Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Markings/Henna/Tattoos

Originally posted by Shawn Cameron View Post
    lol, no offense taken. Some do, some are too polite to. Some complement it. Most ask if it’s permanent. Like most people with very visible tattoos or markings I do my best to destroy the stereo type by generally being polite and good natured. When people ask why, which inevitably happens, I explain that since I am a full time student after being in the military for 4 years, and thus don’t need to deal with the public in a professional capacity or answer to an employer I exercise my freedom of expression by doing what I like. I also explain that though I like it I understand that this time of my life will pass and I won’t be foolish enough to try and enter the workforce with face paint.
    I'd love to see a picture, if you'd be willing to post one. I used to use mud as warpaint as a kid, and I've always thought it looked fierce and strong (aka, I'd do it if I had more guts)

Mostly art.

Comment

face.jpgFaceclose.jpg

its not so bad or brave really those who know an love you will still know and love you and its a good way to weed out people who judge more on appearances and idiosyncrasies than heart or personality. the paint is a little smeared... I haven't cleaned it up since sleeping on it so the area around looks a bit red but that's just from the pillow, a little water on a Q-tip cleans it right up.
      I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
      because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
      I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
      for a might have-been has never been,
      but a has was once an are.

-Milton Berle-

Comment

Shawn, that looks really awesome!
        My Tumblr
        My Webcomic
        My Twitter

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1627[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1628[/ATTACH]

its not so bad or brave really those who know an love you will still know and love you and its a good way to weed out people who judge more on appearances and idiosyncrasies than heart or personality. the paint is a little smeared... I haven't cleaned it up since sleeping on it so the area around looks a bit red but that's just from the pillow, a little water on a Q-tip cleans it right up.
          Huh. That looks really cool.

Mostly art.

Comment

I do not do anything like that. I don't write or draw on my body at all. Don't wear make-up, either.

That being said, my daughter likes all of that. So I sit her down and use face paints on her. I used henna once, but she felt like it hurt and didn't want to do it again. She's very happy with the face painting and the temp tattoos and things. I want to encourage her to do things that are easily removed or are only semi-permanent. I want her to feel free to decorate her body as she sees fit, but not to do things that are permanent for social sake.

There are some things in life that you may want to do which would be extremely difficult for someone with permanent body alterations to do well in, based in part on social stigma and because in some of them, it's simply inconvenient. My daughter has already shown a strong penchant for acting and singing. These are careers where she will be best off avoiding permanent bodily alterations, so that she has a greater career choice.

On the other hand, I don't want to discourage her from personal representation and having choice and enjoying her body the way she sees fit.

Until she is an adult, I will keep her from permanent alterations. Then when she is an adult, she can do as she wishes with permanent alterations. Yes, I admit it readily, I do not ever want to be blamed for not stopping her, given her leanings towards acting and singing.

Yet I want her to have some freedom at the same time. A lot of parents get really upset if their child draws on themselves. I don't do that. And I let her wear make-up at 6 (it's not like she can apply it right, anyway, and it makes her happy ).

I think that the choice to make permanent bodily alterations is personal. Yet I also think it should be made with full understanding of the potentials and ramifications. Someday she may want a tattoo. For now, she's very happy with writing on herself.

I think we'll try the sharpies idea, though. Maybe with some stencils. I bet that will make her very, very happy!

Comment

Here's a recipe on how to make homemade henna paste

Ingrediants: Fresh body art henna powder, finely sifted - bottled lemon juice, warm water or tea brew - 100% pure essential oils, such as eucalyptus, cajeput, tea tree or lavender (also known as terps) - Sugar, preferably dextrose or fructose.

here's how: Take 2 tbsp of henna powder (about 25 grams), and put it into a bowl. Add 1 tsp of sugar and mix well.
              Heat your liquid of choice (from the ingredient list) (about 1/4 cup) on the stove or in your microwave, and add it slowly to your henna powder. Mix well until it is the consistency of play dough/ mashed potatoes. Cover your bowl and let it sit for 2-12 hours (depending on henna powder chosen).
              Then add 1 tsp of “terps” (essential oil). Cover again and let it sit for another 6-12 hours. (the hours depend on each individual henna powders…they all have their own dye release…it should say on the henna powder you buy though!)
              Test your henna paste periodically by placing a bit of paste onto your palm and let it sit for 1 minute. Remove the paste by washing it off and see if you have a bright pumpkin orange stain indicating that it is ready to use.
              Add more lemon juice/water (not warmed up) a little at a time and mix well. Do this until you have it to the consistency of toothpaste.

ALSO: the fresher the henna powder, the darker the results…so make sure to get fresh and good quality henna powder.

Following the next couple steps will ensure that it stays around longer and will ensure a darker stain:
              1. Once applied and dry, spray or dab with lemon & sugar mixture. Allow to dry.
              2. Wrap your design in toilet paper, medical tape, or sealant. Keep warm.
              3. Let design sit for 4 to 6 hours (or overnight for best results)
              4. Remove paste (wash it off) and apply henna balm!
              5. Avoid contact with water for 8 to 24 hours to ensure a beautiful stain.
              BTW your design will appear light in color at first, as it takes up to 24 hours for darkest results.

It seems like allot of work...but it really isn't!! plus it is so worth the wait and the work!!! have fun
              with warm greetings!

Comment

Originally posted by wisp View Post
                Shawn, that looks really awesome!
                Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                Huh. That looks really cool.
                Thanky thanky. Its simple, simi subtle and water soluble. like I said I don't feel like myself if I don't have it, and its the only makeup I wear with the exception of mascara and eye shadow on very special occasions when I want to "feel pretty"
                I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
                because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
                I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
                for a might have-been has never been,
                but a has was once an are.

-Milton Berle-

Comment

Thanky thanky. Its simple, simi subtle and water soluble. like I said I don't feel like myself if I don't have it, and its the only makeup I wear with the exception of mascara and eye shadow on very special occasions when I want to "feel pretty"
                  I used to do something similar with eyeliner. I'd draw vine patterns starting at the corner of one eye.
                  My Tumblr
                  My Webcomic
                  My Twitter

Comment

I dye my hair with henna, messy, but natural, and the best colour!

I have plans currently for 3 tattoos, a pentacle on my inner left wrist, a hieroglyph on my back/stomach (can't decide, tramp stamp? Or the possibility of stretch marks) and a runic symbol on my left ankle. Children's names some day too, but no kids yet so not up to that.

my brother owes me the pentacle... It's a 21st birthday present... And I just turned 22.....
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I'm really into calligraphy, so one of my tats is going to be my daughters name (Alyce-Ahn) along with her height, weight, and birth date with her feet underneath.

I'm also going to get little symbols all over the underside of my left arm and they all mean different things. Like an anchor: I grew up by the sea, and also it means stability; a V i designed that reminds me of V for Vendetta and tells me to be strong even if an entire country is against me; and lots of other little things. But the greatest part is that I designed them to all click together so it looks really unclear until you look up close and can see all of them.

Also, I'm a henna addict. I've only had it once and I'm hooked!

Comment

Working...
                      X