Another word for dark... Severe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another word for dark... Severe?

Just reading a little of Cerridwen, some of the pages I saw related her as being a 'dark' goddess or having 'dark' powers. Intuitively, I know 'dark' doesn't necessarily mean evil, so can you help me think of synonyms? I was thinking 'severe' as in 'severe consequences.' Thanks for patience while I learn. Maybe even explain to me what darkness is in paganism? In Christianity, it means lack of truth or lack of God's presence or blessing. I don't think that particular interpretation of darkness fits here.

Here is one of the pages: http://www.joellessacredgrove.com/Celtic/deitiesc.html

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to explain 'severity' a little more. Experiencing the Severity of God is one of those periods of time that facilitate life changes. It's a catalyst that makes the human understand a standard has been breached. In that period of time, you know exactly what must change and why. Judgement has been suspended because this is your chance. So that's what I mean by severe.. weighty and powerful. Hope that helps. I'm trying to get the feel of it ^.^

Re: Another word for dark... Severe?

Grim
    Intense
    Stygian
    Shadowy
    Hidden
    Occultic
    Somber
    Foreboding
    Dour
    Arcane
    Murky
    Inscrutible

My personal favorite:
    Austere

Comment

9_29_michael2.jpg

is my standing answer to the premise of making dark equivalent to severe. My other standing answer is Apollo in a bad mood. Severity is a trait used equally on both sides of the spectrum. It just gets flavored differently depending on if you're dealing with say a deity of the underworld or an angel with a flaming sword.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post
        Grim
        Intense
        Stygian
        Shadowy
        Hidden
        Occultic
        Somber
        Foreboding
        Dour
        Arcane
        Murky
        Inscrutible

My personal favorite:
        Austere
        This is a great list for what your looking for I think. some that the book is probably referencing when saying "dark" are: Shadowy, Hidden, Occultic, and Austere. "Dark" gods are usually associated with magic, death, or some kind of mystery their lessons are usually hard and are most drastically life changing then others (like the shaman dying and coming back to serve the people). They can seem Severe to others looking in from the outside, but from most I know who have relationships with dark gods say they are very kind and mothering if a bit stern.

these are all very general concepts that can apply to some dark gods and not to others. I don't know much about Cerridwen so I can't give any really good examples specifically for her but that is the general idea from how I understand it.
        I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
        because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
        I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
        for a might have-been has never been,
        but a has was once an are.

-Milton Berle-

Comment

Does anyone know if the Celtic peoples referred to such deities as 'dark' (or any of the other words suggested), in their own tongues, or is this a terminology that came into use in modern times? I think answering this could help us to understand such deities a little better.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Cerridwen had made a pot of wisdom for her son, She is a holder of knowledge and secrets. When Gwion, the boy in charge of watching the pot/cauldron, accidentally got some in his mouth, she devoured him and from that Taliesin was born. (He is often used as the example of the first Celtic Shaman). As Shawn pointed out, these are aspects that can be assigned to a 'dark' god. Thoughts of death (even if followed by rebirth), knowledge and secrets.
            My Tumblr
            My Webcomic
            My Twitter

Comment

Thanks everyone really helpful responses. I think I have the feel for it now. She's a dark goddess in the sense of foreboding maybe.. Not really knowing what exactly is going to happen, but knowing that if you come out, you're going to be different? I hope I'm on the right track. Maybe someone who has a connection with Cerridwen can give me an example of her display of darkness in their life? Also, I had been reading that some gods are considered solar, but she is of the moon. Does this come into it as well?

Comment

I think in the case of Cerridwen, it's about violence and her close association with death. Most people view a close association with death, or suffering, to be "dark".

Many feel that wisdom and inspiration come from suffering. For example, many believe the best artists (of whatever kind) are those who have known the most suffering. So the association with Cerridwen and wisdom could connect her to the "cauldron" (burning oil) that results in wisdom... experiencing suffering is nothing like hearing about it and thus it lends a greater portion of both wisdom and understanding of it.

Also, great "gifts" from a prophetic perspective, are also frequently combined with tremendous suffering. There is a lot of view of suffering or misery as "dark". Foreseeing suffering would be considered 'dark'. Foreseeing terrible events would be "dark" prophecy.

So to find the right word, you'd want to understand the concepts behind how wisdom is fashioned. The Cauldron would likely be a symbol of suffering or going through terrible things to gain wisdom (and / or artistic talent).

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post
                  Many feel that wisdom and inspiration come from suffering. For example, many believe the best artists (of whatever kind) are those who have known the most suffering. So the association with Cerridwen and wisdom could connect her to the "cauldron" (burning oil) that results in wisdom... experiencing suffering is nothing like hearing about it and thus it lends a greater portion of both wisdom and understanding of it.
                  This makes good sense to me. My best songs were written in hard times.

It's almost like that burning oil annoints you for the task.

Comment

I admittedly know nothing of Celtic lore, but I simply must post on a language thread.

I mean, what is the world if not riddled with 'darkness?' The grasshopper was not quick enough and the hen sits prouder, the lion miscalculates and the zebra kicks away - one way or another there is always something encroaching upon your life. Threatening it. Shaking it up. Rocking the boat. Mischief, trickery, cleverness, deception, death... is that the dark side we're speaking of? That force that keeps the earth in perfect balance by giving us all a reason to be our best?
                    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                      That force that keeps the earth in perfect balance by giving us all a reason to be our best?
                      Wow. I would give you rep points if I could!

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                        Wow. I would give you rep points if I could!
                        You should be able to rep boost Bjorn without difficulty. You meet the minimum post and rep requirements and you don't seem to have provided her any recently enough to block you.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Thanks, MaskedOne. I couldn't see the Star of David because of the background I've been using.

Comment

Working...
                          X