients).
                                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                                X