Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women health issues (The public version)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women health issues (The public version)

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=687.msg13308#msg13308 date=1289807488]
    I might have skipped previous posts about this. You know I keep seeing those commercials for heavy bleeding. Something with a chic sitting and it's raining rose petals. Have you tried medication first?
    [/quote]

You might be thinking of Lysteda:

http://www.lysteda.com/about_lysteda.aspx

It's tranexamic acid, which is used to stop prolonged bleeding. It's been sold as Cyklokapron for hemophilia, oral surgery, trauma & nosebleeds.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=687.msg13422#msg13422 date=1289845890]

It's tranexamic acid, which is used to stop prolonged bleeding. It's been sold as Cyklokapron for hemophilia, oral surgery, trauma & nosebleeds.
      [/quote]
      yep yep. That's it. Thanks!
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=687.msg13422#msg13422 date=1289845890]

[/quote]

again, thanks!
        I have many options to ask about now
        What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Ok...I've waited to post this, because it's a little embarrassing, but the girls are unhappy. And when they're unhappy, I'm unhappy.

I started playing with a local orchestra last September. It's a lot of fun, but we don't get payed(shucks!). I'm hoping to branch out from there, to either teaching, or getting involved in some musical group(s) that *do* get payed. Thing is, I'm a lot more busty then I was back when I last played regularly (after getting married and having kids went from a small B up to and E or even F, and am now in D-DD territory). If playing sitting down, I *need* to sit right on the edge of my seat, given my style of playing, changing that is not an option.

I've found, though, that after a two-hour rehearsal, my upper back is KILLING ME. We played the concert on the 10th, two hours with no breaks, and I felt like I was going to scream.

Getting new bras is obviously on the agenda--I'm still wearing some I got over a year and 20+ pounds ago. But I can't get them right away...until sometime after Christmas we're going to be strapped to get more then diapers, and neither me or L is getting any purchased presents.

I was wondering if a corset might potentially help...not tight-laced, but just to provide a little extra back support.

Ideas?

I don't have orchestra start up again until the first Wed of January, and no concert until March, but I'd rather start trying to get a grip on this now...particularly because my back was sore for the better part of a week after the concert, and I don't want to give myself some serious problems :P
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I use the nuvaring. LOVE IT. Out of sight, out of mind.

I haven't gotten any side effects.

And either I'm infertile or it works...

Comment

I worked with someone who had breast reduction surgery. She had such back problems that insurance even covered it. She said it was the best thing she ever did. I don't know what size she was before surgery, but now I think she's a full C and very happy. And recovery time was about a couple of weeks, not lifting anything heavy, things like that.

I don't know if that's something you could do or not, but it's an idea.
              ~~~TigerGypsy~~~

Comment

[quote author=tigergypsy link=topic=687.msg15004#msg15004 date=1290203272]
                I worked with someone who had breast reduction surgery. She had such back problems that insurance even covered it. She said it was the best thing she ever did. I don't know what size she was before surgery, but now I think she's a full C and very happy. And recovery time was about a couple of weeks, not lifting anything heavy, things like that.

I don't know if that's something you could do or not, but it's an idea.
                [/quote]

I had a breast reduction in 2001 and it was the best thing I ever did. I went from an F to a full D (I have always had large breast) but I can tell you the back pain immediatly went away. And my insurance covered it because I had the option of a breast reduction or a back surgery.

But posture is the key to keeping the pain away. I played in band all through school so I know how you feel being "stuck" in a certain position for awhile. It is agonizing!

Comment

Sanz getting the bras...can you find a seat pillow that will help you sit up better and support your back? Or back exercises via youtube? I found great stretching videos for my foot ailment and it's worked wonders.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=687.msg14995#msg14995 date=1290201405]

I was wondering if a corset might potentially help...not tight-laced, but just to provide a little extra back support.

Ideas?

I don't have orchestra start up again until the first Wed of January, and no concert until March, but I'd rather start trying to get a grip on this now...particularly because my back was sore for the better part of a week after the concert, and I don't want to give myself some serious problems :P
                    [/quote]

First off, I'd recommend an exercise ball. Sit at that at home, instead of a desk chair when you are at the computer--you don't even have to do exercises with it (but that will help too). It engages your abs and back--which work together. To have a good back, you need good abs...

Second, yes...the corset will help because it forces good posture while you are wearing it. Which means you are working those muscles. Just get one that fits properly because chasing kids in a corset is a chore.

Third, I'd recommend looking for back exercises you can do at home on the net---yoga poses and pilates are good, also...anything targeting the abs as well...since its a whole body core thing. Belly dancing works there too, if you want to add in movement...but the yoga is nice because you can add in meditation and kill two birds with one stone.

If you get to a point where you can afford it, swimming is really good core work--particularly just kicking with a kickboard.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Exactly what I was wondering. Thanks you guys!

I didn't even think of exercises or some sort of seat pillow.

As for breast reduction...I'd love to get one eventually. Given how much I've already lost from my cleavage, though, I'm thinking that by the time I could actually afford to get one, it would have more to do with pinning them back up where they belong then actually reducing mass. Could be wrong, though, especially if I start having regular back pain associated with the closest thing I have to a profession. :P
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=687.msg14995#msg14995 date=1290201405]

Ideas?
                        [/quote]

Ace bandages!

I got tig bitties seemingly overnight when I was 11 & I was in band, playing the flute. I tried every bra available, from sports bras to those old-fashioned Playtex rocket-launchers & nothing relieved my upper back & shoulder pain.

My gym coach suggested Ace bandages - getting a couple of them & binding my boobs by - the Ace bandages have the elasticity you need to move & help support your muscles without letting your muscles become dependent on them (which can be a drawback of corsets). I had to experiment a little with which wrapping style worked best, but it was a lifesaver during Pep rallies & games all through high school.

Comment

For the ladies looking for a permanent birth control solution, Essure is a non surgical tubal ligation. It though is PERMANENT there is no going back after this (except in-vitro).

Comment

Hey! I have a new question.

I've never had acne before in my life. I'll get one or two spots at that time of the month but nothing more than that, but suddenly I have this really bad break-out on my face. It isn't the time of the month and I haven't changed my diet lately or anything. I am really confused. I'm thinking it might be one of three things:

1. I've started swimming a lot more again and that could be drying out my skin.
                            2. My contraceptive implant is due to be changed in October, so that could be causing a great deal of hormonal changes.
                            3. I have been stressing about my work for the upcoming exhibition.

Or a mix of all three. But my question is how to take care of it. I know it isn't acne, but I've never had this many spots before EVER and I don't want to start. My mum has pretty bad adult acne and the idea of following her into having acne horrifies me. So any help in dealing with this break out would be very helpful.
                            "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Stress can bring it about as well as swimming drying out your skin (at least in my experience). I have good luck with using witch hazel for a mild astringent on my face every morning and night and I dab tea tree oil on the pimples themselves. It seems to help bring them down at least

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                                Hey! I have a new question.

I've never had acne before in my life. I'll get one or two spots at that time of the month but nothing more than that, but suddenly I have this really bad break-out on my face. It isn't the time of the month and I haven't changed my diet lately or anything. I am really confused. I'm thinking it might be one of three things:

1. I've started swimming a lot more again and that could be drying out my skin.
                                2. My contraceptive implant is due to be changed in October, so that could be causing a great deal of hormonal changes.
                                3. I have been stressing about my work for the upcoming exhibition.

Or a mix of all three. But my question is how to take care of it. I know it isn't acne, but I've never had this many spots before EVER and I don't want to start. My mum has pretty bad adult acne and the idea of following her into having acne horrifies me. So any help in dealing with this break out would be very helpful.
                                It's hard to find a balanced treatment for regular ol' acne break-outs. Dry skin = irritation, irritation means your skin produces more oil to protect it, more oil = more acne. And I know the knee-jerk reaction to having oily skin is to get rid of the excess oil by cleaning the crap out of it. If you exfoliate often, stop during active breakouts - it causes further damage and can spread bacteria to unaffected pores. Same goes for regular face-washing - if you're washing your face more than once a day it can also make your face try to protect itself with more oil. When you do wash or shower, try not to use super-hot water on your face. Basically, you want to avoid anything that will make your skin panic & produce more oil.

- Salicylic acid products usually help, but depending on the other ingredients they can dry your skin out.

- Witch hazel can help, but most of the time, commercially, it's in an alcohol base, which will dry your face. If you can get loose cut witch hazel from a health food store, you can make a tea & use it as a facial wash. Horsetail is also good as a tea, and so is buckthorn, which is usually sold in lotion form for varicose veins.

- Touching your own face throughout the day, which people do without realizing it, is really bad. I notice that after a couple of nights of helping on the phones at work, I'll have pimples that match where the phone has rested on the side of my ear and next to my mouth. Yummy!

- Some people have luck with using plain yogurt (with no additives) as a cold cream - the cultures in yogurt can help balance out your skin's natural bacteria levels and it's not a drying agent. It doesn't work for me, but I have seen it work for other people.

If your acne (or your mom's) is accompanied by flushing on your cheeks, forehead & chin, it could be rosacea - I've got it, experimented with just about every treatment on the planet and it's done nothing but cost me money. I'm just hoping I don't end up w/a nose like WC Fields. I'm actually thinking about facial cosmetic tattooing to cover or lessen some of the constant redness :P According to the dermatologists I've seen, rosacea isn't a 'disease', it's a 'complexion type', and there is no 'cure', only things that can treat the most visible symptoms.

Comment

Working...
                                X